Joe Morgan's NL Central comments

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Joe Morgan's NL Central comments

Post by mikechamp »

From an ESPN chat. We start with his intro (just like last week).

Mandatory Linkage:
http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=17084
===============

Joe Morgan
The NL Central, it seems like it is going to go to the last day and maybe further! Let's get started!
------------------------

Mr. Morgan, what ELSE can happen to the Cardinals? Hamilton's death (he had to mean Hancock), myriad injuries and now Encarnacion (a horrible injury) and Rolen out for the year. And yet, they are only 2 out of 1st place. Shouldn't LaRusssa getting some points for manager of the year?

Joe Morgan
Well I mentioned that but it seems like we chose to go in the opposite direction last year with Gerardi winning the award over Willie Randolph; what I mean by that is that last year we chose a guy whose team did not have a winning record. So I do not know how they vote anymore. I think LaRussa should get major consideration, but I still like Willie Randolph. LaRussa has done a great job keeping this team together despite injuries to key players.
------------------------

What are David Wright's chances for MVP? He's been on an absolute tear the last couple of months...

Joe Morgan
This is a year when the NL MVP is very open. Usually you have a sure guy like Pujols, or Howard last year. It is really wide open this season and Wright has a great chance. Last year there was a debate between Wright and Reyes, but this year I think Wright is the best MVP candiate on the Mets. But there are still 20+ games to go, and if he finishes strong and the Mets win the East he would be a favorite.
------------------------

With the increasing struggle of the Brewers bullpen/starting pitching, do you see any way for them to actually regain the central lead?

Joe Morgan
The difficult part is they have lost their confidence in both areas. Ben Sheets being back may help the starters as far as relieving pressure, but the bullpen is still a problem. It will be difficult. But the Cubs should have a bigger lead than they have, but that is a result of the way Zambrano has struggled. So the Brewers still have a chance, just because the division is so inconsitent. I do think it will go down to the last day, and maybe one more, just because all three teams are so erratic.
------------------------

fanforever
Retired

Re: Joe Morgan's NL Central comments

Post by fanforever »

Well I mentioned that but it seems like we chose to go in the opposite direction last year with Gerardi winning the award over Willie Randolph; what I mean by that is that last year we chose a guy whose team did not have a winning record. So I do not know how they vote anymore. I think LaRussa should get major consideration, but I still like Willie Randolph. LaRussa has done a great job keeping this team together despite injuries to key players
it figures he likes Wilie Randolph

Ace
Perennial All-Star

Post by Ace »

fanforever wrote:
Well I mentioned that but it seems like we chose to go in the opposite direction last year with Gerardi winning the award over Willie Randolph; what I mean by that is that last year we chose a guy whose team did not have a winning record. So I do not know how they vote anymore. I think LaRussa should get major consideration, but I still like Willie Randolph. LaRussa has done a great job keeping this team together despite injuries to key players
And of course he doesn't list reasons why he does.

fanforever
Retired

Post by fanforever »

What bothers me is that Willie Randolph has not done anything at all this year. the Mets are where they should be. In fact, they should be a little better IMO

Leeyat
All-Star

Post by Leeyat »

Ace wrote:
fanforever wrote:
And of course he doesn't list reasons why he does.
He is biased! :wink:

clement
Perennial All-Star

Post by clement »

Well, he thinks Randolph should have won last year. I agree with him. Girardi??