Wellemeyer wins Giants 5th starter spot

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Lesson
Grandmaster Flashchat

Wellemeyer wins Giants 5th starter spot

Post by Lesson »

Madison Bumgarner-S-Giants Mar. 23 - 11:48 am et

Giants optioned LHP Madison Bumgarner to Triple-A Fresno.
And there we have it. Todd Wellemeyer will serve as the Giants' fifth starter this season while Bumgarner will kick off the year where he belongs: Triple-A. And we expect fellow youngster Kevin Pucetas to join him in the next few days. Wellemeyer, 31, has a 1.20 ERA over 15 innings (five appearances) this spring, while the 20-year-old Bumgarner turned a 6.43 ERA in seven innings. We're sure to see all of them this season.
Related: Todd Wellemeyer

Zomby Woof
All-Star

Re: Wellemeyer wins Giants 5th starter spot

Post by Zomby Woof »

cardslesson101 wrote:
Madison Bumgarner-S-Giants Mar. 23 - 11:48 am et

Giants optioned LHP Madison Bumgarner to Triple-A Fresno.
And there we have it. Todd Wellemeyer will serve as the Giants' fifth starter this season while Bumgarner will kick off the year where he belongs: Triple-A. And we expect fellow youngster Kevin Pucetas to join him in the next few days. Wellemeyer, 31, has a 1.20 ERA over 15 innings (five appearances) this spring, while the 20-year-old Bumgarner turned a 6.43 ERA in seven innings. We're sure to see all of them this season.
Related: Todd Wellemeyer
Well, he had a Kip Wells-esque spring. So lets hope he has a Kip Wells-esque season...

Itll be just my luck that he pitches 7 shutout innings in 1 of the 2 games Im going to in SF. :shock:

tscards
Veteran Player

Post by tscards »

BWAAAHAAAAHAAAAAAAA!!!!!!! :lol:

Cronos
In perpetuum

Post by Cronos »

He/his agent picked probably the best ballpark out there for his skill set.

Hungary Jack
Mother Earth

Post by Hungary Jack »

Bully for Welley. I wish him well. I think he's a decent candidate to bounce back and have a good season, especially in that park. I think the big jump in innings in 2008 probably accounted for his poor 2009. He has good enough stuff to be a 5th starter for the Giants.

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

Cronos69 wrote:He/his agent picked probably the best ballpark out there for his skill set.
He has a skill set?

Just kidding.

Richie Allen
Perennial All-Star

Post by Richie Allen »

I don't think the Wellemeyer as a starter experiment was a complete failure. 64 starts at around 100 ERA+. ERA around 4.30 with a 23-21 record. You could make the argument that we payed him too much and expected too much out of him but, otherwise, he did a pretty good job for us.

cards2468
Hall Of Famer

Post by cards2468 »

he pitched a ton of innings in 08 which was a major jump fom him, his failures last year came as no surprise

I wish him the best out in SF
Last edited by cards2468 on March 23 10, 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TGantz
R-E-S-P-E-C-T...What Dr Pepper Means to Me

Post by TGantz »

I never understood the hate for Wellemeyer. It wasn't his fault that his arm was a wet noodle last year but he kept getting called on to perform. He has good stuff, just not good endurance.

Cronos
In perpetuum

Post by Cronos »

TGantz wrote:I never understood the hate for Wellemeyer. It wasn't his fault that his arm was a wet noodle last year but he kept getting called on to perform.
I know I've brought this up before with the Isringhausen thing back in late '06, but I feel that the player has at least a little bit of the impetus (as well as the manager, mind you, I'm not leaving TLR out of this) to at least acknowledge "I'm not getting the job done, here". And maybe he said that, maybe he didn't.

But stubbornness on both the manager's part and the player's part nearly cost us a division and a world series title in '06 (Izzy). Obviously Wellemeyer's crapitude in '09 didn't have any effect whatsoever on our playoff chances, but while this situation doesn't compare precisely it definitely reminded me a lot of that whole situation in late '06. I understand the argument that the player is going to perform regardless of how he's feeling because of the obligation, being a team player, his salary, his manager wanting him to, but I still feel that there needs to be this recognition on the player's part of "Hey, Skip? I'm kind of not being very good. And it's been going on for a long while, and it's not because I'm injured or tired. Maybe someone else should have a shot."