General musing: Sweet Corn

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
TabascoElvis
Perennial All-Star

General musing: Sweet Corn

Post by TabascoElvis »

Not sure why I thought of this today, but I have an uncle who used to eat corn on the cob by putting a healthy chunk of butter in his mouth and then eating the corn around it. That's the most bizarre of several different buttering methods I've witnessed/used. I learned to butter corn by slathering a slice of bread with butter then using that like a little cradle and rolling the cob around in it. You'd get multiple runs with that slice then had some nice buttery bread when you were done eating corn. I've seen people put a whole stick of butter on the table and just roll the cob around the top side of it lengthwise. The little plastic buttering contraptions where you force butter through a grid are a joke in my estimation. And the butter knife thing just never seemed real practical, if the corn's hot as it should be the knife heats up too and then the butter falls off.

I can't bring myself to do the parmesan/mayonnaise/chile powder thing. I'm not averse to parm or mayo or chile powder, but I can't see them together and I can't fathom the pair with corn.

It's all academic, really, since the last several years we've just been grilling corn in the husk then finishing it with black pepper and lime juice when it's ready. It's a good combo.

I really miss the corn stands down around Collinsville, there'd be nights in the summer where our dinner was nothing but peaches and cream sweet corn and fresh sliced tomatoes. Locally corn's just come into season up here.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Re: General musing: Sweet Corn

Post by Jocephus »

nsfw?
[/youtube]

Leroy
a bad penny always turns up
Location: Hanging out with my redneck, white socks and Blue Ribbon beer.

Post by Leroy »

I've been using spray butter.

Sutter'sBeard
is the oscar meyer weiner kid

Post by Sutter'sBeard »

I take a slice of bread and absolutely coat it with butter/spread. I then roll the cobb in the bread. Eat the melty-butter slice of bread last.

TabascoElvis
Perennial All-Star

Post by TabascoElvis »

Leroy wrote:I've been using spray butter.
Yeah, but what do you use on corn? :wink:

Leroy
a bad penny always turns up
Location: Hanging out with my redneck, white socks and Blue Ribbon beer.

Post by Leroy »

TabascoElvis wrote:
Leroy wrote:I've been using spray butter.
Yeah, but what do you use on corn? :wink:
Doh!

jeffbgoofy
All-Star

Post by jeffbgoofy »

I put lots of butter, hot salt, and pepper on it. I have done the cheese, but it is not necessary with good corn...

TabascoElvis
Perennial All-Star

Post by TabascoElvis »

jeffbgoofy wrote:I put lots of butter, hot salt, and pepper on it. I have done the cheese, but it is not necessary with good corn...
You've given me an inspiration. The spice shop I moonlight in has habanero infused salt. lightbulb Not sure why I didn't think of that sooner.

cards2468
Hall Of Famer

Post by cards2468 »

I don't use butter, the corn tastes good enough without it, so I try to avoid adding unnecessary calories and cholesteral

jeffbgoofy
All-Star

Post by jeffbgoofy »

TabascoElvis wrote:
jeffbgoofy wrote:I put lots of butter, hot salt, and pepper on it. I have done the cheese, but it is not necessary with good corn...
You've given me an inspiration. The spice shop I moonlight in has habanero infused salt. lightbulb Not sure why I didn't think of that sooner.
Yeah I think they quit making hot salt, so I bought like 4 containers when it was clearanced at Dierbergs