Random Baseball Musings

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
haltz
Hall Of Famer

Re: Random Baseball Musings

Post by haltz »

MrCrowesGarden wrote:
January 16 23, 10:05 am
Ken Rosenthal reports the Cardinals and Marlins have had preliminary discussions about Pablo Lopez and adds that the Marlins would probably want Noot while the Cardinals would be more inclined to trade Carlson or O’Neill.
Pretty confident Noot for Lopez makes the team better, but I really hope they don't trade him. Would definitely prefer one of those other guys as well.

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardsfantx »

I’m not really impressed with López, so I’m not giving up Noot. Lopez is more of the same type of pitcher we already have. I’d give them O’Neill and Burleson but that’s about my limit. I’d prefer they target a SO pitcher (whoever that may be)

I’d be interested, if they do trade for a SP, who they move to the bullpen (I know you can never have enough SP)…assuming they’re all healthy?…

Waino? Nope not telling him to go to the bullpen in his last year.
Mikolas? Nope prob our best pitcher overall.
Flaherty? Nope; has the most upside of our SP.
Montgomery? Nope; he’s very effective as a SP.
Matz? Only guy I could see moved; but we just signed him as a SP last offseason. Would the cards (not us, the cards), stick him in the bullpen right after that if he’s healthy?

Phansett
Fringe Major League Player

Post by Phansett »

Unless that go 6-man, which I haven’t heard seriously proposed by the team, HHudson is already in the pen as long man. VerHagen can be long, Pallente long, Naughtiness long, Thompson, Woodford, etc…
I don’t think I like how there are so many 3-5 starters all throughout the 40-man.
I agree, Lopez doesn’t solve a problem, just adds to issue while lowering OF capital.

I’d much rather see some OF depth paired with controllable #3 type pitching years to get a more impactful pitcher.

Fat_Bulldog
likes to grate his own cheese

Post by Fat_Bulldog »

What to do with Liboratore and Hudson?

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

Castellini just giving up the game.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

Magneto2.0
Hall Of Famer

Post by Magneto2.0 »

haltz wrote:
January 16 23, 10:48 am
MrCrowesGarden wrote:
Ken Rosenthal reports the Cardinals and Marlins have had preliminary discussions about Pablo Lopez and adds that the Marlins would probably want Noot while the Cardinals would be more inclined to trade Carlson or O’Neill.
Pretty confident Noot for Lopez makes the team better, but I really hope they don't trade him. Would definitely prefer one of those other guys as well.
I wouldn't do that for Noot. Lopez is good but he's more of a 3rd starter and probably a 5th starter behind Flaherty, Waino, Monty, and Mikolas. And his second half fall off last year scares me.

2022 had a 2.87 ERA at the break, 4.97 rest of the way. He has upside and can be dominant at times so I'd be happy if we got him, but not at the expense of Nootbaar.

haltz
Hall Of Famer

Post by haltz »

Magneto2.0 wrote:
January 16 23, 5:37 pm
haltz wrote:
January 16 23, 10:48 am
MrCrowesGarden wrote:
I wouldn't do that for Noot. Lopez is good but he's more of a 3rd starter and probably a 5th starter behind Flaherty, Waino, Monty, and Mikolas. And his second half fall off last year scares me.

2022 had a 2.87 ERA at the break, 4.97 rest of the way. He has upside and can be dominant at times so I'd be happy if we got him, but not at the expense of Nootbaar.
All I'm saying is think that technically Lopez a bigger upgrade over the inevitable replacement level starts than Noot is over the guy who takes those at-bats, but I agree with you that I'm not a huge fan of the trade.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

So we blinked at Carlson for Soto but are pushing him for Lopez?

I mean I'd trade Carlson for Lopez but that seems so weird.

Magneto2.0
Hall Of Famer

Post by Magneto2.0 »

CardsofSTL wrote:
January 17 23, 12:14 am
So we blinked at Carlson for Soto but are pushing him for Lopez?

I mean I'd trade Carlson for Lopez but that seems so weird.
It was Carlson plus plus plus (Walker and others) that they balked at, not Carlson being the centerpiece.