Post by Superorganism »

phins wrote:
April 19 22, 8:55 am
Big Amoco Sign wrote:
April 18 22, 6:01 pm
cardsfantx wrote:
April 18 22, 5:09 pm
His hitting bombs but he’s also struck out in nearly half of his ABs
Only 36% so closer to 1/3 than 1/2 and samples are way too small to determine actual rate. He’s walking too so that counters his Ks. He’s not unlike O’Neill and DeJong and Bader in that regard. His K rate rivals many good players in MLB so far. And it was 19% last year in AAA.
Believe it or not, it only takes about ~50 plate appearances for K% and BB% to normalize, so we aren't far from there for Gorman.

If someone tells you they aren't concerned with the K and BB rates for Gorman and Yepez; find another person to listen to.

I was against the Pujols/Dickerson signings because I wanted these two to play in that role, but I think the Cardinals made the right decision to continue to develop them.
I agree. Let Gorman spend the entire year in AAA. Another year of control. Another year to work on plate discipline.

Tags:

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Re: The Nolan Gorman Mega Thread

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

He will not be down there another year and if you’re doing service time manipulation, it doesn’t matter after the super 2 date. The “control” is the same either way.

And Yepez is already added to the roster. And Yepez doesn’t have plate discipline issues either. Guy walks a ton.

Gorman isn’t going to learn in AAA. He should be learning as a low lineup DH and 2B here while there’s luxury of mashers in the lineup.
Last edited by Big Amoco Sign on April 19 22, 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

MinorLeagueGuy
The Angst is Real

Post by MinorLeagueGuy »

I think both of those guys need as many ABs as possible, if they're going to get traded for DeGrom this summer.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

Superorganism wrote:
April 17 22, 1:23 pm
This lineup is gonna be sick. Call him up!
Superorganism wrote: Let Gorman spend the entire year in AAA.
lol

Superorganism
Veteran Player

Post by Superorganism »

Yeah, being caught up in the moment vs thinking it through. He needs more time.

Fat_Bulldog
likes to grate his own cheese

Post by Fat_Bulldog »

Being a "fan" "fanatic" - etc. involves emotion where we might speak in contradiction to what we have previously said. That's part of the fun of being a fan.

Baseball should be fun. This forum should be fun.

When folks like to continue to "win" threads here by "I told you so" and dominating every damned thread there is, kind of makes this place suck.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

Prospects don't need to be cooking as long as people think.

There's many reasons people call them up early (you're a bad team anyways, you have luxury of other mashers to flood and obscure around them, etc.) but when you're a fringe division winner like the Cardinals, I think you have the room.

Guys like India skipped AAA entirely. Yepez has been mashing for nearly three seasons now. What else does he need to prove? Torkelson, Franco, Urias, Hayes, Chisholm, etc. all "had issues" (okay Franco is a stud forget that one) that could use more seasoning but sometimes it's best to just get them in the bigs and seeing better pitching to work it out. And it's paid off for all those guys so far. Even Jarred Kelenic who RAKED in minors is struggling and working out his issues in the majors for a playoff caliber team. Why does Gorman have to suffer AAA for two seasons when worse guys skipped AAA entirely? I just don't see how there's a set of rules the Cards need to follow that other teams don't. And these are teams ranging from good to bad.

I get India is a 2B on a weak roster with a lower FV than Gorman and Torkelson is a higher FV, but Torkelson still didn't spend much time in AAA. I think Gorman has a good amount of reps under his belt and could be called up mid year or beforehand very easily.

Luis Robert had 47 games in AAA and has been mashing for the Sox since called up. And he actually has bad plate discipline.

Gorman's 28-30% K rate is a really easy pill to swallow when you homer every 18 ABs and still hit for an OK average and walk. Who wouldn't take that over what the bottom third of the lineup is giving you? There's also no guarantees. So you call him up when ready. Never know whether an injury happens later or he struggles. Or when his peak will be. He's hitting now. Take advantage of it. Play the kids.
Last edited by Big Amoco Sign on April 19 22, 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

cylan darlson
do you think gorman should be in the bigs or is extra seasoning needed/fine?

Ben Clemens
I think it's fine
I'm high on his potential, but I don't think he's obviously the starter in the bigs right now over Edman
he's striking out more than a third of the time so far in a tiny sample
And I definitely want him playing every dya
so unless Edman is on the shelf, I'd keep Gorman in the minors for a bit
If Edman goes down, though, or Arenado, I'd definitely be comfortable bringing him up

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

Nolan Gorman with another long ball tonight, along with 3 strikeouts.

InvincibleCakeEater
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

Post by InvincibleCakeEater »

he should really stop hitting the ball over the outfield wall every game