2019 MLB Draft

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Re: 2019 MLB Draft

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

What's to dislike about a guy potentially hitting 100mph and having a nice slider? (Locey)

Nice to get some lefty heavy pitching, but I want to get a little younger.

Tags:

InvincibleCakeEater
GRB's obsessive compulsive baseball poster

Post by InvincibleCakeEater »

make that 6 of 8 being college pitchers

InvincibleCakeEater

Big Amoco Sign wrote:What's to dislike about a guy potentially hitting 100mph and having a nice slider? (Locey)

Nice to get some lefty heavy pitching, but I want to get a little younger.
outside of Thompson the only other lefty so far is Connor Thomas, an easy sign who tops out at 90

InvincibleCakeEater

First 10 rounds are over. Maybe now we can get to some interesting picks.

7 of 10 picks were college pitchers.

phins
Sobbing quietly during Fox programming

Post by phins »

I posted early in the thread I expected them to get back to what they’ve been good at, which has been drafting and developing college pitching. They’ve certainly done that to this point.

Fletcher probably costs $3 mil to get him signed and they’ve gone back to comfort zone with TrackMan data and college performers. I’m not saying it’s a bad strategy, but you could see it coming after they’ve struggled to develop toilet high school players previously.

I don’t like Fletcher, I think he’s going to end up not making enough hard contact. I love Thompson, who is exactly where the game is going with shorter starter outings, spin rates on breaking balls, and performance in college in the back half of first round.

Locey is a guy when we took him I said was Mitchell Boggs reincarnated. He’s got enough juice to try him as a starter, but he could help in two years as a reliever. I watched the Irvine kid this year and he’s another nice arm, highly competitive kid with fastball/breaking ball combo in the BOTR or middle relief.

Not a fan at all of the other picks. Plate discipline is nice on the C, but meh bat. Connor Thomas is a situational lefty as a 90th percentile. UCLA kid isn’t my type.

Personally, not my style of draft after the first round. I’d much rather have Matthew Lugo than Fletcher assuming other items don’t come out. They spent so much on Fletcher it impacted rest of draft as well. I don’t know the 10th round kid.

The Cards will get three major leaguers out of that group, probably, but at pretty low ceilings overall.

Might do a draft review if I get some time, but those are my initial thoughts on the players.

MinorLeagueGuy
The Angst is Real

Post by MinorLeagueGuy »

Phillies drafted(16thrnd?) a kid called McCarthy Tatum(IF). Family member of some school friends of mine. Kid has raked everywhere. Played a bit for Fresno before the draft. I hope he goes back to school to raise his stock, and maybe get drafted to a team that I can actually stomach.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

phins wrote: I don’t like Fletcher, I think he’s going to end up not making enough hard contact.
Is this based on two reports of his swing? With the power and exit velo being plus and then crazy speed, how could you not like him?

I don't see how you could project that he won't make contact based on the reports. He's a cold weather Vandy commit. That right there tells me he has *something*.

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardsfantx »

in our ever important 13th round we selected some Jew named Tommy; CF from UC Santa Barbara.

phins
Sobbing quietly during Fox programming

Post by phins »

Big Amoco Sign wrote:
phins wrote: I don’t like Fletcher, I think he’s going to end up not making enough hard contact.
Is this based on two reports of his swing? With the power and exit velo being plus and then crazy speed, how could you not like him?

I don't see how you could project that he won't make contact based on the reports. He's a cold weather Vandy commit. That right there tells me he has *something*.
Mainly because I’ve watched him. Been wrong before, obviously hope I am here.

And I didn’t say he didn’t have something. I don’t like spending the $2 million + it’ll take to get him signed when there were other ways to spend that money.

To me, the Cardinals took one toolsy type and then grabbed a bunch of relievers and Thompson, who is a major injury risk even for a pitcher. I like that pick, but think they went major risk or major safe in a few places. Weird draft, not one I liked, but that doesn’t mean I will be right.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

You sound knowledgeable on the topic, but did he have lots of whiffs? I wonder if they saw something that our little hitting school guys like Burgamy and Greer could correct?