MinorLeagueGuy
The Angst is Real

Re: Offseason moves thread

Post by MinorLeagueGuy »

MrCrowesGarden wrote:
December 5 22, 3:33 pm
MinorLeagueGuy wrote:
December 5 22, 3:32 pm
Sounds like Rodon is looking for 6 years. Now, i dont think he'll get it; I'm thinking 4-5 yrs, an option being the 5th year. But how often do we even see the Cards entertaining contracts for starting pitchers at around that length? It seems like 4 years is what we shoot for. I wanna say that, while we probably have given 5 years to a pitcher, it was more along the lines of an extension, or buying out the arb years.

If the theme so far is more money, less years. Does anybody think StL would try that route with Rodon? I'm going with a FAT NO. And if we ever find out we did go after him, it'll be we offer 3 years.
Mike Leake got 5 years FWIW
Zoinks. I've always felt like that offseason the FO went out and tried to do too much just so they could say "look at how much we spent!" after not getting the guys everyone thought they should've.

Magneto2.0
Hall Of Famer

Post by Magneto2.0 »

Slider
All-Star

Post by Slider »

If we sign Swanson…does that mean we win the Shelby Miller trade?

JCShutout
MacGyver of Underwear

Post by JCShutout »

I’d be stoked if we got one of the big 4 (now 3) ss and traded for Murphy. Edman and Donovan at 2b and util. My assumption is that Gorman would go in the Murphy trade and that would hurt. If we (somehow) kept him, he could dh and backup everyone and take over for goldy in a couple of years. You would have so much infield depth you would basically never be unhappy with 2/3 of the lineup, even when you gave arenado and goldy days off.

If Wynn ends up being great, you can trade depth for other needs. Depth is good. Get the best players you can.

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

Swanson is by far the worst of the big 4 SS’s this offseason, to the point that it should be the “big 3 and oh yeah also Swanson”. Which is of course why the Cardinals are interested, and will make him the first 9 figure free agent signing. Then when he puts up less fWAR than Edman, they will have the excuse that because he busted they will never sign a free agent again.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

Swanson is easily the worst hitter of the top 4 shortstops (it probably wouldn’t have been unreasonable for the Braves to think about non-tendering him just a year and a half ago), and I think they should prioritize the hitting aspect more.

That said, if the Cardinals trade for Murphy in a deal centered around Gorman (or a prospect) and sign Swanson, they would have a Gold Glove caliber player at every position except maybe CF, and YMMV on Carlson.

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardsfantx »

Mozeliak suggested DeJong is likely to be with St. Louis heading into 2023, telling reporters tonight (via Jones) they’re “not ready to cut bait” on the 29-year-old. He indicated the Cards have received some trade interest in DeJong — presumably from teams asking they’d pay down most of the contract while accepting a meager return — but suggested that’s not a course of action the Cards plan to take.
https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2022/12/ ... ities.html

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

I like this the more I think about it. It's not super splashy, but it's an upgrade and a safer bet than Gorman + Edman.

Pushes Donovan to the outfield more though which doesn't seem great and we've got other questions out there. Probably too much to hope for even a Swanson-level upgrade out there AND at least one good SP. Oh, AND Murphy.

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

If you are shopping in that aisle of SS’s though, get Bogearts. Consistently one of the best, most under appreciated players in MLB. Swanson will cost nearly the same, but he’s not in the same class as a hitter.