Offseason move[] thread

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Bruiser Brody
Veteran Player

Offseason move[] thread

Post by Bruiser Brody »

If Waino retires (which I kind of hope he does) any chance they can convince JQ to stay and go sign Contreras?

What moves does everyone anticipate will be made?

Bruiser Brody
Veteran Player

Re: Offseason moves thread

Post by Bruiser Brody »

I doubt the org makes any seismic changes in the OF. I guess it depends whether Mo and Co think TON can get back to '21 form. If they think he can do you go TON, DC, and Noot? Or clear a path for Walker in RF and move Noot to full time CF with Carlson as the 4th OF?

JoeMcKim
Perennial All-Star

Post by JoeMcKim »

I think it might make more sense to go after Sean Murphy in a trade from the A's to be the Cardinals catcher next year. Murphy is a good hitter even though Willson Contreras might be better but Contreras defense and handling of the pitchers would be a drastic dropoff from Yadi.

KenBoyer14
Everyday Player

Post by KenBoyer14 »

Bruiser Brody wrote:
October 10 22, 3:05 pm
If Waino retires (which I kind of hope he does) any chance they can convince JQ to stay and go sign Contreras?

What moves does everyone anticipate will be made?
I'm double with you on this one. Waino has been great, but time to retire. 87mph fastball and batters sitting on hanging curves won't cut it. Cards should make every effort to sign Quintana for a couple of years. JQ is as good as anything they have now (including oft-injured Flaherty) and they need another top lefty in the rotation along with Montgomery.

My only concern is that Quintana is probably going to get several offers above and beyond what the Mo and the DeWallets are willing to pay. I don't see him in STL next year, sadly.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

Btw this thread is fine but as the off-season goes on let’s make separate threads for specific deals or targets, plz.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

Tim McKernan said on his radio show that he thinks Arenado is going to opt out to try and get more money and pressure the Cardinals to get more offensive help.

I do not believe this will happen.

Birdfan57
Veteran Player

Post by Birdfan57 »

JoeMcKim wrote:
October 10 22, 4:08 pm
I think it might make more sense to go after Sean Murphy in a trade from the A's to be the Cardinals catcher next year. Murphy is a good hitter even though Willson Contreras might be better but Contreras defense and handling of the pitchers would be a drastic dropoff from Yadi.
Sean Murphy is probably the better catcher defensively, he won a GG last year. The hitting is about even between him and Contreras with Murphy making some improvements over last season.

This team needs to address the lead off spot. They need someone who can hit and have a good OBP. Maybe a leadoff hitter that can play SS?

Gotta upgrade the rotation. Keep Quintana. Probably gotta replace Waino. Liberatore gonna live up to potential? Up in the air in the pen: Cabrera, Reyes, Gio.
The FO MUST be committed to making this team better. This business of stinking it up in the 1st round is getting really old.

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardsfantx »

Birdfan57 wrote:
October 10 22, 6:53 pm
Gotta upgrade the rotation. Keep Quintana. Probably gotta replace Waino. Liberatore gonna live up to potential? Up in the air in the pen: Cabrera, Reyes, Gio.
The FO MUST be committed to making this team better. This business of stinking it up in the 1st round is getting really old.
If you keep Quintana, then your rotation is already set

Mikolas, Quintana, Flaherty, Montgomery, and Matz

And if Waino comes back, then we don’t even keep Quintana

I’d like to do better than Quintana (or waino), like a Rodon…but we’ll obv go with the waino or Quintana

Bruiser Brody
Veteran Player

Post by Bruiser Brody »

JoeMcKim wrote:
October 10 22, 4:08 pm
Oh I’d prefer Murphy way over Contreras but he would cost prospects whereas WC would just be DeMoney. Anything is better than what StL had in that spot in the order this year though.

Bruiser Brody
Veteran Player

Post by Bruiser Brody »

Yadi and Waino made a combined 27.5 this year. Combine that coming off the books with the monster revenue this year produced and the FO has a few bucks to play with.