Re: Offseason moves thread

Post by cardsfantx »

MrCrowesGarden wrote:
October 11 22, 9:33 am
MinorLeagueGuy wrote:
October 11 22, 9:28 am
MrCrowesGarden wrote:
October 10 22, 6:39 pm
Tim McKernan said on his radio show that he thinks Arenado is going to opt out to try and get more money and pressure the Cardinals to get more offensive help.

I do not believe this will happen.
What a boneheaded take. I'll assume Tim knows how we typically spend money, and what a typical offseason looks like for StL. Knowing these things, he thinks the idea of opting out, asking for more money, and then asking for ownership to spend even more money on top of the money they just spent to give you a raise.... well, thats just completely asinine. But its the perfect analyzation for an ever growing pocket of society that only pay attention to the last 5 words spoken; it doesnt matter what you said 2 minutes ago, only what your saying right now...
I am assuming here, but I'm presuming he meant Nolan wanted more money in the form of an extra year on his contract. The current deal is heavily front-loaded. The only way this would ever work given what we know about the Cardinals is if Arenado got an extra year but agreed to smooth out the AAV to increase the spending capacity for 2023.

Of course, I still don't think there's a chance any of it happens.
I mean we already gave him an extra year when we traded for him, when we gave him the extra opt out...

I'd rather just bump up that extra years $, than give him any more years, as he's already signed till he turns 37 just like goldy...signing into their 37+ year old and beyond is something I personally would not do.

Birdfan57
Veteran Player

Post by Birdfan57 »

Jocephus wrote:
October 11 22, 9:25 am
cardsfantx wrote:
October 11 22, 9:22 am
Cardinals hitting coach Jeff Albert was hired entering the 2019 season. Since then, the Cardinals have played 15 postseason games. Eight of those games have been losses in which they scored one or zero runs.
not going to say he hasn't helped some hitters in some way but on the surface i find him very overrated...at least based on how the FO has deified him to a certain extent
Replace Jeff Albert with assistant hitting coach Turner Ward? He did a good job with the Dodgers, namely Puig for a year or 2. Wonder how much say Ward had with Albert on strategy, fixing hitter problems?
Or hire someone else?

KenBoyer14
Everyday Player

Post by KenBoyer14 »

cardsfantx wrote:
October 10 22, 8:24 pm
Birdfan57 wrote:
October 10 22, 6:53 pm
Gotta upgrade the rotation. Keep Quintana. Probably gotta replace Waino. Liberatore gonna live up to potential? Up in the air in the pen: Cabrera, Reyes, Gio.
The FO MUST be committed to making this team better. This business of stinking it up in the 1st round is getting really old.
If you keep Quintana, then your rotation is already set

Mikolas, Quintana, Flaherty, Montgomery, and Matz

And if Waino comes back, then we don’t even keep Quintana

I’d like to do better than Quintana (or waino), like a Rodon…but we’ll obv go with the waino or Quintana
Over his last few months, I'm not sure how much better you could get than what Quintana has been. A lot of other teams will make offers for him.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

cardsfantx wrote:
October 11 22, 9:50 am
MrCrowesGarden wrote:
October 11 22, 9:33 am
MinorLeagueGuy wrote:
October 11 22, 9:28 am
MrCrowesGarden wrote:
October 10 22, 6:39 pm
Tim McKernan said on his radio show that he thinks Arenado is going to opt out to try and get more money and pressure the Cardinals to get more offensive help.

I do not believe this will happen.
What a boneheaded take. I'll assume Tim knows how we typically spend money, and what a typical offseason looks like for StL. Knowing these things, he thinks the idea of opting out, asking for more money, and then asking for ownership to spend even more money on top of the money they just spent to give you a raise.... well, thats just completely asinine. But its the perfect analyzation for an ever growing pocket of society that only pay attention to the last 5 words spoken; it doesnt matter what you said 2 minutes ago, only what your saying right now...
I am assuming here, but I'm presuming he meant Nolan wanted more money in the form of an extra year on his contract. The current deal is heavily front-loaded. The only way this would ever work given what we know about the Cardinals is if Arenado got an extra year but agreed to smooth out the AAV to increase the spending capacity for 2023.

Of course, I still don't think there's a chance any of it happens.
I mean we already gave him an extra year when we traded for him, when we gave him the extra opt out...

I'd rather just bump up that extra years $, than give him any more years, as he's already signed till he turns 37 just like goldy...signing into their 37+ year old and beyond is something I personally would not do.
I get that. I just think that if Arenado wants extra lineup help, it's going to cost money, and the only way the Cardinals even consider that is if he's making less next season.

He's got 5/134 left on his deal if he doesn't opt out, with 35 of that due next season. If he went to something like 6/156 where it's 26 per every year, I'd see it being more feasible.

Again though, I don't imagine this happening.

KenBoyer14
Everyday Player

Post by KenBoyer14 »

dmarx114 wrote:
October 11 22, 8:55 am
I am OK re-signing Waino.

Rotation should be Mikolas, Flaherty, Montgomery, and Matz with room for one more starter.

Hudson and Liberatore would serve as 6 and 7.

Would also be OK with dealing Flaherty.
So, no love for Quintana? He is certainly better than Montgomery and Matz...and Flaherty is a huge gamble at best. Or maybe you are assuming like I am that JQ will get much better offers from other clubs than from this "we-just-hope-to-get-a-wildcard" organization? Who doesn't need a left-handed starter? When was the last time the Cardinals had a quality LH starting pitcher? John Tudor? (Jaime Garcia was okay, but not many remember him.) Quintana gave a lot more value than his $2million pro-rated annual salary this year.

Famous Mortimer
Perennial All-Star

Post by Famous Mortimer »

cardsfantx wrote:

I feel like never giving players that year would result in top players not wanting to sign with you, and you being out of a job fairly soon.

Famous Mortimer
Perennial All-Star

Post by Famous Mortimer »

KenBoyer14 wrote:
October 11 22, 10:18 am
When was the last time the Cardinals had a quality LH starting pitcher? John Tudor? (Jaime Garcia was okay, but not many remember him.) Quintana gave a lot more value than his $2million pro-rated annual salary this year.
Strange point to make about Jaime to a forum full of Cardinals fans. I'm sure we all remember him.

dmarx114
Hall Of Famer

Post by dmarx114 »

KenBoyer14 wrote:
October 11 22, 10:18 am
dmarx114 wrote:
October 11 22, 8:55 am
I am OK re-signing Waino.

Rotation should be Mikolas, Flaherty, Montgomery, and Matz with room for one more starter.

Hudson and Liberatore would serve as 6 and 7.

Would also be OK with dealing Flaherty.
So, no love for Quintana? He is certainly better than Montgomery and Matz...and Flaherty is a huge gamble at best. Or maybe you are assuming like I am that JQ will get much better offers from other clubs than from this "we-just-hope-to-get-a-wildcard" organization? Who doesn't need a left-handed starter? When was the last time the Cardinals had a quality LH starting pitcher? John Tudor? (Jaime Garcia was okay, but not many remember him.) Quintana gave a lot more value than his $2million pro-rated annual salary this year.
I would be fine with Quintana as the "one more starter". Just listing the names that are currently in the rotation.

JoeMcKim
Perennial All-Star

Post by JoeMcKim »

If you can a Quintana deal done for 2 years 8-10 million a year the Cardinals have no reason to not get this deal done. I don't want the Cardinals to sign a Matz type for 18 million when Quintana is better.

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardsfantx »

Famous Mortimer wrote:
October 11 22, 10:36 am
cardsfantx wrote:

I feel like never giving players that year would result in top players not wanting to sign with you, and you being out of a job fairly soon.
again...we already gave him the extra year