Offseason move[] thread

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Re: Offseason moves thread

Post by mikechamp »

I like the idea of Bellinger as a low-cost, primary DH... as long as they don't hesitate to DFA him if he's sucking in mid-May. Because if that's the case, then I'd tell him to take a Walk(er).

See what I did there?

Transmogrified Tiger
Puppy Murderer

Post by Transmogrified Tiger »

Bellinger has a pretty hot market(his defense in CF means he has a high floor even with the risky bat) and is probably going to cost somewhere in the 10-15 million range for a year.

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

I'm a hard pass then. Defense is valuable, but don't pay just for defense.

MinorLeagueGuy
The Angst is Real

Post by MinorLeagueGuy »

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
December 2 22, 2:25 pm
Bellinger has a pretty hot market(his defense in CF means he has a high floor even with the risky bat) and is probably going to cost somewhere in the 10-15 million range for a year.
If he's still out there after we have our catcher and a starting pitcher, I'd lowball him hoping he'd just be happy trying to revive his career with his old hitting coach Turner Ward.

phins
Sobbing quietly during Fox programming

Post by phins »

Cardinals’ and their billionaire owner going to do anything, or continue to cry poverty and keep payroll level?

Yes, I’m annoyed at the fact they aren’t connected with any top free agents yet.

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

They’ve been connected to the top free agent at their biggest position of need (Contreras). I still don’t think they’ll sign him, but it is something I guess.

I think we all know how it is going to go. Within the span of a week, the Cardinals will trade for a catcher, sign some mid-tier SP that we don’t need, sign a couple no-name relievers to too long of deals, then pack it in until spring training.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

I also think they will enter the season with gaps in the roster— not just positions that could be improved but genuinely should be unplayable options on the ML club— that are apparent to us at GRB just like the rotation was last season. They’ll then look to fill them at the deadline, and it’ll work, but you can’t help but wonder why wouldn’t you address this in the offseason.

phins
Sobbing quietly during Fox programming

Post by phins »

I realize I’m a miserable prick in the offseason but I just cannot stand how the Cardinals don’t spend at the top of the market because of self-imposed restrictions from a multi-billionaire owner.

It would be different if the support wasn’t there and the window didn’t line up, but it is perpetual maximize ROI mode with shooting for 90 wins and hope in the playoffs.

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

cardsfantx wrote:
December 2 22, 1:31 pm
Popeye_Card wrote:
December 2 22, 1:22 pm
go birds wrote:
December 2 22, 1:05 pm
since it wouldnt cost prospects, any thoughts on taking a flyer on Bellinger?
Assuming a true "flyer", like $2MM tops? Sure, why not if you can squeeze him into the roster. But I wouldn't expect much.
He’s working out with Holliday in OK State apparently….so….maybe?

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

Bryan Reynolds has requested a trade from the Pirates. The article below says the Pirates are inclined to keep him for now.

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/pir ... 2212030092