Nolan Arenado is staying with the Cardinals

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Re: Nolan Arenado is staying with the Cardinals

Post by Radbird »

ghostrunner wrote:
October 29 22, 6:13 pm
The thing about assurances - assuming that even true, what recourse does he have if they don’t try to stay competitive in his opinion? Just make a public stink?
Isn’t that pretty much what happened in Denver?

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

Radbird wrote:
October 29 22, 6:41 pm
ghostrunner wrote:
The thing about assurances - assuming that even true, what recourse does he have if they don’t try to stay competitive in his opinion? Just make a public stink?
Yeah, I suppose.

IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Post by IMADreamer »

This is awesome news, but I'm not going to get my hopes up on the team spending much in the offseason.

sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Post by sighyoung »

The reaction in Chicago isn't as sanguine as here.

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardsfantx »

Radbird wrote:
October 29 22, 6:41 pm
ghostrunner wrote:
Well he did have 1 opt out going forward in COL when he was there under contract

Now he doesn’t have any forthcoming here

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

sighyoung wrote:
October 29 22, 10:11 pm
The reaction in Chicago isn't as sanguine as here.
[tweet]https://twitter.com/dril/status/5494251 ... bTvtANrTEw[/tweet]

Transmogrified Tiger
Puppy Murderer

Post by Transmogrified Tiger »

I don't really get the shock. Arenado turns 32 at the start of next season, is it really certain there's a team waiting to give him 6/180+? I'd say despite his career year that it's really unlikely he gets more years at current/better AAV, I don't see much precedent for players of that age to get max years and max dollars. So then the question becomes that AAV, could he have gotten to 5/160 or thereabouts? Probably. But it's not a guarantee, the time value of money shrinks that difference given his current front-loaded deal, and there's no guarantee that whoever ponies up that deal is going to be consistently competitive(which Arenado clearly cares a lot about). To me it's always seemed the most likely option was not opting out.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

Yea he was never opting out lol.

This is lining up for a Quintana + bullpen arm off-season.

The cards will put all their eggs in the Jordan walker basket and everyone here will be like great off-season now let you get us a division title.

Magneto2.0
Hall Of Famer

Post by Magneto2.0 »

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
October 30 22, 9:33 am
I don't really get the shock. Arenado turns 32 at the start of next season, is it really certain there's a team waiting to give him 6/180+? I'd say despite his career year that it's really unlikely he gets more years at current/better AAV, I don't see much precedent for players of that age to get max years and max dollars. So then the question becomes that AAV, could he have gotten to 5/160 or thereabouts? Probably. But it's not a guarantee, the time value of money shrinks that difference given his current front-loaded deal, and there's no guarantee that whoever ponies up that deal is going to be consistently competitive(which Arenado clearly cares a lot about). To me it's always seemed the most likely option was not opting out.
Only doomsdayer Cardinals fans thought he would opt out.

Famous Mortimer
Perennial All-Star

Post by Famous Mortimer »

Transmogrified Tiger wrote:
October 30 22, 9:33 am
So then the question becomes that AAV, could he have gotten to 5/160 or thereabouts? Probably. But it's not a guarantee, the time value of money shrinks that difference given his current front-loaded deal, and there's no guarantee that whoever ponies up that deal is going to be consistently competitive(which Arenado clearly cares a lot about). To me it's always seemed the most likely option was not opting out.
Freeman and the Dodgers are a data point in favour of him being able to get a bit more, but who knows.