MLB Award Finalist

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
WAR God
Everyday Player

Re: MLB Award Finalist

Post by WAR God »

I mean, there’s no other way to say it, that’s just a historic miss by the Cardinals.

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

Not often that two top-5 Cy finishers in the same league were included in the same lamentable trade.

Famous Mortimer
Perennial All-Star

Post by Famous Mortimer »

WAR God wrote:
November 17 22, 6:54 am
I mean, there’s no other way to say it, that’s just a historic miss by the Cardinals.
With hindsight, it's one of the worst trades for the Cardinals in recent memory. Ozuna gave us one of the all-time worst defensive moments ever, and a shade under 5 fWAR; Alcantara beat that just this season, was also great in 2021, and will likely be great in future.

But, it's a series of pretty unlikely outcomes. I'm not going to blame the Cardinals for making that trade.

dmarx114
Hall Of Famer

Post by dmarx114 »

Magneto2.0 wrote:
November 16 22, 8:13 pm
Sad reality is, if Alcantara stayed here, he'd more than likely be a relief pitcher.

You can take this as a negative or a positive (depending on perspective) but because the Cardinals compete every year, it doesn't lend itself to letting talented but flawed young pitchers work on their craft in the rotation. All our flamethrowers are in the bullpen and rarely get chances to compete in the rotation. Our young guys who have good stuff but not a lot of control/command, may get a handful of starts (usually filling in for an injured pitcher) and if they're not lights out immediately, Cardinals change course and leave them in the bullpen. Alcantara would've been another one.

Bad teams (like the Marlins) have the luxury of letting guys figure out.
I really don't think that's likely.

Popeye_Card

Post by Popeye_Card »

It wasn't a bad trade from the standpoint of packaging up some prospects for Ozuna. But the Cardinals sure whiffed on who they decided to include vs. who they kept.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

More awfulness in the Cardinal sportswriter department: John Denton gave a vote to Helsley for Cy. Incredibly stupid.

“Come on who cares it’s just a fifth place vote!” Still incredibly stupid. And I know he’s an MLB writer but another reason to never buy into their reporting fully.

Popeye_Card

Post by Popeye_Card »

Helsley had an incredible season, and was easily one of the best relievers in baseball. I don’t see how a 5th place vote is so egregious.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

Popeye_Card wrote:
November 17 22, 9:45 am
Helsley had an incredible season, and was easily one of the best relievers in baseball. I don’t see how a 5th place vote is so egregious.
Nola, Rodon, Fried, Burnes

Is this serious? Helsley wasn't even the best NL reliever. Not even third best. Diaz can get a 5th place vote, that's fine. Not the 3rd/4th-ish best reliever in a league with a lot of deserving starters.

It was an attention-seeking vote. He also voted Urias to really hammer home how stupid/attention-seeking it was. And what universe is Kyle Wright a better pitcher than Aaron Nola???????

Edit: and now Denton is being whiny on Twitter about it. It would be funny if he lost his voting privileges. Feels like a MLB writer did a Clickbait vote to get people talking about baseball. It's "sus" as the kids say.
Last edited by Big Amoco Sign on November 17 22, 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Popeye_Card

Post by Popeye_Card »

Big Amoco Sign wrote:
November 17 22, 10:33 am
Popeye_Card wrote:
November 17 22, 9:45 am
Nola, Rodon, Fried, Burnes

Is this serious? Helsley wasn't even the best NL reliever. Not even third best. Diaz can get a 5th place vote, that's fine. Not the 3rd/4th-ish best reliever in a league with a lot of deserving starters.

It was an attention-seeking vote. He also voted Urias to really hammer home how stupid/attention-seeking it was.

Edit: and now he's being a big whiny loser on Twitter about it. Proves my point.
Urias led the league in ERA+. Not seeing how that’s egregious either.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

Popeye_Card wrote:
November 17 22, 10:45 am

Urias led the league in ERA+. Not seeing how that’s egregious either.
Urias as a fifth place vote is fine. Using that stat. Sure. Or even using outdated RA-9 WAR. Fine. Punish Nola/Wheeler for a bad defense, okay.

But Wright and Helsley and Diaz over Aaron Nola is a "okay you're banned from voting again" territory. Epitome of egregious.