Anthony Franco's NL Central comments

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Anthony Franco's NL Central comments

Post by mikechamp »

These comments came from a chat with MLB Trade Rumors' Anthony Franco that occurred on November 16. (You can find him on Twitter at @affranco10 if you really want to ask him something.)

Some good questions this week, with 2 bonus Q&As: the first about determining AAV and the second about the value of relievers.

The link to the entire chat can be found here: https://www.jotcast.com/chat/mlbtr-chat ... 14399.html

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Who has more trade value: Lars Nootbaar or Dylan Carlson??

Anthony Franco
Carlson
Will the Reds lose 100 again?

Anthony Franco
I'll take the under on that. I like the core too much to think they're winning fewer than 65 games.
What's your favorite World Series in the last 40 years?

Anthony Franco
I can't go back that far, but in the 15 years or so since I really started following baseball, 2011, 2016 and 2019 stand out.
In the wide net the Cards will be casting for a catcher, does the Braves catching tandem fall in there?

Anthony Franco
I doubt Atlanta's itching to move either d'Arnaud or Contreras, and St. Louis will aim higher than Pina.
Doesn't hurt to call, but I think there are cleaner fits.
MO is kidding about DeJong possibly being our opening SS, right? No way they don't make a move, right? RIGHT?!?

Anthony Franco
Even if they don't make an outside pickup, I can't see any way DeJong's the Opening Day shortstop.

If they want to prioritize catcher and the rotation, which is defensible, then the middle infield duo should be Edman and Donovan.
Does Nimmo return to the Mets?
If not, where does he go?

Anthony Franco
I like the Giants there, but a Mets return certainly isn't out of the question. Blue Jays fit, Rockies perhaps, Astros, Dodgers, Cubs, Rangers all make sense.
Random salary cap question, but how is AAV determined when a player has an option/buyout? Does that buyout get spread over the guaranteed years?

Anthony Franco
Buyout of team/mutual option is just averaged out over the number of guaranteed years. Player options are counted as guaranteed money, so the entire salary of the player option is included and it tacks on a year to the AAV.
So two years with a team option is counted as two years. Two years with a player option is three years.
With the salary the relief pitcher's have received in the last few days, what does that do to the value of good relief pitcher's on the trade market?

Anthony Franco
Interesting question, hadn't considered it. I could see the free agent relief market propping up trade value of cheaper relievers, sure, although I need more than just Montero and Suarez to conclude free agency's going crazy.

Tags: