2023 Hall of Fame Ballot

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Re: 2023 Hall of Fame Ballot

Post by heyzeus »

We'll find out if Rolen made it in at 5pm CST.

greenback44
Hall Of Famer

Post by greenback44 »

The HOF projection guys think Rolen is right on the border, but probably a bit short. He probably makes it if you eliminate the 0-or-1 name ballots, which is as annoying AF. If you can't find a couple of guys on that list whose careers you want to celebrate, even in the Jim Deshaies kind of way, then get off the pot.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

McGriff getting in has now allowed so many HOVG types to get in. Rolen is so much better than McGriff, it's just flat stupid if he doesn't make it.

SunnyJim
Veteran Player

Post by SunnyJim »

I want to say this before the final votes are announced.

Scott Rolen was one of the best fundamental baseball players I've ever seen.

As a base runner, fielder, and hitter he was someone you could point to for young players to watch.

He played the game, 'the right way.'

It's a damn shame he had his career shortened by two clumsy oafs who messed up his shoulder.

Edit: YAY!
Last edited by SunnyJim on January 24 23, 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

I’d like to see someone combine an epic bat flip with a Rolen-speed trot on a HR. Genuinely, that would be cool.

greenback44
Hall Of Famer

Post by greenback44 »

[expletive], he made it. Cool.

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

Great news. When do they decide what team he goes in for? I could see him preferring not to have a team. Had the most postseason success with the Cardinals but I think he’s got some affection for his time in Cincy.

beehut
Fringe Major League Player

Post by beehut »

Ha, Rawich introducing a Rolen as a "great two-way player" hit me odd - had to pause to think what that meant for the elected player. I'm not sure I've ever associated the term with baseball, since its typically a given. I guess with DH, that's where we're at.

I'd say Ohtani would be the lone two-way player, but they might say a three-way...

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

beehut wrote:
January 24 23, 5:24 pm
Ha, Rawich introducing a Rolen as a "great two-way player" hit me odd - had to pause to think what that meant for the elected player. I'm not sure I've ever associated the term with baseball, since its typically a given. I guess with DH, that's where we're at.

I'd say Ohtani would be the lone two-way player, but they might say a three-way...
It does seem like a fairly new usage for baseball. Great defensively, great offensively. Which...I mean yeah, guys like that generally are going to be top tier guys like Mantle, Mays, Trout, etc.

I'm sure there are plenty of guys in the hall who were great offensively, but bollocks defensively. Or in rare cases the converse, like Ozzie. Ozzie fought his way to cromulence with the bat (he managed four seasons with an OPS+ over 100). But he's not in the hall in any way shape or form because of his offense. This year's other HOFer, Fred McGriff...no one's gonna say he was a two way player, and the defensive metrics back that up. So yeah, I bet there are a lot of one-way hall of famers.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

I would think Beltre cruises in and Mauer and Utley probably should as well with while Colon and Holliday (and maybe some others) hang on the ballot for a few years but wind up short.