CardsofSTL wrote:
December 2 22, 10:40 am
dmarx114 wrote:
December 2 22, 8:37 am
CardsofSTL wrote:
December 1 22, 3:41 pm
I would sign Contreras and still trade for Jansen
Why?
Contreras bat fits at DH. Jansen would be the more solid catcher defensively. A lineup with Jansen/Contreras is exponentially better than what we had last season.

Also then we can trade Knizner for cash considerations and save him from getting his ass whipped by Holiday for sullying his jersey number.
I don't think spending big bucks on Contreras, only to have him primarily DH, is a good use of free agent dollars.

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Re: Let's Talk Catchers!

Post by Popeye_Card »

I generally agree. If you are willing to pay what it takes to land Contreras, he'll need to catch 75%+ of the time to recoup that value. As a bat only, we have other similar options already in-house.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

dmarx114 wrote:
December 2 22, 11:24 am
CardsofSTL wrote:
December 2 22, 10:40 am
dmarx114 wrote:
December 2 22, 8:37 am
CardsofSTL wrote:
December 1 22, 3:41 pm
I would sign Contreras and still trade for Jansen
Why?
Contreras bat fits at DH. Jansen would be the more solid catcher defensively. A lineup with Jansen/Contreras is exponentially better than what we had last season.

Also then we can trade Knizner for cash considerations and save him from getting his ass whipped by Holiday for sullying his jersey number.
I don't think spending big bucks on Contreras, only to have him primarily DH, is a good use of free agent dollars.
I think it's better than having XX/Knizner. The Knizner ship has sailed.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Popeye_Card wrote:
December 2 22, 11:40 am
I generally agree. If you are willing to pay what it takes to land Contreras, he'll need to catch 75%+ of the time to recoup that value. As a bat only, we have other similar options already in-house.
Similar options in house sounds like what my parents used to tell me at Christmas.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

G. Keenan
Sucking on the Rally Nipple

Post by G. Keenan »

Contreras would be a very un-Cardinal like free agent signing.

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

CardsofSTL wrote:
December 2 22, 12:06 pm
Popeye_Card wrote:
Similar options in house sounds like what my parents used to tell me at Christmas.
I'm just saying as a bat only, he's a righty who posted a .243/.349/.466 slash line this year, which is remarkably consistent with his .256/.349/.459 career line. That's great for a catcher. As a DH, pretty replaceable. Nootbaar's career line is .231/.334/.441 and he's 6 years younger. Yepez .253/.296/.447, also 6 years younger. Donovan .281/.394/.379, 5 years younger. Alec Burleson should be able to replicate that sort of line. Gorman should be a better hitter than that. These are all guys we already have who don't necessarily have starting positions cemented in place yet.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Popeye_Card wrote:
December 2 22, 1:18 pm
CardsofSTL wrote:
December 2 22, 12:06 pm
Popeye_Card wrote:
I'm just saying as a bat only, he's a righty who posted a .243/.349/.466 slash line this year, which is remarkably consistent with his .256/.349/.459 career line. That's great for a catcher. As a DH, pretty replaceable. Nootbaar's career line is .231/.334/.441 and he's 6 years younger. Yepez .253/.296/.447, also 6 years younger. Donovan .281/.394/.379, 5 years younger. Alec Burleson should be able to replicate that sort of line. Gorman should be a better hitter than that. These are all guys we already have who don't necessarily have starting positions cemented in place yet.
I was thinking DH back up catcher but I also don't think the Cardinals will sign him. It's just a notion. Everyone hits better when they stop wearing Cubbies blue.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

G. Keenan wrote:
December 2 22, 12:53 pm
Contreras would be a very un-Cardinal like free agent signing.
The very Cardinal-like free agent signings have been 💩

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

Grains of salt, and all that.