Would you take a championship in 2023 if it meant five losing seasons afterwards?

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball

Would you take a championship in 2023 if it meant five losing seasons afterwards?

Yep
29%
Nope
61%
Leroy
3%
A nice piece of fish
6%

Total votes: 31

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Re: Would you take a championship in 2023 if it meant five losing seasons afterwards?

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Ohhh, hadn't thought of if those 5 losing seasons had to be consecutively following the championship. In a few billion years the earth will collide with the sun, so I'm just going to consider the 5 losing years will be the subsequent 5 years, and be even more resolute that the correct answer is yes.

I can't believe the 'nos' are winning. Wake up sheeple.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Re: Would you take a championship in 2023 if it meant five losing seasons afterwards?

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

There was a New York Times article earlier this month that described the Rams Super Bowl win as a pyrrhic victory... they won the whole thing, which at least nominally is the entire point of this!

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

Let's revisit the Cubs angle of this whole thing. I think the real question is "would you trade the 2006 WS championship for the Indians hitting a 2-run HR in the bottom of the 10th of 2016 Game 7 to send the Cubs to a humiliating defeat?"

I might consider it. And I was even at Busch for the 2006 championship. I'd certainly trade one of the WW2 era championships that carry asterisks anyway. No way we can give up the magic of 2011 Game 6 though.

obucard
Perennial All-Star

Post by obucard »

I feel compelled to point out that the last time this team had 5+ consecutive losing seasons was when they had 6 straight from 1915-1920. We can talk about the team losing for 5 years but the fact is, none of us have seen it with the Cards. Only the oldest among us have even seen three straight losers, which last occurred in the mid-50s.

JoeMcKim
Perennial All-Star

Post by JoeMcKim »

Basically this is a question we should've asked the LA Rams fans a few years ago. They won their Super Bowl last year but now they're a pretty bad team with no future early draft picks. It will be really hard for the Rams to get back on track like this.

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

Well after the Greatest Show on Turf ended, the Rams went through like 15 years of being horrible, and even shat upon a city to move to LA. They’ll probably be ok with 5 bad years. That halftime show was pretty epic.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

You could probably ask it of any LA sports fan. The Lakers sold off their future for a short-term run with Lebron and Anthony Davis and it worked out with a chip.

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

I'm living this as a Broncos fan right now. It's not a fun ride.

The SB win was epic though.

I voted no, but it's a tough call.

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

For the Blazers, yes absolutely. For the Cardinals... maybe--it doesn't matter, because when the Blazers win it in this scenario I'll be translated to heaven in a pillar of light.

For me it would depend on other factors, but probably. I've lived Cardinals championships. Do we add Trevor Bauer, or even lesser aholes to do it?

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

The only plus I can see for 5 years of losing is getting some time back in the day over the summer.

Really though, I have the DVDs of the last 2 World Series and I've maybe watched them each a couple times. And only the decisive games. Always looking forward to the next season. Losing and seeing that we'll have a bad team would really sap that enthusiasm.

The bragging rights part is pretty meaningless to me.