Would you take a championship in 2023 if it meant five losing seasons afterwards?

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball

Would you take a championship in 2023 if it meant five losing seasons afterwards?

Yep
29%
Nope
61%
Leroy
3%
A nice piece of fish
6%

Total votes: 31

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

Vote because it beats the crushing death of offseason boredom

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Re: Would you take a championship in 2023 if it meant five losing seasons afterwards?

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

Of course

G. Keenan
Sucking on the Rally Nipple

Re: Would you take a championship in 2023 if it meant five losing seasons afterwards?

Post by G. Keenan »

No. Winning the World Series is great and all, but of all sports, IMO, baseball is the one where it matters least if your team wins it all. The season is 162 damn games. Why watch even half of those if all that really matters to your experience of the season is 4 - 7 games the last week of October?

I'd rather make the playoffs 5 years in a row and not win the WS than win and then watch a losing team for the next half decade.

dmarx114
Hall Of Famer

Post by dmarx114 »

Since the Cardinals won in my lifetime, I voted no. I would much rather enjoy 5 years of completive baseball than 5 years of boring summers.

But my answer could have been different had we not won the World Series in 2006 or 2011.

Fat_Bulldog
likes to grate his own cheese

Post by Fat_Bulldog »

I prefer to muddle

Donnie Ebert
Perennial All-Star

Post by Donnie Ebert »

Can we space out the five losing seasons over the next few decades, sort of the Bobby Bonilla of speculative deals with the devil (or perhaps a well-meaning but magically-constrained genie)?

If not, five straight losing seasons would be rough, so I would vote no. But the glory of a championship is hard to deny, as a successful October's memories can function like sparks of hope during dark times. So my no is of the wavering variety.

TigCards
All-Star

Post by TigCards »

Yep because I’m 78 years old .

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

No way. The point is to have fun watching baseball, no? Five years of being ticked off or not watching because it's too awful? No thanks.

If I was a player I might feel differently.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

I do think it's interesting that a lot of people are assuming you are automatically getting five competitive years if you say no to the guaranteed title, when the question says nothing of the sort.

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

I’m just saying no to a guaranteed 5 losing seasons. Sounds miserable. And going off our track record. 3 or 4 out 5 being competitive seems reasonable.

If we were Pirates fans I’d probably answer differently.