Mark Polishuk's NL Central comments

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Mark Polishuk's NL Central comments

Post by mikechamp »

These comments came from a chat with MLB Trade Rumors' Mark Polishuk that occurred on December 3.

A lot of questions about Reynolds' trade possibilities. I included a bonus Q&A displaying Mark's prediction abilities and another about a Rule 5 draft preview.

The link to the entire chat can be found here: https://www.jotcast.com/chat/mlbtr-live-chat-14513.html

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Does Reynolds theoretical availability hurt Arizona’s chance of maximizing their return in a trade for their outfielders?

Mark Polishuk
Maybe, though for as much as the D'Backs would naturally want for their outfielders, it would still be lower than Pittsburgh's sky-high asking price for Reynolds.
Realistic chances Reynolds is dealt? Hearing the ask is high, but given his affordability and what FA’s are going for, who will part with prospects?

Mark Polishuk
On paper, nothing about Reynolds' trade request materially changes things for the Pirates. They're not going to suddenly lower their asking price in trade talks since Reynolds doesn't really have any leverage. If another team meets that big asking price, the Bucs will make a move... if no team steps up, Reynolds remains in Pittsburgh.
Do the Brewers trade Winker within 72 hours?

Mark Polishuk
A flip would be interesting, but I see Winker as a good bounce-back candidate now that he's back in the NL Central.
With the Brewers saying they aren’t trading Burnes or Woodroof and the Pirates saying they aren’t trading Reynolds, who do you see the Jays matching up with in a deal for one of their catchers?

Mark Polishuk
D'Backs, Twins, Guardians, Cardinals, Marlins, maybe the Astros... maybe even the Rays or Red Sox, though I'm doubtful about an inter-division trade.
Your thoughts on Brian Reynolds’s trade request?

Mark Polishuk
It seems like he wasn't pleased by the Pirates' lowball extension offer, and maybe after two years of trade rumors, just wants some kind of resolution to the whole thing.
Again, Reynolds doesn't have much or any leverage to actually force a trade.
Haven’t heard the Brewers mentioned as a possible trade partner for Sean Murphy. You think they may be in on him, or do they go with Vazquez, or resign Narvaez?

Mark Polishuk
Brewers make sense for Murphy, though their minor league system isn't very deep.
Do the Jays and Pirates match up on a Reynolds trade? Pirates already have a catcher prospect.

Mark Polishuk
Henry Davis' presence would seemingly make a trade with the Jays less likely, you're right. Toronto could still make something happen if they offered Tiedemann but I think he's basically untouchable.
Mark, do you think it's possible MIL saying they're holding onto their core just conjecture on their part?

Mark Polishuk
If another team made them a blow-away offer for Burnes, the Brewers would take it. But barring such an offer that couldn't be refused, I don't doubt that the Brewers are planning to reload and try again in 2023.
Any chance the Mets go after Reynolds?

Mark Polishuk
Seems like at least half the teams in baseball have called about Reynolds, the Mets included.
If Cards bring Quintana back, which pitcher goes? My guess is Matz to the Mets.

Mark Polishuk
Wainwright, Mikolas, Flaherty, and Montgomery are all free agents after next season. If STL did move a pitcher, it wouldn't be Matz.

But, I actually don't think they would necessarily move anyone, since that rotation has some health question marks.
If Judge does leave, would a trade for Reynolds (that includes Peraza and  a lot more) and the signing of Correa right the Yankee Clipper?

Mark Polishuk
I feel like Correa wouldn't be accepted well by Bronx fans, given his involvement on the infamous 2017 Astros.
I know Scott Harris and Jed worked together with the Cubs…could you see the Cubs getting Báez in a trade with a SP and Tigers eating cash? I think the Cubs could play Baez at 3B and sign one of the big four SS. Thoughts?

Mark Polishuk
I don't see the Tigers eating money and abandoning ship on the Baez signing after just one year.
Am I crazy for think that the Cardinals and Cody Bellinger could be a decent match if the price for him isn't too high? They've already shown a willingness to give outfielders one-year deals (Corey Dickerson) and they highly value fielding and quickness. Plus, they don't have an outfielder right now that's past arbitration so there's not much money wrapped up in that position.

Mark Polishuk
Makes sense to me. In theory, it creates a bit of an outfield logjam for playing time if everyone is healthy, but injuries are inevitable.
Matt Brash, Jarred Kelenic, Cole Young, Emmerson Hancock, and one of their comp picks, enough for the Pirates to entertain a trade with the Mariners for Reynolds?

Mark Polishuk
That's a lot for Seattle to give up, but for an aggressive team with a PBO who loves trades?  Hmm....
Does Texas get Bryan Reynolds through trade without giving up Porter, Rocker, Leiter, Carter, Jung, or Zavala? They still have some current or former top 100 prospect besides them in Duran, White, Winn, and Foscue.

Mark Polishuk
Why would the Pirates settle for the Rangers' second-level prospects?
I watched Harrison Bader for years. If he plays a full season (140+ games) in NY, I think he will be 30/30, win a gold glove & become a fan favorite! Thoughts?

Mark Polishuk
It seems like Yankees fans totally jumped on the Bader bandwagon the moment he actually started playing. And, hitting all those homers in the playoffs didn't hurt, either.  

30/30 is very ambitious, but another Gold Glove seems like a distinct possibility.
Who gets elected into the MLB HOF tomorrow? McGriff , Bonds, etc. ...

Mark Polishuk
I think McGriff is getting in. He's the consensus "no baggage" pick, he's a better player than Mattingly or Murphy, and he has past ties to four (Maddux, Chipper, Kenny Williams, Paul Beeston) of the 16 people on the veterans committee.

But, McGriff is the only one that seems like a good bet to me. There's too much controversy still surrounding Schilling and the PED crew, that I don't think any of them get the necessary 12 votes.
Rule 5 draft preview?

Mark Polishuk
Baseball America recently had a nice preview of some of the players who might be picked on Thursday:

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories ... ersion-40/

Tags:

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Re: Mark Polishuk's NL Central comments

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

Reynolds is sort of an interesting case. He's very good but not quite great and isn't quite as young as you might think. He's also about to get a pay bump through arbitration. I suspect there will be some demand because A) he's still good and B) he's versatile, but I don't think the Pirates would get a huge return back.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Re: Mark Polishuk's NL Central comments

Post by heyzeus »

MrCrowesGarden wrote:
December 5 22, 10:25 am
Reynolds is sort of an interesting case. He's very good but not quite great and isn't quite as young as you might think. He's also about to get a pay bump through arbitration. I suspect there will be some demand because A) he's still good and B) he's versatile, but I don't think the Pirates would get a huge return back.
Good points. He's 27 now. He won't get free agent money in arb, but probably $15 mil or so? He took a step back in just about all rate states (OBP/SLG) in 2022, but hard to say if that's just an aberration.