Update: Dan McLaughlin Out (pg. 9), Chip Caray In (pg. 22)

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
jagtrader
Hall Of Famer

Re: Update: Dan McLaughlin Out (pg. 9), Chip Caray In (pg. 22)

Post by jagtrader »

thrill wrote:
January 24 23, 12:51 pm
I have hated Chip Caray since I was a child. I am now 37. Three decades of thinking he sucks. To me, he is the most annoying pbp guy in baseball. This sucks. Looks like a muted TV/podcast or audiobook situaish for me going forward. Bummer.
Co-sign. I didn’t care who they picked. It never occurred to me it’d be this legacy lightweight.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

mikechamp wrote:
January 24 23, 1:28 pm
thrill wrote:
I have hated Chip Caray since I was a child. I am now 37. Three decades of thinking he sucks. To me, he is the most annoying pbp guy in baseball. This sucks. Looks like a muted TV/podcast or audiobook situaish for me going forward. Bummer.
You can blame Bally Sports for not getting back to me. Given your thoughts above, now I know I would have made your viewing more enjoyable.
Not only would I not mute it, I would also put subtitles on, because I would want to see the blue font you demanded in your contract negotiations.

I'm actually able to watch the other feed, since I am out of market. The best case would be giving Polo and Bengie a full schedule in a spanish TV booth. I would watch that every single time.

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

thrill wrote:
Buy a concertina. Imagine how good you could be at the concertina by the end of the season. You could sneak onstage during a Bon Iver show and they’d be like, ‘have we always had that guy on the concertina? I think so?’ It’s a good future.

I’m going to work on my bars and try the same thing with BROCKHAMPTON. ‘This middle aged guy, that’s really bad—are we sure he’s always been in the group?’ There’s too many of them. I’ll be fine for a while.

KenBoyer14
Everyday Player

Post by KenBoyer14 »

If and when Dan ever comes back, where do you think that will be? I don't think he'll get another chance in STL, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him get an opportunity somewhere else.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

KenBoyer14 wrote:
January 24 23, 3:17 pm
If and when Dan ever comes back, where do you think that will be? I don't think he'll get another chance in STL, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him get an opportunity somewhere else.
Dan is never coming back. Not sure what people aren't getting...he's facing felony charges. He will be extremely lucky and deeply privileged if he doesn't go to prison.

He's dunzo.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

If McLaughlin ever does play by play again (not saying he will or should) I think it will be in 5+ years on KMOX to replace Rooney when he retires.

Richie Allen
Perennial All-Star

Post by Richie Allen »

I view Chip Caray as a huge upgrade over McGlaughlin. From Dan's days with Hrabosky, they were the most clownish duo in all of baseball as far as I could tell. Such small town talent. Al at least had a few anecdotes from his playing days but of course he drove those into the ground. It never made any sense to me how Dan got hired in the first place. Even simple things like emphasis on the correct syllable when there would be a change in the score. “The Cardinals are now up 9 to nothing.” I have to admit, I haven’t listened to him much in the last ten years but has he really gotten that much better? I think he’s better at his home run calls but, I don’t know...I won’t miss him as much as some of you, obviously. As far as the guy from Seattle…I think you’d have to be crazy to leave that gig right now. That town in crazy about this current team and they seem poised for great things. Plus, it’s Seattle. No offense to the Lou. Oh, by the way, I really, really hated Skip Caray.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Goldsmith pulled himself out of the running because he and his family are happy in Seattle according to what I've read. Don't blame him for staying where he's comfortable.

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

Richie Allen wrote:
January 24 23, 9:14 pm
I view Chip Caray as a huge upgrade over McGlaughlin. From Dan's days with Hrabosky, they were the most clownish duo in all of baseball as far as I could tell. Such small town talent. Al at least had a few anecdotes from his playing days but of course he drove those into the ground. It never made any sense to me how Dan got hired in the first place. Even simple things like emphasis on the correct syllable when there would be a change in the score. “The Cardinals are now up 9 to nothing.” I have to admit, I haven’t listened to him much in the last ten years but has he really gotten that much better? I think he’s better at his home run calls but, I don’t know...I won’t miss him as much as some of you, obviously. As far as the guy from Seattle…I think you’d have to be crazy to leave that gig right now. That town in crazy about this current team and they seem poised for great things. Plus, it’s Seattle. No offense to the Lou. Oh, by the way, I really, really hated Skip Caray.
Whoa. That’s a take. Dan’s hard to beat for this job, imo. He absolutely should be gone though.

This is not a knock on Caray, but a great point. Lots of effortless institutional knowledge suddenly gone without DM.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

I like Dan (mostly for his knowledge of Cardinals baseball) but I do think he's a homer and wished he'd dial it down. I really liked Dan a lot in the mid-2000s. He was the most humble guy ever. I totally get people not liking him. My coastal baseball friends loathe him and think he's a clown. And I get it because they have insanely good pros like Dave Sims, Rick Rizzs, Jon Miller, and Joe Davis etc. out here. So Dan comes off bombastic and over-the-top to those kind of fans. But he was ours so I didn't care. I would love to go a different direction than THAT type.

Chip feels like a fill-in. And not for a Dan comeback. But for a new Goldsmith-like guy they will probably bring up in the next few years. I would not be surprised if Chip only did one season.

Totally see how casuals, non-Cardinals homers might view Chip as an upgrade.