Update: Dan McLaughlin Out (pg. 9), Chip Caray In (pg. 22)

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Re: Update: Dan McLaughlin Out (pg. 9), Chip Caray In (pg. 22)

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

So his twin sons call games for the same team? Like, together or alternating? How does that work? NM IDC.

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Post by GeddyWrox »

His daughter's name is Summerlyn??????

Lesson
Grandmaster Flashchat

Post by Lesson »

Big Amoco Sign wrote:
January 25 23, 10:46 am
I like Dan (mostly for his knowledge of Cardinals baseball) but I do think he's a homer and wished he'd dial it down. I really liked Dan a lot in the mid-2000s. He was the most humble guy ever. I totally get people not liking him. My coastal baseball friends loathe him and think he's a clown. And I get it because they have insanely good pros like Dave Sims, Rick Rizzs, Jon Miller, and Joe Davis etc. out here. So Dan comes off bombastic and over-the-top to those kind of fans. But he was ours so I didn't care. I would love to go a different direction than THAT type.

Chip feels like a fill-in. And not for a Dan comeback. But for a new Goldsmith-like guy they will probably bring up in the next few years. I would not be surprised if Chip only did one season.

Totally see how casuals, non-Cardinals homers might view Chip as an upgrade.
I think pretty much all broadcasters are homers, though. At the end of the day they're either employed directly by the team or the RSNs that pay a [expletive] ton of $$$ to air said team.

Could you imagine Jack Buck bashing the Cardinals while employed by Gussie Busch or John Rooney saying that Bill DeWitt is a cheapskate or Dan saying that Matheny is a dog [expletive] manager while broadcasting the team?

AdmiralKird
MBA, CPA, CFA, CFP, JD, PE, MD

Post by AdmiralKird »

Well, you get a few beers in him...

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

Lesson wrote:
January 31 23, 7:38 pm
Big Amoco Sign wrote:
January 25 23, 10:46 am
I like Dan (mostly for his knowledge of Cardinals baseball) but I do think he's a homer and wished he'd dial it down. I really liked Dan a lot in the mid-2000s. He was the most humble guy ever. I totally get people not liking him. My coastal baseball friends loathe him and think he's a clown. And I get it because they have insanely good pros like Dave Sims, Rick Rizzs, Jon Miller, and Joe Davis etc. out here. So Dan comes off bombastic and over-the-top to those kind of fans. But he was ours so I didn't care. I would love to go a different direction than THAT type.

Chip feels like a fill-in. And not for a Dan comeback. But for a new Goldsmith-like guy they will probably bring up in the next few years. I would not be surprised if Chip only did one season.

Totally see how casuals, non-Cardinals homers might view Chip as an upgrade.
I think pretty much all broadcasters are homers, though. At the end of the day they're either employed directly by the team or the RSNs that pay a [expletive] ton of $$$ to air said team.

Could you imagine Jack Buck bashing the Cardinals while employed by Gussie Busch or John Rooney saying that Bill DeWitt is a cheapskate or Dan saying that Matheny is a dog [expletive] manager while broadcasting the team?
You should hear a SF broadcast when the team is bad. Or Philly. Or Boston or NY.

I don't recall scathing criticism from Dan during the 2016-2018 run.

And [expletive] on owners is not really what I mean by homerism.

Lesson
Grandmaster Flashchat

Post by Lesson »

Big Amoco Sign wrote:
February 1 23, 2:30 pm
You should hear a SF broadcast when the team is bad. Or Philly. Or Boston or NY.

I'm familiar with Michael Kay and he's a Yankees employee. If I was a Yankees fan I'd appreciate how he calls games. Alas, I don't.

Broadcasters aren't going to be critical or "non-homer". They're employed by teams or employers who have a financial interest with not pissing off teams.

No broadcaster is objective when calling a game for a team they're employed by.

SunnyJim
Veteran Player

Post by SunnyJim »

You get the job as PBP guy. Do the live reads, say great things about the team, and always take the home team side.

Eventually you need to get liquored up and enjoy the moment.

Karim
Single A Minor League Player

Post by Karim »

Lesson wrote:
February 1 23, 4:49 pm
Big Amoco Sign wrote:
February 1 23, 2:30 pm

I'm familiar with Michael Kay and he's a Yankees employee. If I was a Yankees fan I'd appreciate how he calls games. Alas, I don't.

Broadcasters aren't going to be critical or "non-homer". They're employed by teams or employers who have a financial interest with not pissing off teams.

No broadcaster is objective when calling a game for a team they're employed by.
Tell that to John Kelly and Darren Pang. They're beloved by pretty much every fanbase in the NHL.

Karim
Single A Minor League Player

Post by Karim »

and Joe Buck wasn't one to slurp up the Cards when he was on KMOX, KPLR, and FSMW.