Steve Adams' NL Central comments

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Steve Adams' NL Central comments

Post by mikechamp »

These comments came from a chat with MLB Trade Rumors' Steve Adams that occurred on January 3. (If you like him, you can find him on Twitter @Adams_Steve.)

Not too many questions this time (i.e., a regular Steve Adams chat). I included a bonus Q&A about Manfred.

The link to the entire chat can be found here: https://live.jotcast.com/chat/chat-with ... 14705.html

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Do you think Grisham is a possibility in a trade for the Reds?

Steve Adams
I think the on-paper fit is good, but I doubt the Padres give him up without getting MLB-ready help back, and I don't really think the Reds are in a spot where they're going to give up someone with MORE control than Grisham has in order to acquire him and spend money on his (modest) arbitration salary.
What's the probability of Bryan Reynolds being traded?

Steve Adams
Very low, just as it's been for the past couple years. Once we get to this year's trade deadline and, more likely, next offseason -- that'll probably change.
Can you explain why any team that signs Hosmer will only be on the hook for league minimum? I've read that several places and don't understand.

Steve Adams
The Padres agreed to pay the remainder of Hosmer's salary (minus the league minimum) under the terms of the trade that sent him to Boston. They're not absolved of that commitment just because Boston chose to cut him loose.
Would the Cards think about trading Flaherty if he gets off to a good start? Impending free agent who has given them every indication he is gone.

Steve Adams
If he gets off to a good start and the Cardinals unexpectedly crater, I suppose, but there's no sense to capitalizing on a hot start (via trade) if the Cards contend, as expected.
Breaking News: MLB owners considering trading commissioner Manfred to Japanese leagues in exchange for NPB commissioner.

Steve Adams
Why would they? Manfred's job is to make money for the owners, and he's good at that. The idea that he's a steward of the game who's supposed to act in the interest of fans is misguided. The owners vote on whether to keep him as commissioner, and they cast those votes based on whether their bank accounts grow enough under his leadership.

Tags: