Michael McKenry's NL Central comments

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Michael McKenry's NL Central comments

Post by mikechamp »

These comments came from a chat with former MLB catcher Michael McKenry that occurred on January 25. He played for the Rockies, Red Sox, Pirates and Cardinals. He is now a part of the Pirates game production (pregame, postgame, color analyst).

Because he played for 2 NL Central teams (and is still employed by one of them), there are a lot more NL Central questions than bonus Q&As. I still included 3. As always, click on the link to read the entire chat.

The link to the entire chat can be found here: https://live.jotcast.com/chat/live-chat ... 14865.html

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Michael thanks for doing this! It is such a treat! In 2016 you spent time with four different MLB teams minor league affiliates plus some time with the Cardinals. What was that like, all the moving? Any funny/horror stories? Through all that you had a .926 OPS! How did that happen? Thanks!

Michael McKenry
That was a crazy year to say the least. Was told I made the team in spring, only to tear my low ab in spring. First extended spring of my career. Left my house to go play, and had a offer taken away. All after coming off of having a major knee surgery.

The funniest thing that year was my bats got lost by fed-ex and I had two bats for something like ten days. So everyday I would treat them like they were the only bats that ever existed. I cleaned them, put them in a sanitary sock for warmth, and even took them home when there was only one solider left.
Always wondered about how the seemingly bad blood between Pittsburgh and Cincinnati was seen in the locker room. Lots of beanballs on both sides for a lot of years.

Michael McKenry
Honestly I believe it was the game policing itself for a while until Chapman hit Cutch up by his Head and I believe that is where it really took a turn.

I love old school baseball mix with the new age. Let the guys play and they will figure it out one way or another. We won the wild card game and sent them home that was a sweet victory and I'm sure a gut punch to Cincy.
Michael---you have the honor of being in probably the best, outside the historic, ballparks in baseball. Other than PNC---which ballparks are your favorites to either be at or play in???

Michael McKenry
You got that right PNC is a little slice of heaven. I had the best seat in the house or at least I thought when I caught now being apart of the broadcast... The view from the Booth is Epic!

Colorado was incredible because one its Colorado and also the weather and sky was always wild to see. St. Louis and the gentlemen's game feel it always had. But Camden and Wrigley were the two I felt like a little kid at.
Hey Fort, thanks for doing this. What do you think about the lineup that the Buccos will be putting out for 2023? Barring no Spring Training injuries, it actually seems... somewhat decent? I know the pitching leaves a lot to be desired, but they might be a bit friskier than most expect.

Michael McKenry
This team with just a little growth from the youngsters is going to surprise a lot of people not to mention we are going to probably have one of the best AAA teams in the MiLB (talent wise) in the last decade.
It reminds me of the 2017 Durham team that I was on and we won the national championship and the Rays were fighting for a wild card spot.
I’m a Pirates fan, enjoy having you for the pregame show!

Michael McKenry
Thank you.
Any news on Yankees attempts to solidify that last OF spot?!?

Michael McKenry
I'm sure they are all over Cherington trying to get Reynolds Cause he would fit great there, but it would take a Brinks truck of prospects to get him in pinstripes.
Also he looks good and is one of my favs on the Bucs.
What was your favorite experience in the big leagues?

Michael McKenry
My first Homer against the Cubs.

10 pitch at bat, we took the lead, 38k going crazy and a curtain call.
You Lucky (Talented) Dude, you made it to the Game, so who was the best pitcher you caught, the best pitcher you faced in the batters box and your favorite moment?

Michael McKenry
Pitcher is tough but Samuel D. in the Rockies system. (No clue how to spell his last name.)

Faced Chris Carpenter his Cutter was invisible.
Hey Michael, what is your favorite MLB stadium that you have played at?

Michael McKenry
ALL of them. Means I was in the Majors.
PNC without question.
Hi! I saw that you played 1 inning at 3rd base with the Pirates. What was going through your mind during that inning?

Michael McKenry
WEEKS....BRAUN...FIELDER....HART O BOY
Good morning Michael-- Did you have a favorite stadium to play in, or a least favorite (whether due to location, facilities, or crowds)? As a fan, I absolutely loved visiting PNC, maybe my favorite.

Michael McKenry
PNC is Heavenly
Local question: Do you see the Pirates making the playoffs with Bryan Reynolds still on the team or do you think ultimately that window will be after he is traded (assuming no extension which looks very unlikely)?

Michael McKenry
I think it's a great group and they are going to be good for many years to come, and any team is better with a guy like Reynolds, but if the Pirates can get the load of players they are seeking for him it will make the organization better.
What was your experience like working with Molina in 2016?

Michael McKenry
Humbling! He listened with intent and asked meaningful questions. And I'm not sure his heart beats more then a couple beats per minute when he plays.

His game awareness, and ability to slow the game down was remarkable.
Thanks for doing this chat Michael. I read awhile back that Roberto Perez was going to play winter ball to see how his health was. Have you heard any news and could the Pirates invite him to spring training if so?

Michael McKenry
I haven't but with Hedges and the young Catching talent behind him I don't believe we will see him in a Bucs uniform anytime soon.

I pray he is good and gets back on the field.... Perez can flat out catch.
What was it like getting traded so early in your big league career?

Michael McKenry
Was a nervous wreck the first time because it was so new, but the second trade in the same season from the Red Sox to the Pirates I will forever be thankful for and humbled by. They traded me to give me a better situation and opportunity.

Also Cherrington, Theo, and Terry called me to wish me luck. Those are things that you never forget as a player... when the front office and or big league staff go out of their way.
Big Bucco fan here. What changes are in store for the broadcast this season? Loved the ingame tips. More...more.

Michael McKenry
Hoping to give you more access to the players and the development process. I will be doing in studio game hits a little differently and we are going to do some broadcast where I'm in the stands as a third analyst.
So, Cutch is back. Were you as surprised as Jason Mackey (of PPG) that it happened?

Michael McKenry
YES!
fired up though

Cutch is back where he belongs!!! You're exactly what the organization, the players & the fans need. And exactly what this city deserves… A great person, a MVP, a servant leader, and a winner. A Pirate, a legend in the black & gold and a Pittsburgher.

Good teams don’t just happen. They take honesty, hard work and growth. That’s what we had in Pittsburgh when I was blessed to wear the black and Gold & super
Fortunate to have some great people all around me especially teammates.

Great teams are created by people who are willing to invest into themselves and others with real responsibility and accountability. To encourage, invest, and empower themselves and the team around them. This all happens by leading themselves, serving others and having a willingness to be led.

THANKFUL FOR THE HEART BEHIND THE MISSION

LETS GO BUCS!!!
What are your thoughts on the electronic strike zone? It seems to me that it would help reduce the number of bad calls, which seems worth it, but does it also diminish the role of catchers and their skills in pitch framing?

Michael McKenry
Honestly I'm a purist when it comes to this. I love the human element and don't want that taken from the game.

However I did love the AFL approach where you can challenge it. It was fun and I think would bring some excitement in real time to the game.

Lastly the ability to receive and the value you have as a Catcher would completely change. So for all my boys in mask I hope they can find a balance because its coming at some point.
My son is 9 and has gravitated towards catcher. I never played catcher but I'm all for it. Any advice for a young catcher?

Michael McKenry
Fall in love with serving your teammates, Listen more than speak, ask questions, and lastly focus on mobility and being an athlete.

Block everything!
With all of the roster moves that go on, is there a lot of players loyalty to a team? Or is it more of a transactional relationship?

Michael McKenry
Its honestly hit or miss and why wouldn't it be? I believe teams like the Braves are doing a great Job. They have a balanced staff of new age approach guys and Old school guys that are open minded, they are rewarding young players, and they are giving chances to players.

You build trust and loyalty over time through repeated actions, and I hope that happens more and more throughout the league.
Transparency is an incredible weapon to grow a Culture.

Tags: