Post by CardsofSTL »

Danny Mac knew when to GTFO

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Re: Bally is toast

Post by GeddyWrox »

Joe Shlabotnik wrote:
January 27 23, 3:23 pm
I'm having trouble following who's on what side. Ultimately will it be good the Cardinals / MLB become owners because they want to ditch the blackouts? That's what I'm inferring from this thread but I'm not sure I am getting it right.
It's fuzzy for me too, Joe. The way I read it, if Bally declares bankruptcy, they will be able to get out of their current contracts. So there goes that fat billion dollar paycheck that the team was using for a big chunk of their revenue. So they may have to reduce payroll dramatically in the short term.

Anything to do with blackouts being lifted is probably easily several years away. This will just exacerbate the issue with getting the product out to the fans. So speculation is it could help speed up the process of getting the owners on board with lifting the blackouts.

Of course, the cardinals could do something unpredictable and try to start their own network, a la Yankees or Red Sox. But I doubt they do that. They'll just try to latch on with the next best option.

mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Post by mikechamp »

go birds wrote:
January 27 23, 12:08 pm
i hate the idea of streaming sports in general so this sucks.

the feed is behind and there's a good chance of buffering--never fails. It's cool to have the access when on the go and watch on an iPad or something, but I'm usually trying to watch on my big screen at home and there's 100% chance the feed will be interrupted at some point.

first world problems i know, but the future of watching live sports is not looking good (see NFL Sunday ticket).
I'm with you on this. Unless the feed is strong/consistent, the buffering is maddening. It might drive me back to radio and just watching highlights on my phone in the middle of the night when it won't buffer because traffic is low.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

mikechamp wrote:
January 27 23, 5:58 pm
go birds wrote:

the feed is behind and there's a good chance of buffering--never fails. It's cool to have the access when on the go and watch on an iPad or something, but I'm usually trying to watch on my big screen at home and there's 100% chance the feed will be interrupted at some point.

first world problems i know, but the future of watching live sports is not looking good (see NFL Sunday ticket).
I'm with you on this. Unless the feed is strong/consistent, the buffering is maddening. It might drive me back to radio and just watching highlights on my phone in the middle of the night when it won't buffer because traffic is low.
Okay, old men yelling at clouds.

No one is forcing you to stream or taking away cable.

Karim
Single A Minor League Player

Post by Karim »

GeddyWrox wrote:
January 27 23, 4:32 pm
Joe Shlabotnik wrote:
January 27 23, 3:23 pm
I'm having trouble following who's on what side. Ultimately will it be good the Cardinals / MLB become owners because they want to ditch the blackouts? That's what I'm inferring from this thread but I'm not sure I am getting it right.
It's fuzzy for me too, Joe. The way I read it, if Bally declares bankruptcy, they will be able to get out of their current contracts. So there goes that fat billion dollar paycheck that the team was using for a big chunk of their revenue. So they may have to reduce payroll dramatically in the short term.

Anything to do with blackouts being lifted is probably easily several years away. This will just exacerbate the issue with getting the product out to the fans. So speculation is it could help speed up the process of getting the owners on board with lifting the blackouts.

Of course, the cardinals could do something unpredictable and try to start their own network, a la Yankees or Red Sox. But I doubt they do that. They'll just try to latch on with the next best option.
DeWitt would be a fool if he doesn't try. 14th in payroll isn't going to generate a World Series winner in this day and age.

AdmiralKird
MBA, CPA, CFA, CFP, JD, PE, MD

Post by AdmiralKird »

Now that most of ballpark village and the physical infrastructure is complete, the Cardinals might be more inclined to take on building their own TV network. Usually teams just want that steady cash flow from a network and to wash their hands of dealing with production - but Bally right now isn't reliable and its a changing landscape. With so much brand awareness and retention tied to broadcasting games, they may want to try and maximize control over that even if it initially costs more per year.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
January 28 23, 8:57 am
mikechamp wrote:
go birds wrote:

MLB Extra Innings, a couple years back, incorporated the MLB.TV feed via the channel lineup on comcast and directv. It was a weird setup, but it worked almost as good as old Extra Innings with little issue.

however with Bally going into the [expletive] (who could have possibly seen this bubble popping?!), there will be a streaming company that will buy the rights and there will be all kinds of bells and whistles like homerun probability on a 1-1 count while the announcer casually talks about WRC+ while a betting ad scrolls on the bottom ribbon and while all that is ok, you won't even be able to watch the game uninterrupted because it will be lagging behind and/or buffering.

That's 100% going to happen.

Its about to happen with the NFL since they are going to youtubetv.

so, yes, my hand will be forced here

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

I finally found a way around the blackout with the MLB package on YouTube TV towards the end of the season last year. I don't know why it took me so long to figure out.

Basically during the season I set my home area to somewhere that I can be sure I'm going to pass through every couple of months so that I can login from there on my phone and keep it up to date. Last year I did that in a town in Texas so that the only games I was blacked out for were American League teams that the Cards aren't playing very often anyway. Then I just had to update my TV to the location of my phone and as long as I don't refresh that location on my TV, it never gets changed and I can watch from anywhere on the road. Eventually I had a friend that I let use a family account for give me his sign on information and I set his home area to Cheyenne, Wyoming since I was sitting there waiting to get a DOT inspection done on a trailer before I could get my next load and it worked great for him.

The only downside is that I get all the local channels for the area that I set it to and that meant that I got channels in Texas. During campaign season. Their political ads are just insane. I have never been so happy for an election to be over. I want to use somewhere different this year but Texas is the one area that I know I'm going to get through regularly enough to keep it up to date since I head back to Dallas every five or six weeks when I finish up a trainee so that I can take them back to the yard, spend a day or two relaxing and then get back on the road with another new driver.

mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Post by mikechamp »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
January 28 23, 8:57 am
mikechamp wrote:
go birds wrote:

I'm not yelling at clouds. I'm just yelling about the cloud... that will kidnap my signal and send it to buffering island.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

tlombard wrote:
January 30 23, 9:07 pm
I finally found a way around the blackout with the MLB package on YouTube TV towards the end of the season last year. I don't know why it took me so long to figure out.

Basically during the season I set my home area to somewhere that I can be sure I'm going to pass through every couple of months so that I can login from there on my phone and keep it up to date. Last year I did that in a town in Texas so that the only games I was blacked out for were American League teams that the Cards aren't playing very often anyway. Then I just had to update my TV to the location of my phone and as long as I don't refresh that location on my TV, it never gets changed and I can watch from anywhere on the road. Eventually I had a friend that I let use a family account for give me his sign on information and I set his home area to Cheyenne, Wyoming since I was sitting there waiting to get a DOT inspection done on a trailer before I could get my next load and it worked great for him.

The only downside is that I get all the local channels for the area that I set it to and that meant that I got channels in Texas. During campaign season. Their political ads are just insane. I have never been so happy for an election to be over. I want to use somewhere different this year but Texas is the one area that I know I'm going to get through regularly enough to keep it up to date since I head back to Dallas every five or six weeks when I finish up a trainee so that I can take them back to the yard, spend a day or two relaxing and then get back on the road with another new driver.
This is both hilarious and depressing.

Look at the lengths people are going to to avoid the stupid blackout rules. And, that's for a paid subscription.

A much easier way is to just pirate it.