Steve Adams' NL Central comments

Discuss all things Cardinals Baseball
mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Steve Adams' NL Central comments

Post by mikechamp »

These comments came from a chat with MLB Trade Rumors' Steve Adams that occurred on January 31. (If you like him, you can find him on Twitter @Adams_Steve.)

He lets his feelings be known about the Reds. Wow!!! No bonus Q&As... because there was another chat right after his. Stay tuned for a cool surprise.

The link to the entire chat can be found here: https://live.jotcast.com/chat/chat-with ... 14962.html

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Chad Pinter is another underwhelming signing with better options available. Michael Wacha and several relievers out there to support three good young starters. Their projected payroll is a paltry 80 million. They have spent at least 50 more in the past. This seems a big middle finger to the fans. Do you agree?

Steve Adams
I take a lot of flak from Reds fans for criticizing the team and am often branded a Reds hater, so I'll elaborate here using this example... I think the 2021-23 seasons in general are a slap in the face to Reds fans from an ownership group that has proven (largely through Phil Castellini's boneheaded comments) that it's out of touch with reality and with a fan base that deserves better. Reds fans call out my critique of their inactivity, questionable decisions etc. because they have a good group of passionate fans who care, and ownership is all but telling those same fans they don't give a crap when Phil's out there making comments like "Where else are you gonna go?"

The Reds can point to market size, their crappy TV deal, etc. But every team pulled in $65MM from national TV and streaming deals last year before even considering gate revenue, local TV deals, and other revenue streams. Every team got $30MM from the most recent sale of the remaining stake in BAMTech.

The Reds have spent modestly this winter, and in a vacuum, the Wil Myers and Luke Weaver deals are fine, but against the broader backdrop of the team, I'd be pissed off if I were a Reds fan. Especially when Phil Castellini is opening his mouth again to say they run the team "like a non-profit."
The Cardinals have been really quiet this off-season besides Contreras. Are they waiting for a domino to fall on the trade market or are they done for the off-season?

Steve Adams
I still think they'll sign one of the left-handed relievers, at least, but in terms of a big marquee trade or something, I'm obviously less bullish every week.
Tyler O'Neill for Chris Flexen. Who says no?

Steve Adams
Cardinals aren't giving up two years of O'Neill for one year of a back-end starter.
Unless Ben Cherington finds a price he likes for Bryan Reynolds, do the Pirates seem pretty set going into spring training? Or should they still look for bullpen and/or depth?

Steve Adams
I don't think anyone's going to meet his asking price, and I don't expect much more in the way of guaranteed deals, either. The Pirates could obviously stand to improve in a variety of areas, but this feels like the 40-man roster for now. Can't rule out a couple more non-roster pickups for camp though.
Houser, Hiura and Wiemer are the start to a package for what kind of return?

Steve Adams
I don't think Hiura has much value at all. Not even fully certain I'd buy him getting claimed by another team if he were DFA'ed with a $2.2MM salary.

Houser is a nice fourth/fifth rotation option with a couple years of control... decent piece but not huge value. Joey Wiemer's the only thing in this package with considerable trade value, but probably not to the extent you're thinking based on this question.

I don't think that's the type of package that would net a high-end player for the Brewers.
It's sort of a collection of spare parts.
How can teams like the Reds, Pirates, A's say they cant afford to compete, when Forbes just posted MLB exceeded 10.8 Billion dollars? Thats $360 million per team (no team will agree to a lesser cut of that)? I as a Reds fan feel they are lying to our fan base and banking that revenue. There should be a rule if you dont use say 60% of that on payroll you loose revenue the next season. That would stop tanking!!

Steve Adams
I touched on my thoughts on the Reds earlier. I don't see how, with $65MM in national streaming/tv revenue and $30MM from the BAMTech to Disney sale, they can trot out an $80MM-ish payroll while Phil Castellini makes comments like "we run this club like a non-profit."

It's insulting to fans. I wish I had a better answer, but if it makes you feel any better, I'd be livid too if I were a lifelong Reds fan.
Who is the first Pirates $100 Million contract? Which happens first: A Pirates $100M contract or a $500M contract?

Steve Adams
This is fun!

I'll say O'Neil Cruz gets the $100MM deal after a breakout 2023 season. But... an extension might not happen until next spring, and there's a chance Ohtani can reach $500MM in free agency next winter... close one.

I think there's enough room for Ohtani to diminish his stock that he's not a lock for $500MM next winter or anything. To get 500, he'd need a pretty ideal walk year. And after him, Soto's the only real chance on the horizon. So you've got two chances for the half-billion deal in the next few years, and both need things to play out pretty perfectly to get there.

Pirates have boatloads of young talent coming, and it's reasonable enough that after a breakout year, the team puts forth some kind of nine- or ten-year extension offer worth 100+.

I'll take the Pirates.

I enjoyed that question more than any sane person would, ha.
How does McNeil extension with Mets impact Reynolds negotiations?

Steve Adams
It doesn't? I don't expect Bryan Reynolds to move, and I don't expect the Mets to be the team to get him even if the Pirates do trade him.

Tags: