Two good pro prospects from the Arkansas Razorbacks

Talk about the Cardinals minor league baseball
BradyHolzhauer
AAA Minor League Player

Two good pro prospects from the Arkansas Razorbacks

Post by BradyHolzhauer »

Most of you already know about Nick Schmidt, the lefty pitcher from St. Louis who pitches for the Hogs. He's 3-0 with a 1.50 ERA right now. He got the win in the first game of a double header today and had 11 strike outs. He's going to be a good pro, hope the Cards jump on him.

The other prospect I thought I'd inform everyone about is Razorback third baseman Casey Coon. This kid can flat out hit the ball. He leads the SEC in RBIs right now. He's a junior college transfer...at the college he played at, that league used wood bats...he batted .369. He's on fire right now for the Hogs, and he's been a part of the action in all the games so far this season. He's been the most consistent player. I have become a quick fan of his play, and I would love to see him in the Cardinals' system.

ToughGuy_BlueShirt
Perennial All-Star

Post by ToughGuy_BlueShirt »

I don't know about Coon, but Schmidt will be gone long before the Cards get to pick.

I know you live in Arkansas. Have you ever seen a Razorbacks game? If you have, that's pretty cool.

BradyHolzhauer
AAA Minor League Player

Post by BradyHolzhauer »

ToughGuy_BlueShirt wrote:I don't know about Coon, but Schmidt will be gone long before the Cards get to pick.

I know you live in Arkansas. Have you ever seen a Razorbacks game? If you have, that's pretty cool.
You are right about Schmidt...sure would be nice to have him though. As for Coon, he's a bargain pick, because he is relatively unknown, but he is crazy good. I haven't seen the baseball team play this year yet, but I am going in April to see them play Florida at Baum Stadium in Fayetteville. I am going to the University of Arkansas to major in management and marketing some day, and my whole family are huge fans of the Hogs. I've been to tons of football games and a few basketball games, but I follow all three sports heavily. Just like the big soap opera that is the football team...cough..

JohnnyJay
Perennial All-Star

Post by JohnnyJay »

BradyHolzhauer wrote:
ToughGuy_BlueShirt wrote:I don't know about Coon, but Schmidt will be gone long before the Cards get to pick.

You are right about Schmidt...sure would be nice to have him though. As for Coon, he's a bargain pick, because he is relatively unknown, but he is crazy good. I haven't seen the baseball team play this year yet, but I am going in April to see them play Florida at Baum Stadium in Fayetteville. I am going to the University of Arkansas to major in management and marketing some day, and my whole family are huge fans of the Hogs. I've been to tons of football games and a few basketball games, but I follow all three sports heavily. Just like the big soap opera that is the football team...cough..
lol

When I saw the thread title, I assumed it was going to be about the football Razorbacks! My boss is from Little Rock, and from my experiences down there for work (our home office is there), that place lives, breathes, shats Razorback football!

Anyhow, interesting players. I'm not real familiar with either.

Fat Strat
Official GRB Sponsor of Larry Bigbie

Post by Fat Strat »

Moving to the minor league forum...

Izzyman
Everyday Player

Post by Izzyman »

Why? Baseball America ranks Schmidt as the 21st best draft prospect.

fewgoodcards
Fringe Major League Player

Post by fewgoodcards »

schmidt will definitely be there at 18 and could very well be there at 36. there are major concerns over his lack of a quality breaking ball, and he has had some control problems early. with the great depth in both college and high school lefties this year teams will find a guy that has it all if they are taking him that early.

another arkansas guy that you forgot to mention is closer jess todd. todd's stats this year 12.1 IP, 11 hits, 4 runs, 3 earned, 2 walks, 21 strikeouts.

ToughGuy_BlueShirt
Perennial All-Star

Post by ToughGuy_BlueShirt »

Yeah, I know that's my bad. I forgot we get the 18th pick. We get 18th then 36. I keep thinking that we get the last pick because we won the WS. But in baseball it goes by record. That's my fault. I still don't think the Cards will take him at 18 though and he wont be around at 36.

fewgoodcards
Fringe Major League Player

Post by fewgoodcards »

i'm thinking he is going to be around at 36. i know college pitchers like him usually don't last that long, but this year isn't a typical year. there are several college lefties that are ahead of him and there are also a lot of very talented high school lefties.

my college lefty draft board
1. david price
2. ross detwiler
3. daniel moskos
4. joe savery
5. sean doolittle
6. nick schmidt

if cole st. clair comes back and pitches like he did last year that is another college lefty i would put ahead of schmidt. its way too early to guess, but at this point i would have to think he is close to making it down to 36.

Suicide_Squeeze
Veteran Player

Post by Suicide_Squeeze »

Just like the big soap opera that is the football team...cough..
Isn't that the darned truth! Thanks Mitch Mustain for letting your mom push you around. Way to man up there.

I was born and raised a Hogs fan. Nice to be around others. No one down here in Gator-ville gets it. God, how I hate the Gators..... :|