2012 Cards Draft Wrap-Up

Talk about the Cardinals minor league baseball
a_smith
Perennial All-Star

Re: 2012 Cards Draft Wrap-Up

Post by a_smith »

phins wrote:
docellis wrote:I am late to the 'phins is a minor league/drafting genius" party, but, seriously, do you at least get to work in this industry? Or are you doing this for yourself (and us)?
At one point I wanted to work in the sports industry and had no idea what capacity. I interned with Hammons Field (which is where Springfield plays) and had a chance to meet scouts and some other industry execs. At the time, Missouri State had a huge prospect on their team named Ross Detwiler, and I was able to pick the brains of several gracious scouts and even a few cross checkers (who are like scouts on steroids).

At the same time I was interning with the MO Sports Hall of Fame and had a chance to meet some professional athletes and pick their brains on the recruiting/signing process, and that perspective was great for me to get the 'other side' of things.

While doing these things I also found out how much these individuals get paid, and the amount of time they spend on the road. This made me realize I wanted to do something different with my life and I added a Finance major to my Sports Management studies (SM was too interesting to just drop for me). Unbeknownst at the time, but the Finance background really helped with the baseball endeavors as it is becoming increasing analytical and statistical. I work in the Finance field, and use statistical models and things of the sort to help me with my amateur scouting stuff.

A big shift in the way the industry handles this sort of thing is occurring where teams are going to video more than solely relying on seeing a player live. That gives me a little confidence in the things I see on film and gave me a little motivation to do it more often.

Closest I've come to doing anything with it is I've thought about doing a blog to follow in the great JL21's footsteps. Thanks for the kind words though...happy people enjoy it, as I gain joy out of it as well.
it is good phins
It is hard to be informative, rational and give thoughtful analysis without overgeneralizing conclusions.
I really liked your analysis of the cards drafting plans.

Thanks it is appreciated.
If you did a blog I would certainly be a reader. though you could just keep posting here.

BW23
Hall Of Famer

Post by BW23 »

I appreciate the write-up, phins. I thought I might have to set aside the entire day to read it, but it didn't take that long. My bosses are also appreciative.

I'm not going to disagree with anything you said. I think with little star power in the draft but the Cards having 5 first-day picks, our hopes were probably too high. On the surface, though, I like the picks. I thought it was interesting that the two hardest signings might have been the first two picks after the 10th round.

One thing I'd add is that it will be interesting to see how this plays out in terms of trades. Some of the college guys sound like either future trade bait or a way to validate some trades that might be necessary this season. It may never be completely apparent, but I think the need to make trades this season has gone way up in the last couple of weeks. This class might help with that.

a_smith
Perennial All-Star

Post by a_smith »

phins wrote: Closest I've come to doing anything with it is I've thought about doing a blog to follow in the great JL21's footsteps. Thanks for the kind words though...happy people enjoy it, as I gain joy out of it as well.
jl21 has a blog?

baseball? Film? leather fashion?

link?

phins
Sobbing quietly during Fox programming

Post by phins »

I believe it's called TheDroidYouKnow. It's gotten popular with several IMDB hot list appearances.

It's mostly film based.

Secret Weapon
Perennial All-Star

Post by Secret Weapon »

this was almost as good as jeff gordon's draft recap