NFL Season

A forum for non-baseball sports
thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Re: NFL Season

Post by thrill »

I don't know that I've seen a fan base lose enthusiasm for a big time QB acquisition quicker than what's happening in Denver right now. Even his teammates seem entirely underwhelmed by the Russell Wilson experience. Is he toast or has he just not mastered the offense?

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

I don't know that I've seen a fan base lose enthusiasm for a big time QB acquisition quicker than what's happening in Denver right now. Even his teammates seem entirely underwhelmed by the Russell Wilson experience. He seems to generate more than his fair share of contempt from his teammates going back to even the glory days in Seattle.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

thing i hear is that hackett was their big head coach hire but he was really meant to snag aaron rodgers. that didn't happen so they got another big QB but he doesn't mesh with how hackett sets his offense. or some variation of that. regardless, people are definitely apathetic already.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

Two big things with Russell Wilson and why it doesn't look like it's working:

1) Now that he isn't rolling out of the pocket on every play, his height or lack thereof might actually be a problem.

2) With more teams focusing on not giving up the deep ball, it's taking away the thing he does best.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

There were two touchdowns scored in last night's game, which is two more than were scored in last week's Thursday Night Football game, and it still amounted to less scoring than the Broncos-Colts debacle.

And yet, the game was nowhere near the worst thing that was on Amazon Prime during the TNF timeslot. I have no idea who thought this [expletive] would be good.

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

Just saw this on Twitter. Really bad. For whatever reason they haven’t canceled the game yet.

sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Post by sighyoung »

ghostrunner wrote:
January 2 23, 8:25 pm
Just saw this on Twitter. Really bad. For whatever reason they haven’t canceled the game yet.
The game is suspended now.

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

Sounds like he’s hanging on. In critical condition.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

really surreal thing to see live on tv and in living color. had a buddy at that game and he said you could hear a pin drop in the stadium until they finally called the game

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Was absolutely wild watching it live.

I saw him go down and was like...that's...not good. No idea what happened but didn't look like a concussion and the way he fell made it pretty clear he was out cold.

You, or I at least, kind of get desensitized to injuries and just immediately assume he would be fine after some attention/pixie dust from the medical staff. McDermott immediately looked more worried than coaches typically do, though, still I didn't really believe anything could be too bad. But, then when they start showing Josh Allen covering his face like he just saw a ghost, someone else crying, and Diggs walking around just uttering 'oh my god oh my god oh my god' to no one in particular, those thoughts of optimism kind of fade and it just becomes, like, did this kid just die. That 20-30 second span of the players reactions was terrifying, certainly unlike anything I'd ever seen. Immediately reminded me of Girardi's speech in Chicago when he was fighting back tears.

I stayed up a while, still hopeful there would be a report saying he was awake and recovering. When that didn't come, it was tough to go to bed.

Today they came out and said he went into cardiac arrest, they gave got his heart beating again on the field, and he was in critical condition and in the ICU.
Last update I saw a couple hours ago, from Hamlin's uncle, is that he is still sedated and ventilated in the ICU. They've decreased the oxygen saturation from 100% to 50%. Though there are still a lot of unknowns at this point.

With the general caveat that I'm not a doctor and only the docs involved with Hamlin's treatment know what is going on, general consensus by youtube docs is he suffered from commotio cordis, an arrhythmia due to screwed up electrical signals in the heart, and caused by trauma to the heart/chest area. It's apparently the same underlying thing that caused Chris Pronger to collapse after being hit with a slapshot to the chest area back in 98/99 playoffs. Pronger tweeted his support for Hamlin with a video of the incident that took him down.

Even if they had the same injury, the obvious differences remain. Pronger was awake and moving while being stretchered off. And cleared to return a couple days later. That prognosis seems far from a certainty, if not impossible, for Hamlin who 24 hours later is still sedated. At this point, from what little I've heard and this is all pure speculation, the main concern from outsiders is any brain damage caused by a lack of oxygen. No one has said how long it took to get the heart shocked back into rhythm and 9-10 minutes from some accounts of CPR is a long time. So, there's that. Conversely, the NFL has medical staff trained for precisely this type of situation on hand at every game and Hamlin was being attended to within seconds of his collapse. So, you'd think they were able to ensure the best care possible. But, who knows.

It's really bugged me. Such a freak event. According to Hamlin's uncle, so take it fwiw, but probably the best source of information at the moment, Damar would have died without immediate medical attention. I start thinking about our kids playing sports, and apparently this commotio cordis is way more popular in younger males aged 5-15. And caused by things like baseballs/lacrosse balls/pucks to the chest. CPR helps but really the heart needs to be shocked back into rhythm. I also heard every minute that passes until the heart is back in rhythm decreases the odds of survival by 10%. So, within 1 minute is 90-100% survivable, 2 minutes is 80-90, 3 minutes is 70-80. Pretty sure those are ballpark numbers, not precise calcs. But also believable. I then start thinking, if we had to deal with this, we're easily 10+ minutes from hospitals most of the time. Probably that far away from an ambulance half the time. We certainly aren't 2-3 minutes from an AED anywhere we play. Like, do I need to start carrying one with me. I know its unlikely. But, [expletive], this really got me worried. And, its seemingly the only way to really help.