NFL Season

A forum for non-baseball sports
AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Re: NFL Season

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Sounds like there's a lot of reason for optimism right now.
From what I've seen, he's awake and responsive but still intubated.

Doctors at the hospital gave a press conference as well. Didn't get to watch all of it, but from what I did, they said the cause hasn't been determined yet. No projection about the future. Immediate response was critical.

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

Sounds like a Bills/Chiefs AFC Championship game would be played on a neutral field.

That would be interesting. Probably the only reasonable solution.

Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

Socnorb11 wrote:
January 5 23, 8:40 pm
Sounds like a Bills/Chiefs AFC Championship game would be played on a neutral field.

I guess - though they could have also gotten rid of the extra week before the Super Bowl, pushed the playoffs back a week, and had the Bills/Cinci game played on the 15th.

Also I got a smile from this report from today's update:
But he can now communicate by shaking his head and nodding. He even wrote a question on a pad of paper, asking his nurse who had won the game.
What a relief that must have been to his family - to see he knew who/what/where he was.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Socnorb11 wrote:

I've seen so many different scenarios including that one.

There's a scenario where the AFC #1 gets to choose if they want a 1st round bye or HFA in the AFC championship game.

There's a scenario where the Bills somehow retain the AFC #1 seed but 8 teams are let into the playoffs from the AFC. I guess you'd have to do some mental gymnastics to make this one work, like only looking at #L, and applying the tie-breaker rules as they currently apply. Or something. Assuming a W on sunday, that would keep the Bills at 1, keep them with HFA, and force them to play a game in round 1.

If the Bills/Bengals MNF game is cancelled, and the Chiefs/Bengals/Bills all win on Sunday, and all end up as the top 3 seeds; I think the biggest advantage the 1 seed gets, by a country mile, is not having to face either the 2 or 3 seed until the AFC Championship game.

Or, I'll put it this way. In my opinion, the Chiefs/Bengals/Bills are the 3 best teams in the AFC. Unfortunately, under most scenarios, not finishing the Bills/Bengals MNF game will go on to hurt both teams almost regardless of what is done. The Bills lose out in getting the chance at the uncontested 1 seed, they would have to play (likely) the Bengals in round 2 and do so in Buffalo. The Bengals lose out in getting the chance (I think) at the 2 seed, where they could have to play the Bills in Round 2 but get to do it at home.

The Chiefs benefit largely, even if the AFC Championship is played at a neutral site or at the lower seeds home, simply by not having to face either the Bills or Cincy until the Championship.

Look at the Bills, assuming a 2 seed, most likely path to winning the SB now compared to if they had won on MNF: Pats, Bengals, Chiefs, 49ers (or whoever wins the NFC).

Compare that to the Chiefs most likely path now: Chargers, winner of Bills/Bengals, 49ers. Even if you put the Steelers or a Tualess Dolphins at the front of that, it's a pretty easy choice to take the Chiefs path even if they play the bengals/bills in cincy/buffalo.

Okay, done rambling.

tl;dr: Almost regardless of what the NFL does, cancelling the MNF game outright while the right correct thing to do, will end up being detrimental, but not crippling, to both the Bengals and Bills while benefiting the Chiefs, most likely.

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

Joe Shlabotnik wrote:
January 5 23, 8:58 pm
Socnorb11 wrote:

I guess - though they could have also gotten rid of the extra week before the Super Bowl, pushed the playoffs back a week, and had the Bills/Cinci game played on the 15th.
That wouldn't jive for the Bengals and Bills. Other teams would get a week off, and they wouldn't. That week off is huge this time of year.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

DUUUVAL

What a game!

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

The parity and competitive balance from the NFL's payroll cap has led to the Chiefs hosting the AFC Championship for a 5th straight season and 3/4 of the Conference Championship competitors being the same as last year.

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Post by GeddyWrox »

MrCrowesGarden wrote:
January 23 23, 8:48 am
The parity and competitive balance from the NFL's payroll cap has led to the Chiefs hosting the AFC Championship for a 5th straight season and 3/4 of the Conference Championship competitors being the same as last year.
I haven't watched that much in recent years, but it's still a QB driven league. Whichever teams have the best QB coupled with a decent coach/scheme are going to succeed pretty much year-in/year-out. Seems like Mahomes/Reid is the best combination of this in the league now that Brady/Bellichek is no more.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

For sure, having a QB who's already a HOFer or one who certainly appears to be on the trajectory makes a big difference. My point is the payroll cap does nothing for competitive balance.

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

MrCrowesGarden wrote:
January 23 23, 10:34 am
For sure, having a QB who's already a HOFer or one who certainly appears to be on the trajectory makes a big difference. My point is the payroll cap does nothing for competitive balance.

Sure it does. You can't use a 2 year sample size.

KC and Cincy have almost no shot at being competitive in baseball (you would agree that 2015 was a complete outlier). Yet they are uber competitive in football.

If there was no salary cap, Mahomes would probably be playing for the NY Giants right now (or next year, at the latest). Tyreek would probably be there with him.

While it is a QB-driven league, the 49ers are in the final 4 with a 7th round rookie at QB.

It's great entertainment.