A forum for non-baseball sports
redbirdjazzz
Perennial All-Star

Re: 2022-23 NBA Season

Post by redbirdjazzz »

MrCrowesGarden wrote:
October 31 22, 1:32 pm
So... Kyrie Irving is a disaster.
I've learned way more about the Nation of Islam, the Five-Percent Nation, and the Black Hebrew Israelites than I ever expected to. What a weird (and awful) dude.

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

I have no effing idea which fouls get you free throws and which don't. No idea. Seems totally arbitrary. It's frustrating.

This isn't even a homer rant (though the new Blazers did lose today--not on free throws). Heads shooting, tails on the floor. That's what it feels like.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

The 1st place team in the Western Conference is 12-7. The 10th place team is 9-8. Gonna be a wild season.

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

The Blazers were getting by on winning close games and gimmicky defense. Now they are losing the close games and the defense has been cracked. And Lillard is hurt. I still think they can be good. With the right move or two maybe they can actually be great. I guess we're just going to have two small guards with big defensive limitations for the rest of my life.

Utah plays good defense. Markannen is playing really well. Can Horton-Tucker and Beasley really play like this all year? Seems like a limited roster.

I think Memphis and the Clippers (though I haven't seen them yet) if healthy will be the class of the conference. Phoenix in the mix. Golden State is probably going to coast and then turn it on late. I like NO alright, but don't feel comfortable counting on Zion. Minnesota, who knows?

Which is all to say. I agree. It's going to be wild. But I do think a couple teams will emerge at the top, and probably won't be as surprising as Portland and Utah.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

Lauri has been great for Utah. The Kings(!) are on fire. Indiana bombs 3s, and Portland may have come back to Earth but are still way outperforming expectations. A lot of the teams expected to be trash bins haven't this year. I agree Golden State will click when they need to, but man, their JV team is awful. I was at least glad to see the Pelicans stomp them because good teams should destroy bad teams. They're still trying to figure out how to make Zion and Valanciunas work at the same time because right now it's one gets the ball inside while the other just kinda stands around, but I have faith they will. The rest of the team I think is good enough that they should shoot to at least avoid the 7-10 games.

Socnorb11
The Last Word

Post by Socnorb11 »

BottenFieldofDreams wrote:
November 22 22, 10:13 am
The Blazers were getting by on winning close games and gimmicky defense. Now they are losing the close games and the defense has been cracked. And Lillard is hurt. I still think they can be good. With the right move or two maybe they can actually be great. I guess we're just going to have two small guards with big defensive limitations for the rest of my life.

Utah plays good defense. Markannen is playing really well. Can Horton-Tucker and Beasley really play like this all year? Seems like a limited roster.

I think Memphis and the Clippers (though I haven't seen them yet) if healthy will be the class of the conference. Phoenix in the mix. Golden State is probably going to coast and then turn it on late. I like NO alright, but don't feel comfortable counting on Zion. Minnesota, who knows?

Which is all to say. I agree. It's going to be wild. But I do think a couple teams will emerge at the top, and probably won't be as surprising as Portland and Utah.

Denver says hello. They're half a game from leading the conference, despite playing 12 of their first 18 games on the road. With Jamal Murray and MJP back after missing last year, and several other new and valuable pieces still finding their roles, they could be very good once they get settled.

I agree that dismissing the Warriors is a fool's errand. They'll right the ship. Memphis is going to be right there. Clippers and Suns are slightly overhyped, in my opinion. Jazz and Blazers have been much better than I anticipated, which definitely muddles things. It's going to be fun to watch it unfold!

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Denver and Dallas too. I say in the 3-6 range. A few years ago I thought Denver was going to be one of the dominant teams in the West. Maybe they get there this year.

Luka is probably talking to a ref on the phone right now. That guy has clearly broken down lots of Kobe film. Damn that guy's annoying. Brilliant, and fat, but more annoying than watching Giannis consider shooting a free throw.

And I love seeing Lil' Sabonis do well. The problem is its supposed to be here where he was born.

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Pretty cool to see Lil' Manute come good. Thought it wouldn't happen after he slid so far in the draft and bounced around a bit. His dad was a cultural legend of nearly Sabonisian impact. That family has come a long way from goat farming.

Also really happy to see Zion holding up. I'm sure MCG would prefer I say nothing. I really hope he can put injuries behind him. What a unique talent, and ass.

MrCrowesGarden
'Burb Boy

Post by MrCrowesGarden »

December 8 22, 12:38 pm
Pretty cool to see Lil' Manute come good. Thought it wouldn't happen after he slid so far in the draft and bounced around a bit. His dad was a cultural legend of nearly Sabonisian impact. That family has come a long way from goat farming.

Also really happy to see Zion holding up. I'm sure MCG would prefer I say nothing. I really hope he can put injuries behind him. What a unique talent, and ass.
First place Pels, baby! And yeah, Zion has really hit another gear the last week or so. When he's not getting the TOO STRONG treatment like Shaq, he's virtually unstoppable.

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

MrCrowesGarden wrote:
December 8 22, 1:46 pm
December 8 22, 12:38 pm

First place Pels, baby! And yeah, Zion has really hit another gear the last week or so. When he's not getting the TOO STRONG treatment like Shaq, he's virtually unstoppable.
That too strong piece is a little frustrating. The Blazers played him pretty cynically. But the problem is even when they weren’t fouling him on purpose they were unable to not foul him.