ChatGPT

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Re: ChatGPT

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

I might like to ask this thing to write an essay about something in the style of @pinacle .

But anything serious? F*ck that.

Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

You Can Have the Blue Pill or the Red Pill, and We’re Out of Blue Pills

Non-paywalled link.
Imagine that as you are boarding an airplane, half the engineers who built the plane tell you there is a 10 percent chance the plane will crash, killing you and everyone else onboard. Would you still board?

In 2022, over 700 top academics and researchers behind the leading artificial intelligence companies were asked in a survey about future A.I. risk. Half of those surveyed stated that there was a 10 percent or greater chance of human extinction (or similarly permanent and severe disempowerment) from future AI systems. Technology companies building today’s large language models are caught in a race to put all of humanity on that plane.

Drug companies cannot sell people new medicines without first subjecting their products to rigorous safety checks. Biotech labs cannot release new viruses into the public sphere in order to impress shareholders with their wizardry. Likewise, A.I. systems with the power of GPT-4 and beyond should not be entangled with the lives of billions at a pace faster than cultures can safely absorb them. A race to dominate the market should not set the speed of deploying humanity’s most consequential technology. We should move at whatever speed enables us to get this right.

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

It's hard to know what's a good bleeding scare headline and what's actually something to be freaked out about in today's info world. It will be interesting to watch this play out.

I still haven't been runovsr by a driverless vehicle. But these robots will absolutely be doing my job within, I'd think, a few years. Hopefully there's something else for me to do at that time.

The extinction level event stuff still doesn't get me going so far, but I'll maintain a freak out option. I think I'd be more scared if there was more focus on things that will screw me, which seem inevitable, and not things that will murder every human, which seems unlikely. Besides, the idea of everyone dying at once feels oddly peaceful to me--am I a monster?

I listened to Ezra Klein interview someone comparing this to the production of the atom bomb, and that was an interesting parallel. The race is on and there's no stopping it.

mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Post by mikechamp »

BottenFieldofDreams wrote:
March 24 23, 11:49 am
I still haven't been runover by a driverless vehicle. But these robots will absolutely be doing my job within, I'd think, a few years. Hopefully there's something else for me to do at that time.
If ChatGPT and AI leads to universal basic income and then that eventually leads to a moneyless society, how would we characterize that chain of events?

Ironic? Coincidental? Inevitable? It feels like there is a term for that, but it is escaping me.

Maybe I should ask ChatGPT.

AdmiralKird
MBA, CPA, CFA, CFP, JD, PE, MD

Post by AdmiralKird »

mikechamp wrote:
March 24 23, 3:41 pm
Maybe I should ask ChatGPT.
The chain of events you described could be characterized as "historical determinism," which is the belief that historical events are predetermined by a set of conditions and forces beyond human control.

In this case, the development of ChatGPT and AI technology could lead to the implementation of universal basic income, which could eventually lead to a moneyless society. This chain of events could be seen as an inevitable result of the technological advances and economic conditions of the time, rather than the result of intentional human action or coincidence.

However, it's important to note that historical determinism is a controversial concept, and many scholars argue that historical events are the result of a complex interplay between various factors, including human agency, contingency, and chance.

mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Post by mikechamp »

I feel like I just got a non-answer from a philosophy professor.

(No offense to any philosophy professors out there.)

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

I think the likely result in the US is that people will insist for way too long that jobs are still around if you want to work and we will in fact not get universal basic income or expanded safety nets until things turn really bad and they realize there's no other option.

Re: AI and jobs generally, I think people's fears are often a bit misplaced in the mainstream conversation. Driving is one of the few specific jobs that's well-covered, but there's now a lot of understandable panic with respect to artists. However the focus is on high-profile art - musicians who make albums, fine artists, filmmakers, novelists, etc... I don't think that ever happens at a large scale for a variety of reasons. For one, asking for the exact novel you want and then reading it is never going to be satisfying. What I'm worried about is the artist who does illustrations for articles on news sites, the person who makes background music for videos, or someone who writes blurbs about products. Small-scale creative stuff that thousands of people do for modest livings.

I've just now started using GPT and I actually do like it. Using it to study for a certification I need and it's turned out to be a good way to learn about a specific topic. Actually easier than trying to track down a credible website with the same information. Helps that in this case I know what I need to know and I know enough to recognize if it was inaccurate.

a_smith
Perennial All-Star

Post by a_smith »

mikechamp wrote:
March 27 23, 10:33 am
I feel like I just got a non-answer from a philosophy professor.

(No offense to any philosophy professors out there.)
None taken.

a_smith
Perennial All-Star

Post by a_smith »

Though that word salad is why one should study philosophy in order to have critical thinking and writing skills.

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »