Happy Anniversary To My Parents

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Re: Happy Anniversary To My Parents

Post by Radbird »

docellis wrote:My parents have been together since they were 17. They separated when I was 14 or 15. But have been back together since I was 18.

They are really in love and it makes me sort of optimistic.
My parents divorced when I was 7. Remarried when I was 10. Divorced when I was 14. Got back together for a year but never remarried when I was 16. Dad left for good when I was 17 and married my step-mother when I was 19 to finally end the cycle (whew - that's a lot of "when I was XX" statements).

Today they see each other about once a week and in their mid-80s can't remember why they couldn't make it work, so they get along quite well (the step-mother refuses to have anything to do with us these days).

Perhaps surprisingly, of the 3 children spawned by their relationship, all of us are on our first marriages, and I have been married the shortest amount of time (we celebrated 27 years in November).

At any rate, a hearty congratulations to your folks, sigh, and to everyone who has "made it work".

sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Post by sighyoung »

Well, they made it to 57 years today. I called them up, and neither of them had remembered. :D

I made it to 17 years today, too.

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Post by GeddyWrox »

Wow, that's awesome!

Swatcat27
All-Star

Post by Swatcat27 »

Congrats to Sigh's folks and the rest of you hitting milestones. My folks just celebrated their 44th last week.

jim
Red Lobster for the seafood lover in you

Post by jim »

Congrats, that is really something. In fact, reflecting on 24+ years of my own marriage, it's down right hard to believe. Unfathomable.

My p's are undefeated champs at the wedding game where the married couples dance and get removed from the floor by years of marriage .. 57 years in April.

Radbird

Post by Radbird »

Radbird wrote:Today they see each other about once a week and in their mid-80s can't remember why they couldn't make it work, so they get along quite well.
This was depressing to read as it reminds me how much has changed in the last year. My dad is in the Alzheimers ward of the Missouri Veterans Home in Cape Girardeau and my mom is struggling mightily at home. My sister from San Antonio and I are going to come in next month to sit down with my 2 in-town sisters to try and figure out what the best next step is for Mom. We called her around 3 on Christmas Day and by the time my sister stopped by at 5 she had no recollection of our call.

sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Post by sighyoung »

Today would have been my parents' 61st wedding anniversary, although sadly, my father died in 2010. Still, my mother's doing well, and when I reminded her of her anniversary, she paused for a minute and said, "He was a very good man, and always treated me well."

Oh, and it's my 21st wedding anniversary today, too. Still hanging in there with Ms. Sigh, which is nice. I remember meeting my brother in Chicago, and when I left the room, my wife overheard my brother telling a friend about me, "I don't know how he managed to marry somebody as wonderful as HER." A professor in grad school found out my wife and I were dating, and told me, "That's the smartest thing you've ever done." Another said, "I think the world of her."

So here's to one good decision in fifty years, anyway, and to a really wonderful woman.

Radbird

Post by Radbird »

Congrats, sigh. My dad also passed in 2010 and Mom turns 90 in Feb.

My family feels similarly about my "smartest" decision (we hit 32 yrs in Nov).

Hope you and the Ms. had a nice celebration.

lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Post by lukethedrifter »

Good to hear that Mom is doing well, sigh. Do I remember correctly that you moved her to Louisville to be near you?

StL Dan
banned

Post by StL Dan »

This thread is awesome. My parents celebrated 55 years yesterday.