movies

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Re: movies

Post by heyzeus »

Popeye_Card wrote:
September 27 22, 10:58 am
Licorice Pizza was just kinda odd. In normal PTA fashion the dialogue and all were there. But the plot was just boring, and honestly a bit creepy if he was supposed to be 15 and she 21 or whatever.
15 and 25, in fact!

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

heyzeus wrote:
September 29 22, 7:53 am
Popeye_Card wrote:
Licorice Pizza was just kinda odd. In normal PTA fashion the dialogue and all were there. But the plot was just boring, and honestly a bit creepy if he was supposed to be 15 and she 21 or whatever.
15 and 25, in fact!
That’s right. That’s why it felt extra creepy.

I also had a tough time with a 15 year old starting all these businesses and such. If they would have just made him 18 instead of 15, I would have found the plot much more believable and less creepy.

G. Keenan
Sucking on the Rally Nipple

Post by G. Keenan »

Popeye_Card wrote:
September 29 22, 8:53 am
heyzeus wrote:
Popeye_Card wrote:
15 and 25, in fact!

I also had a tough time with a 15 year old starting all these businesses and such. If they would have just made him 18 instead of 15, I would have found the plot much more believable and less creepy.
It was the 70s, man. High school kids started businesses all the time back then :wink:

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

Popeye_Card wrote:
September 29 22, 8:53 am
heyzeus wrote:
Popeye_Card wrote:
15 and 25, in fact!

It has that magical realism feel of Rushmore, wherein a precocious teen could exist like as an adult while still in the world of teens and pull off the type of capers you know no teen could actually execute. Like a 15 year old starting all these businesses, or being a well known figure at a local lounge where movie stars hang out. Licorice Pizza does have a certain dreamlike quality, largely because there's no narrative structure and nothing really makes logistical sense. I don't know if that's good or bad, exactly.

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

I'm sure Bros suffered from Jesus not letting people in flyover states go see it, as Eichner is reporting. Hell, Rings of Power is getting flamed for suggesting any mythical creatures existing in fantasy lands might be not white. But I'm just not sure romcoms, or even big Judd Apatow comedies for that matter, are a draw for the theater anymore. I think it's cool that they got this made and a huge advertising budget. I look forward to watching it in my living room. I don't think any romance (unless there's some crazy cinematography or something, and then probably not as well), and very, very few comedies will get me to the theater.

That Clooney/Roberts romcom will be an interesting test case. An especially gay-forward Marvel or Star Wars movie would be a really good one.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Saw Smile in the theaters. Would not recommend. It's basically Fallen, only not as good, and they tried to make it scarier.

vinsanity
Chili dog truther

Post by vinsanity »

Saw a preview for Pearl a few months ago and looked forward to it, so I saw X and I enjoyed it.

Saw Pearl in theaters last night and it's atmospheric fun. There's like a five minute, single shot monologue that I thought was really good.

Recommend both.

IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Post by IMADreamer »

We saw Amsterdam. It was good, we enjoyed it.

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

I finally sat down and watched John Q and I was kind of blown away by it. The fact a movie this critical of America was released in 2002, during peak 9/11 patriotism fervor, is surprising. It's not a perfect movie but there is A LOT going on in this movie. Very thought provoking.

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

Terrible news for those of you waiting for Angry Old Guy Revenge 27. Liam Neeson will be too busy rebooting Naked Gun with Akiva from Lonely Island and Seth McFarlane.

I've had this strong and probably a little unfair distaste for McFarlane ever since Family Guy season 4 or 5 when it became wildly, insultingly lazy. But I do like Akiva. However, I don't see a need for a reboot. Maybe if Leslie was still alive to tie it together. I'd rather someone just make a good slapstick stupid spoof movie.