Let's Talk about sweet cars

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Re: Let's Talk about sweet cars

Post by Popeye_Card »

thrill wrote:
October 11 22, 8:27 am
The F Type is absolutely the best looking attainable elite car. It's not even close. The car just looks incredible from every angle and separates it from every other entry in it's price range. Could you get a corvette with a ton more HP and higher top speed? Yeah, but if you're not doing track days and you don't want to burn through your tires at an alarmingly expensive rate, the F type is absolutely the way to go. Class, elegance, and enough performance to satisfy the most speed loving normal driver. The first time I saw one in the wild was a convertible and just based on the elegance, I thought it was an Aston. The back end of the convertible most especially is a work of elegant automotive art. Not surprising based on the legacy of the model, it's been a stand-out visually forever and ever, but man did they nail it with the latest iteration.
The rarity of them factors in too. Corvettes are everywhere. Maybe not the C8's yet, but they are getting there. You see Porsches all the time, especially Boxters and Caymans. Performance-wise, all of these cars are in the same vicinity with each having their pros/cons. You don't see the F-Type very often on the street. We get a lot of "whoa, what is THAT?" reactions.

I've watched more videos than I want to admit reviewing the F-Type vs. a 911. Pretty much everyone comes to the same conclusion - the Porsche is the better car all-around, but the Jag is more fun. I've always been a Porsche guy, and always wanted to get a 911 eventually. Now unless I come across some crazy deal or have enough money laying around that I can afford a vintage 911 or 356, I'm not even sure that I care to upgrade.

IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Post by IMADreamer »

Popeye_Card wrote:
October 11 22, 9:33 am
thrill wrote:
October 11 22, 8:27 am
The F Type is absolutely the best looking attainable elite car. It's not even close. The car just looks incredible from every angle and separates it from every other entry in it's price range. Could you get a corvette with a ton more HP and higher top speed? Yeah, but if you're not doing track days and you don't want to burn through your tires at an alarmingly expensive rate, the F type is absolutely the way to go. Class, elegance, and enough performance to satisfy the most speed loving normal driver. The first time I saw one in the wild was a convertible and just based on the elegance, I thought it was an Aston. The back end of the convertible most especially is a work of elegant automotive art. Not surprising based on the legacy of the model, it's been a stand-out visually forever and ever, but man did they nail it with the latest iteration.
The rarity of them factors in too. Corvettes are everywhere. Maybe not the C8's yet, but they are getting there. You see Porsches all the time, especially Boxters and Caymans. Performance-wise, all of these cars are in the same vicinity with each having their pros/cons. You don't see the F-Type very often on the street. We get a lot of "whoa, what is THAT?" reactions.

I've watched more videos than I want to admit reviewing the F-Type vs. a 911. Pretty much everyone comes to the same conclusion - the Porsche is the better car all-around, but the Jag is more fun. I've always been a Porsche guy, and always wanted to get a 911 eventually. Now unless I come across some crazy deal or have enough money laying around that I can afford a vintage 911 or 356, I'm not even sure that I care to upgrade.
You are definitely right about that. I have only seen a few F-Types in my life, but 911s, Caymans, Vettes, etc are everywhere. I swear some local dealer must have gotten a big allocation of C8s recently because there are 4 or 5 in my town now so even they aren't really a rare treat to see any more.

Another contender for me would be the new Supra. I think I've only seen two in person and they are certainly performers. No way they sound as good as the Jag though.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

Parked next to a charcoal gray F-type coupe in the office parking lot today.

(Al Pacino in Heat voice) That car's GOT A GREAT ASSSS AND POPEYE'S GOT HIS NOSE ALL THE WAY UP IT

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

THRILL U LIKE???

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

IMADreamer

Post by IMADreamer »

This whole pandemic car market has me down. I haven't been able to do my buying and selling for a while now. I'd really like to find another super sedan of sorts but the market is bonkers. I've been eyeing a Toyota GR86 as well as a potential fun purchase but they aren't making them fast enough. I even put a deposit at a dealer but they informed me yesterday they were pretty sure they won't get the color and options I want for many months yet. They do have a Supra on the lot which is mighty sexy but it's a bit more than I want to fork out right now.

IMADreamer

Post by IMADreamer »

Got a new to me truck today. Ok, I bought it off my Dad, but he's officially retiring (I'll believe it when I see it). I can finally retire my 01 Silverado 1500 as my farm truck.

IMADreamer

Post by IMADreamer »

I'm going to look at a used Lexus RC-F Saturday. I hate to admit it but with my health troubles my Viper is getting a bit much for me to handle. This has to be the most first world of first world problems.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

I have an insanely dumb question about cars, but I'll ask anyway because this is a safe space:

So, i've discovered recently that I'm obsessed with old trucks and want to get one. Aside from the nostalgic aspect, it would also serve a purpose because i've also realized that i don't have the trunk space in my jeep grand cherokee for hauling and transporting stuff.

Facebook marketplace is full of options at a nice pricepoint, however most of listing are about 180K+ miles (naturally).

So my question is: what's wrong with buying something at it's price point or lower (i suspect they can be negotiated down a grand or so), and just spending some coin on rebuilding the engine/transmisson?

i.e. i see listings for broncos all the time since they are now the en vogue thing, and i'd love to pull a trigger on something but the mileage is extremely high.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

You used to be able to find vintage International trucks/4x4's for under $10k, but even those are up in price these days. International Harvesters are similar look/vibe to vintage Broncos and are still much cheaper, but definitely more than they were going for as recently as 5 years ago.