TV Thread - beware, [expletive] can get spoilery

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
vinsanity
Chili dog truther

Re: TV Thread - beware, [expletive] can get spoilery

Post by vinsanity »

ghostrunner wrote:
October 3 22, 6:52 pm
vinsanity wrote:
October 3 22, 1:28 pm
ghostrunner wrote:
October 3 22, 8:39 am
What's bugging me about Rings of Power is keeping so many things a mystery for no apparent reason
Kind of like Severance?

I agree if anyone reads this and can, they should watch it but I was less enthralled than others but have hope it will pay off.

This is a good contrast imo because I think the difference there is that the characters don’t know and the outside world in the show knows even less than we do. A lot of the drama is based on what’s being kept from them. It’s a mystery because it’s a mystery to the characters.

Adar knew who he was. Halbrand knows who he is. Isuldur’s family knows what Anarion is doing, what happened to their mother, etc. Why don’t we? It’s silly. Meteor man I’m fine with because he’s learning about himself as we do.
I haven't watched Rings of Power because I've never even gotten through the movies (oops).

I follow what you're saying.

I just hate twists for twist's sake.

I'm looking at you Westworld.

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

vinsanity wrote:
October 4 22, 3:01 am
ghostrunner wrote:
October 3 22, 6:52 pm
vinsanity wrote:
October 3 22, 1:28 pm
ghostrunner wrote:
October 3 22, 8:39 am
What's bugging me about Rings of Power is keeping so many things a mystery for no apparent reason
Kind of like Severance?

I agree if anyone reads this and can, they should watch it but I was less enthralled than others but have hope it will pay off.

This is a good contrast imo because I think the difference there is that the characters don’t know and the outside world in the show knows even less than we do. A lot of the drama is based on what’s being kept from them. It’s a mystery because it’s a mystery to the characters.

Adar knew who he was. Halbrand knows who he is. Isuldur’s family knows what Anarion is doing, what happened to their mother, etc. Why don’t we? It’s silly. Meteor man I’m fine with because he’s learning about himself as we do.
I haven't watched Rings of Power because I've never even gotten through the movies (oops).

I follow what you're saying.

I just hate twists for twist's sake.

I'm looking at you Westworld.
Yeah, ROP isn't really twists it's just information the characters just don't talk about for whatever reason and it's frustrating. A bit similar to Westworld season 1 in that way, though it's being doled out gradually instead of the end of the season. Maybe. There's a lot unknown with only 2 episodes left.

It's ok not to know things, but when the characters do and they just don't talk about it I think that makes it frustrating and silly.

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Re: TV Thread

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

thrill wrote:
August 14 09, 9:17 am
I'm psyched for Community. Joel McHale is delightful. Apparently you can watch the first episode online if you are a friend to the show on the facebooks. Since I don't have the facebooks, I can't watch it }:>(
I remembered this was on the first page.

Anyway, 13 years ago, the movie is finally happening. Also, Facebook is destroying democracy.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

While I am cringing about "the facebooks" I am happy to report that Community was good and I enjoyed it immensely.

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

thrill wrote:
September 11 22, 8:02 am
Hey ghost, Gandalf is appearing earlier than in the books, no? The harfoots bring his first friend is cute tho.
...well. I loved the turn in the finale. Great season of TV, IMO. I'm not sure how it played for the Tolkien-heads (of which I've always aspired to be), they really dug into the most critical characters of the whole lore. That's curious to me, because when it was announced it sounded like they didn't have rights to much of anything.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

I loved it too. Lots of good friendships and moral clarity. The LOTR guarantee.

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

New Saved by the Bell is great, and also very much a guilty pleasure for me. It's 2022, and I'm well into lame dadhood: maybe I'll never be able to own anything.

I loved the episode with the nods to Showgirls. Awesome. Also, it's interesting how Mario Lopez has the best chops of the original crew. MPG got all the play. Shame Lopez didn't get more chances to do good comedy.

Leroy
a bad penny always turns up
Location: Hanging out with my redneck, white socks and Blue Ribbon beer.

Post by Leroy »

I just found a channel with two hours of Night Court this morning. JACKPOT!

mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Post by mikechamp »

Leroy wrote:
November 4 22, 9:32 am
I just found a channel with two hours of Night Court this morning. JACKPOT!
I call Bull...

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

Andor is just ridiculously good. Star Wars stuff completely aside, it’s just a damn good show. Slow burn but it pays off.