Dogs

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Re: Dogs

Post by Radbird »

My condolences to both of you. It’s not an easy process, one that we went through twice in 3 months with our pooches. When the time came, we used an in-home euthanasia service. We felt being in the comfort of our home reduced their anxiety. We were able to hold and comfort them surrounded by familiar things. Our first pet was a cat that we took to the vet - they had us say our goodbyes in the exam room, then took him away with a look of (what we perceived to be) terror on his face. That prompted us to look for alternatives.

If it’s something you want to consider, here’s a link to the service we used. Perhaps you can find something similar in your area.

https://hometoheaven.net/

In the meantime, hold them tight.

Transmogrified Tiger
Puppy Murderer

Post by Transmogrified Tiger »

Really sorry to hear both of those stories. We went through this with our 12 year old dog in the spring, and the one thing I can share is that the very end is going to happen faster than you think. We found out our dog(who had no shortage of health issues throughout her life but wasn't incapacitated) had untreatable masses/tumors on a Tuesday, made an appointment to say goodbye to her for that Saturday, and she didn't make it to Friday morning. If there's something that's really important for you to do with or for your pup, make sure to prioritize it as soon as you can so you don't have regrets if the timing ends up more compressed than you anticipated.

Fat_Bulldog
likes to grate his own cheese

Post by Fat_Bulldog »

Sorry to hear.

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

I'm so sorry to hear that you are near the end, heyzeus and AD. We lost both of our pups of 16+ years within a few months in 2019/2020 (my wife's dog and my dog, both from before we met). In one case it was more clear - she had a brain tumor that developed quickly, and it was only a matter of weeks. The other case wasn't as clear-cut. Her body was just failing her in her old age to the point where she just sat in a daze, not really eating or drinking and unable to control her...uh...waste disposals. We finally just had to make a judgement call at the point where we felt we were only selfishly hanging on for us, and not her. One of the toughest days of my life.

We miss them every single day, and I know you will too. Even though we now have three new dogs that have filled the void in our house, we'll always have the voids in our hearts.

I second Rad's suggestion for in-home euthanasia. We thankfully have a close friendship with our vet, and she volunteered to come over to our house when it was time. It was nice to be with them to the very end.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

Today is the day that I have to say goodbye to my sweet beagle girl. Believe me when I say these words: I am wrecked. We got Duncan exactly 3 months after we were married, so she has been with us for every phase of making our family pretty much since the honeymoon. We brought one baby home (and a world series championship!) and she was patient and gentle with him, then another - and the second one really, really loved to "pet" the dog as a toddler. Which mostly consisted of pulling on any piece of beagle that was reachable. Again, Duncan took it with gentle acceptance, and curled up next to them for naps.

It's time. She's declining day by day due to either a brain tumor or some other unseen progressive neurological impediment. Her motor function is gone, she paces aimlessly through the house like a zombie, she has accidents that she never would have had, she shakes, she tumbles over, she wanders into corners and gets stuck there, she can't sit down and relax (and trust me, relaxation is her top skill). Tomorrow would be worse than today in ways we can't even anticipate, because today is worse than yesterday and the day before. The last act of love we will show her is the hardest one, but the only compassionate one.

Like @Popeye_Card suggested, a vet will come to our home to help end her pain. She'll only know comfort and love. I will continue being wrecked, then have to unwreck myself and get the kids from school and get wrecked harder a second time, all together. This is the bargain we make when we get pets though. We all know what's coming some day, but you always hope it's not today. Until it is.

Thanks for reading this far, if you have. Y'all are important to me.

Popeye_Card
GRB's most intelligent & humble poster

Post by Popeye_Card »

I’m so sorry to hear. This is one of the hardest, most heartbreaking decisions you’ll ever have to make. But in the end while you won’t have her, you’ll have the memories.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

damn. very sorry for you and your family. will be thinking of y'all.

Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

@heyzeus sorry to hear. I know it's not easy. All the best to you and yours.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Sorry to hear, zeus.

Your little beagle buddy was lucky to have such a great family. A life well lived, while tough at the end, is always something to be celebrated and remembered fondly as I'm sure you will.

Hang in there bud.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

Thanks guys. I'm going to make it, but after I run the numbers I'm pretty sure today will be in the top 30 all time worst days of my life.