Outer Space Thread

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Re: Outer Space Thread

Post by thrill »

I am now instituting a strict faraday bag for all visitor cell phones. Dave Chappelle is really onto something. You can't be having people just filming your private performances.

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

Artemis I launches on August 29th. First of a series of moon missions, this one is an unmanned flyby of the moon. Artemis 2 is a manned flyby, and Artemis 3 is a manned landing currently planned for 2025. Escalates from there, and all of this is assuming funding and support stays firm.

Launch will be streamed here:

mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Post by mikechamp »

If there are any disruptions to the power grid or communication mediums in the next day or two, now you know why:
A strong geomagnetic storm is heading toward Earth, space forecasters say

A strong geomagnetic storm caused by the sun could impact Earth later this week, space weather forecasters say.

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s Space Weather Prediction Center on Wednesday issued a geomagnetic storm watch following recent explosions on the sun that have triggered strong solar flares and multiple “coronal mass ejections” that could reach the planet on Thursday.

NOAA defines a geomagnetic storm as “a major disturbance of Earth's magnetosphere that occurs when there is a very efficient exchange of energy from the solar wind into the space environment surrounding Earth.”

The geomagnetic storm’s arrival also means that the northern lights could be visible as far south as Iowa on Thursday. According to the official space forecast, the auroras “might be seen over the far Northeast, to the far upper Midwest, across portions of the north-central states, and perhaps over the northwest section of Washington state.”

https://www.yahoo.com/news/geomagnetic- ... 51272.html

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

I keep hoping I'll get to see auroras in Indiana one day so I don't have to travel for it

SunnyJim
Veteran Player

Post by SunnyJim »

It all gets back to Elvis!

AdmiralKird
MBA, CPA, CFA, CFP, JD, PE, MD

Post by AdmiralKird »

I guess this was nothing?

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

Launch was scrubbed due to an issue with one of the engines. Next launch date is Friday, assuming this issue can be resolved by then. A couple backup dates planned after that.
ghostrunner wrote:
August 15 22, 9:34 am
Artemis I launches on August 29th. First of a series of moon missions, this one is an unmanned flyby of the moon. Artemis 2 is a manned flyby, and Artemis 3 is a manned landing currently planned for 2025. Escalates from there, and all of this is assuming funding and support stays firm.

Launch will be streamed here:
[SHOW]

mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Post by mikechamp »

Not only can we blame the sun for lost flyballs, but now computer glitches too!
The computer errors from outer space

The Earth is subjected to a hail of subatomic particles from the Sun and beyond our solar system which could be the cause of glitches that afflict our phones and computers. And the risk is growing as microchip technology shrinks.

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/2022 ... ter-errors

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

Not outer space necessarily, but quantum entanglement and faster than light communication, or the lack thereof, if fascinating.

Quantum entanglement by itself is mind blowing.

Seems like there should be a way to use it to communicate FTL. Id never really thought about this before but when relativity is put in terms of causality instead of speed of light, it takes on a very disturbing notion especially if, for arguments sake, quantum entanglement (or anything else) can’t be untangled and used for faster than causality communication regardless of how advanced a civilization becomes.

Knowing the fabric of the universe can communicate or be influenced at a speed faster than the speed of light but can’t be manipulated such that it can be used to send messages ftl is such a weird … coincidence.

Any notion that the fundamental building blocks of the universe would behave so as not to violate causality just seems like a very bad basis of a scientific theory. Like uranium doesn’t care about the effects of radiation emitted due to its existence, neither should particles care about the effects of ftl communication coming from entanglement and/or it’s ability to violate causality.

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

I’m probably the only one up and on here. Artemis is finally about to launch after a short delay. Just started the countdown. 8 minutes and change.