Music talk Thread

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
Fat_Bulldog
likes to grate his own cheese

Re: Music talk Thread

Post by Fat_Bulldog »

Loud and bawdy! Ttttease me!

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

Great episode on the Dixie Chicks on 60 Songs that Define the 90s this week. Rob’s anger about how country music has subjugated women since their explosive late 90s era is palpable. His guest is Amanda Shires and he never mentions her husband, which is rad—if only I could do the same?

Now that all those c words that stomped their Dixie Chicks CDs hate the Bushes in the name of Trump, can’t The Chicks return?

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

I was pissed when Mark and Travis replaced Tom and still called themselves Blink 182. But I'm happy they're back together. The new song is perfect. And, as we all expected he would, in the interim Tom succeeded--seriously, he succeeded--in proving UFOs exist.

But now I need someone to point me to a thinkpiece, a catchup for those of us that haven't been paying attention, on punk rock in the modern age. Punk, and specifically the dick measuring contests around it, has always been ridiculous and fascinating to me. The sanctimony of how to properly not know how to play your instrument. Blink 182 isn't punk now because they're 50--a 60 year old in a Misfits vest riding a BMX told me. Originally they weren't punk because their music didn't sound like [expletive] (I do know I'm being glib there). But now that production quality is easy, as is learning an instrument if you want to, where do punk rock kids draw their lines in the sand?

I'll also say that it's time for Tom to start appearing on lists of greatest guitarists ever, the way Kurt Cobain does. While neither are your SRVs, EVHs, or Princes--their influence is gigantic.

IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Post by IMADreamer »

BottenFieldofDreams wrote:
November 10 22, 10:35 am
I was pissed when Mark and Travis replaced Tom and still called themselves Blink 182. But I'm happy they're back together. The new song is perfect. And, as we all expected he would, in the interim Tom succeeded--seriously, he succeeded--in proving UFOs exist.

But now I need someone to point me to a thinkpiece, a catchup for those of us that haven't been paying attention, on punk rock in the modern age. Punk, and specifically the dick measuring contests around it, has always been ridiculous and fascinating to me. The sanctimony of how to properly not know how to play your instrument. Blink 182 isn't punk now because they're 50--a 60 year old in a Misfits vest riding a BMX told me. Originally they weren't punk because their music didn't sound like [expletive] (I do know I'm being glib there). But now that production quality is easy, as is learning an instrument if you want to, where do punk rock kids draw their lines in the sand?

I'll also say that it's time for Tom to start appearing on lists of greatest guitarists ever, the way Kurt Cobain does. While neither are your SRVs, EVHs, or Princes--their influence is gigantic.
I really never took Blink 182 seriously but if you say DeLong is one of best guitarists ever maybe I better go back and listen. Also I heard he was back with the band again? His UFO stuff is really interesting but I'm not sure he's proven they exists any more than anyone else has. I don't know that we really have disclosure yet.

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

I belive his firm was the one to get and reveal video of those weird oblong things the fighter pilots were freaking out about and the military admitted were UFOS (though notably not necessarily alien).

I only think he's a greatest guitarist where the rubrik favors influence, like Cobain. He's a fine guitarist, some of those bass/guitar melodies 182 had were great.

Fat_Bulldog
likes to grate his own cheese

Post by Fat_Bulldog »

Blink 182 is awful.

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

Devo quietly released a live album on Spotify in October. It's great. It sounds like a radio broadcast of about a 70 minute concert. A lot of their studio work was very highly produced and almost robotic sounding. The live versions of these songs really let their punk roots show through. I prefer the live versions of most of these songs to be honest.

https://open.spotify.com/album/7211DHid ... q393PV28hA

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

Parsley, sage, rosemary and CRIME.

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer