Music talk Thread

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Re: Music talk Thread

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

Earlier this summer I was looking for a song by Wilco on Spotify, and stumbled across this. It was my summer jam. Kind of a delightful mess of a song. Dude died last week, I just heard.

Donnie Ebert
Perennial All-Star

Post by Donnie Ebert »

BottenFieldofDreams wrote:
September 12 22, 11:23 am
Feel free to recoil at "Dave Matthews Band," but skip this unbelievable guitar solo at the risk of missing a view of eternity.

Derek Trucks truly transcends the instrument.
His guitar playing...

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

completely random, but is Hall & Oates underrated, overrated or rated correctly?

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

go birds wrote:
October 27 22, 9:20 am
completely random, but is Hall & Oates underrated, overrated or rated correctly?
I'll say accurately. My impulse is overrated, because I feel like they shouldn't be as broadly known as they are. But then I remember that they feature in every montage ever with You Make My Dreams. Honestly its usage, I believe, isn't even based on any intrinsic value of the song, but rather that it's a very familiar queue for audiences. Say they played I Wanna Be Rich while teen girls tried on outfits for each other--it would feel wrong because it wasn't You Make My Dreams. You Make My Dreams is the song you play when trying on outfits or doing odd jobs to buy a prom dress in compressed time.

And really, with Maneater, I can name two Hall and Oates songs. A group as pervasively known should have more familiar tunes.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

October 27 22, 9:31 am
go birds wrote:
October 27 22, 9:20 am
I'll say accurately. My impulse is overrated, because I feel like they shouldn't be as broadly known as they are. But then I remember that they feature in every montage ever with You Make My Dreams. Honestly its usage, I believe, isn't even based on any intrinsic value of the song, but rather that it's a very familiar queue for audiences. Say they played I Wanna Be Rich while teen girls tried on outfits for each other--it would feel wrong because it wasn't You Make My Dreams. You Make My Dreams is the song you play when trying on outfits or doing odd jobs to buy a prom dress in compressed time.

And really, with Maneater, I can name two Hall and Oates songs. A group as pervasively known should have more familiar tunes.
yea i think they get overrated because of their "walkin on sunshine" hits that are heavily featured in soundtracks, but they've got a pretty deep catalogue which is why i wonder if they are actually underrated.

i never really gave them their due until i dove into their catalogue.

one thing is indisputable--those voices are so silky and sultry

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

To be honest I've never dug into their music. From my perspective, the only two songs I know are Maneater and You Make My Dreams, which I feel pretty comfortable calling kitschy. Also it's the 80s and I'm allergic to the ishty sounding drums, synths and the "can we carve any more of the low end out of EVERYTHING? No? Can the mids pierce more piercingly? No? Ok, press it" production mindset. Everything is so tinny.

That's not fair to H&O. And my attitude toward the era, I learn often enough, is cheating me out of some really great songs--even if they all need to be remastered.

Anyway, I'm being an ahole. I have feelings about 80s music. But I do understand that I'm being an ahole.

Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

Hey @BottenFieldofDreams - as someone who's adolescence was during the H&O era, I can tell you when I think H&O, I don't think of 'Maneater' and 'You Make My Dreams'. I think of 'She's Gone' and 'Sara Smile'. Those 80's hits were a decade into their partnership. Checkout their early output for more soul / R&B inflected stuff.

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

I listened to Abandoned Luncheonette end to end. It's great. Weird and theatrical at times, which I'm actually into. Some really cool instrumentation.

This stuff can definitely play with my Croce, James Taylor, Harry Chapin, and so on playlists. Thanks for the tip, gb and JS. Big yes to 70s Hall and Oates.

Now, to get back to this 80s rant I've been on for the life of my presence here at GRB: who is the 80s producer that listens to 70s H&O and says, "those drums--what can we do to carve out most of the dynamics and all of the soul? To get a light tinny sound like a $15 casio keyboard? I want a dog on the other side of the world to kill itself, the drums are so piercing."

Joe Shlabotnik
Hall Of Famer

Post by Joe Shlabotnik »

October 27 22, 1:39 pm
I listened to Abandoned Luncheonette end to end. It's great. Weird and theatrical at times, which I'm actually into. Some really cool instrumentation.

This stuff can definitely play with my Croce, James Taylor, Harry Chapin, and so on playlists. Thanks for the tip, gb and JS. Big yes to 70s Hall and Oates.

Now, to get back to this 80s rant I've been on for the life of my presence here at GRB: who is the 80s producer that listens to 70s H&O and says, "those drums--what can we do to carve out most of the dynamics and all of the soul? To get a light tinny sound like a $15 casio keyboard? I want a dog on the other side of the world to kill itself, the drums are so piercing."
All of the producers making boucoup bucks spitting out disco and hair metal. There was a reason there was Disco Demolition Night in Chicago!

Richie Allen
Perennial All-Star

Post by Richie Allen »

My brother is playing at Daryl's House in a couple weeks. https://www.ticketweb.com/event/nrbq-d ... jyOkKAh8

I don't think I know anyone with strong feelings about Hall and Oates, either way, so I'm not sure what their legacy is.