Serial Podcast

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
docellis
America's Most Beloved Twitter Joke Thief

Re: Serial Podcast

Post by docellis »

only on ep 9. Still wondering why not more emphasis on who Jay is.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

docellis wrote:only on ep 9. Still wondering why not more emphasis on who Jay is.

I do t want to give anything away. You'll learn more, but not the thing that you probably really want to know.

MrSaigon

Post by MrSaigon »

Ends with a fizzle. I'm not convinced of his innocence but don't believe he should be in jail.

Also the innocence project lady's finger point, unless just as a means of doubt, doesn't hold much water for me, as there wasn't any sexual assault.

I liked the show as an exercise, and could have been satisfied with the ending, except that the ending made the pacing all wrong. I'd still recommend the show though, strongly for reasons I mentioned above.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

Didn't listen to the podcast but saw this come across my fb newsfeed so some of yall might be interested in it.......spoilers maybe???

EXCLUSIVE: JAY, KEY WITNESS FROM ‘SERIAL’ TELLS HIS STORY FOR FIRST TIME, PART 1

MrSaigon

Post by MrSaigon »

go birds wrote:Didn't listen to the podcast but saw this come across my fb newsfeed so some of yall might be interested in it.......spoilers maybe???

EXCLUSIVE: JAY, KEY WITNESS FROM ‘SERIAL’ TELLS HIS STORY FOR FIRST TIME, PART 1
Read the first two parts this morning.

Wow.

Critical reading. REALLY shifts/throws into meaningful question (augments?) the whole experience, IMO.

You really get to see the damage that this arguably pointless (Adnan had another appeal set before the show ever aired) did/could/may cause. What was it all for? I think Jay makes great points about entertainment and a good reason to scrape all this up for millions of listeners. I have purposefully avoided reading much coverage/analysis, but this was, as I said, critical.
In what ways has your life changed?

Do you ever read Reddit? Have you read the subReddit about this case and about me?

Yes.

Everything’s changed.

MrSaigon

Post by MrSaigon »

Interesting response from the show's producers to Jay's interview. We see this in sports all the time: 'If you don't want people to think you're an ahole, talk to us in a very public way about this gear-spinning exercise you wish to God wasn't being talked about.'

docellis

Post by docellis »

No idea what the truth is, but it is easier for me to think that Jay did it than Adnan.
1. Jay has a criminal record and some violence in his history (domestic violence, stabbing, drugs, etc)
2. Jay has lied repeatedly
3. Jay knew where Hae's car was

Adnan: Good grades, no criminal record, no history of violence, and, the only evidence that he did it was Jay's testimony.

Here are some interesting websites:

Rubia (the family friend of Adnan's (the lawyer lady who brings the case to Sarah K)
http://www.splitthemoon.com/

Another attorney with no connection to the case - who has dome some exhaustive research regarding Jay's inconsistent testimony and also the cell phone records:
http://viewfromll2.com/

MrSaigon

Post by MrSaigon »

Maybe it was Jay, but I think his fear of the well-being of his family plays plausible as an explanation of his inconsistency. You really see how much that stuff troubles him, and how much he worries in general through his interviews.

I do think the fact that Jay took police straight to the car indicates one and/or the other was at least involved.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

I'm four episodes in. What's clear to me at this point:
-Either Jay or Adnan is a sociopath.

-The guy who found the body is lying about something. Probably not the murder, but he's lying about something. He did the classic liar move of revealing a truth unrelated to what he's really hiding that he thinks the person he's lying to will be distracted by and overlook what he's really hiding. Drinking while driving, taking a leak in the woods etc.

-The victim was an overly dramatic teen stereotype and probably insufferable.

-Adnan is way too chill and is either a total bro moron or playing one to hide the fact that he's a stone cold killer. SK really emphasizes how great a student he was but when he talks, he sounds like an oblivious idiot and if he is the killer, he's a monumental idiot for involving Jay. Basically, in order for Adnan to be the killer, he has to be a very different person than the person he sounds like on the phone and the person that SK portrays.

-True crime is great but true crime with all this high school ass bull [expletive] is harder to get a handle on in terms of having a strong opinion about what happened. This story is truly full of some high school assed bull [expletive]. Dumb bros, emotionally irrational girls, secret resentments and completely unreliable narrators of even the most simple events.

-Having the best lawyer in your trial is the key to not going to jail.

docellis

Post by docellis »

thrill wrote:I'm four episodes in. What's clear to me at this point:
-Either Jay or Adnan is a sociopath.

-The guy who found the body is lying about something. Probably not the murder, but he's lying about something. He did the classic liar move of revealing a truth unrelated to what he's really hiding that he thinks the person he's lying to will be distracted by and overlook what he's really hiding. Drinking while driving, taking a leak in the woods etc.He is also a chronic flasher, which is pretty antisocial. Definitely seems like more to his story.

-The victim was an overly dramatic teen stereotype and probably insufferable.

-Adnan is way too chill and is either a total bro moron or playing one to hide the fact that he's a stone cold killer. SK really emphasizes how great a student he was but when he talks, he sounds like an oblivious idiot and if he is the killer, he's a monumental idiot for involving Jay. Basically, in order for Adnan to be the killer, he has to be a very different person than the person he sounds like on the phone and the person that SK portrays. I don't think he sounds stupid, but yeah, not the gifted student he was supposed to have been. I think he is either very, very, very unlucky or a liar/killer.

-True crime is great but true crime with all this high school ass bull [expletive] is harder to get a handle on in terms of having a strong opinion about what happened. This story is truly full of some high school assed bull [expletive]. Dumb bros, emotionally irrational girls, secret resentments and completely unreliable narrators of even the most simple events.

-Having the best lawyer in your trial is the key to not going to jail.