Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
Molly
Perennial All-Star

Re: Weird and obscure "famous" people you know

Post by Molly »

pioneer98 wrote:Actor and Blues musician Jim Byrnes. I don't know this guy personally. I've only interacted with him briefly on Facebook a couple times. He's an old high school friend of my dad's that he met again through Facebook a couple years ago. Fascinating, fascinating story. He's from St. Louis (obviously). He's won a few JUNO Awards (which I'm told is the Canadian equivalent of a Grammy Award, basically). He's lived in Vancouver, BC for a long time now. He still has a radio show today, and is still making music for that matter. He's played with tons and tons of famous musicians over the years, and was friends with Ray Charles I guess. He also was an actor for a number of years. His biggest role was on Highlander for a number of years.

He's accomplished all of this despite losing both of his legs in a horrible car accident in 1972. Just a fascinating life this guy has had. Read the rest of his bio here:
http://www.jamestbyrnes.com/bio.html
I and several friends watched him perform at a bar called "The Orphanage" on Euclid back in the mid to late 70's.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

can't say i know anyone.

but my oldest bro worked and lived in thousand oaks for a few years and his next door neighbor was rob riggle. he also saw paul rudd pull up in a limo and hang out or something like that. i dont think they said anything other than "hey" though. a little weird since rob is a KU guy and my brother is hardcore mizzou guy (and royals/cardinals too i suppose). neighbors out in cali.

my dad is friends with former AL president gene budig, he'd always help get us tickets at kauffman. dad is also friends with missouri valley conference president doug elgin (he helped us get 2006 world series tickets and always offers to help when he can). also friends with gregg marshall, and gene stevenson when he was still at WSU. well, and my father also got to meet and work with gordon parks towards the end of his life.

oh! i had a math class with mike pelfry his freshman year.

Fat_Bulldog
likes to grate his own cheese

Post by Fat_Bulldog »

One of my brother's best friends worked on the set of "Plains, Trains and Automobiles" when they were filming in St. Louis.

He said John Candy was an absolute delightful, genuine person. He hung out with Candy quite a bit and they partied together.

He said Steve Martin was an absolute prick.

I love that movie. We watched it over the weekend.

pioneer98
Hall Of Famer

Post by pioneer98 »

Haha just remembered this one. My brother works at a Catholic college now. A Brother who was transferred there from Notre Dame claims he's the guy who denied Rudy Ruettiger admission the first time he applied to go there.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

Oh, I know a dude named Kaufman. As in, his grampa used to own the Royals.

go birds
-go birds

Post by go birds »

I was buddies with Trey Teague's little brother. Trey was the center for Tennessee and roomed with Peyton. Was drafted by the broncos and won a superbowl with Elway. He'd always be around for holidays so we'd always play backyard football. I even held his huge ass superbowl ring.

One of my good friends' mom likes to brag about how she went to school with Scott Bakula, of necessary roughness and quantum leap fame. Always get a kick out of that.

The songwriter for my ex-gf's band wrote a bunch of award-winning songs for conway twitty and others.

My dad was on a first name basis with the late Fred Thompson. He had an office across from my dad's pharmacy so he'd come in there on the occasion. About as nice a guy you'll ever meet.

Another buddy of mine's mom taught jeremy maclin. He strolled into Bar Louie one night some time after he was drafted so we chatted it up with him--really nice guy.

I went to gradeschool with carl perkins' grandson though haven't spoken to him since.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

heyzeus wrote:
November 29 15, 2:32 pm
Old story, but I know "snozzberries taste like snozzberries!" Guy from supertroopers (who, as you know, is married to Boobasaurus Rex).
Tragic news, he is no longer married to Boobasaurus Rex, and apparently she has a bit of a drinking problem.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Re: .

Post by thrill »

i can fix her

btw, my mom's old boss was college roommates with Harrison Ford. They are still buds. He said it absolutely the best hanging with him except for all the sex having that kept him locked out most nights.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

!

mikechamp
Hall Of Famer

Post by mikechamp »

Obscure? How's this one:

In college, I was on good terms with a kid with the last name of Bloch. And unless you were a trivia buff, you never would have made the connection to the possibility that he (actually) was a grandson of the co-founder of H&R Block.