Books!

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Re: Books!

Post by heyzeus »

The Third Man wrote:
September 2 21, 2:40 pm
heyzeus wrote:
July 15 21, 7:48 am
The Third Man wrote:
July 9 21, 11:01 pm
heyzeus wrote:
July 8 21, 8:28 am
So my kiddos (6 and 9 now) are obsessed with Harry Potter. They both finished the entire series awhile back, and I decided "hey, this weirdo book about child wizards channeling the occult...maybe I should read it too, just to make sure the thing they already read is appropriate for them." I'm a good parent.

Anyway, some observations:
-I appreciate the thinly veiled allegory to the rise of Nazi/totalitarian ideology. Rowling does a good job showing what gaslighting and propaganda is, without ever having to tell you that's what it is.
-I know Rowling is now considered Official Problematic because of her anti-trans stance, but the books have generally positive messages about acceptance and appreciation of people who are different than you.
-The hook-nosed goblins who control the wizarding banks did make me feel pretty meh, though.
-I could tell that the ending was gonna feature one of those "The fifth element is LOVE" kind of lessons. But it worked here.
-Harry can always read the mind of Voldemort, but it's never really explained why Voldemort isn't just reading the mind of Harry (since Harry never properly learns Occlumency). Thus, Voldemort should have had no trouble finding where Harry was hiding.
-Gotta love how Rowling names characters. If it's a bad guy, they get a name like Insidious Darkhouse. If you're a good guy, it's like Cloudlace Lovehaver.
-I won't say too much about Snape. Not sure I'm buying his story line, though.
-Am I supposed to now read all the other stuff too, like Cursed Child (the play) and the Fantastic Beasts stuff?
I will totally get into this tomorrow. I've read all those books a million times and as somebody who has lost a lot of his fondness for the material while still remaining admittedly indebted to the series for providing me with a memorable and enriching experience during a formative time in my life, it's a rich tension. [expletive] Rowling for sure, though.
Just following up. I want your hot Potter takes, Third Man.
I wrote a huge thing and I think it got eaten. I'll have to rework or dig it up. Damn it!
I blame Michael.

The Third Man
It rubs the lotion on its skin.

Post by The Third Man »

I might have it on a notepad file somewhere.

Anyway I'm moving back sup guys.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

The Third Man wrote:
September 2 21, 3:00 pm
I might have it on a notepad file somewhere.

Anyway I'm moving back sup guys.
Hola. Come hang out with us.

The Third Man
It rubs the lotion on its skin.

Post by The Third Man »

I plan on it! Once I have some income again, I'd love to get a get-together going. Already been abusing @haltz about service industry gigs, and he's gone waaaay above and beyond, so my options are looking rosy.

Famous Mortimer
Perennial All-Star

Post by Famous Mortimer »

I decided to take on "The Road To Reality" by Roger Penrose, billed as a complete guide to the laws of the universe. It's meaty, and the preface is all "there's a lot of complicated math in here", so I'm not sure how much I'll enjoy it. But you never know!

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

Just grabbed this one. Haven’t read anything by Whitehead yet, so I’m looking forward to it.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

heyzeus wrote:
-Am I supposed to now read all the other stuff too, like Cursed Child (the play) and the Fantastic Beasts stuff?
Late to this but just slammed the reply button so hard I sprained my finger (not really).

DO NOT read Cursed Child. More like cursed play.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

thrill wrote:
September 14 21, 8:14 am
heyzeus wrote:
Late to this but just slammed the reply button so hard I sprained my finger (not really).

DO NOT read Cursed Child. More like cursed play.
You're too late, bromigo. I read it. And it sucked. In a lot of different and perplexing ways.

Remember that Simpsons Treehouse of Horror episode where Homer accidentally creates a time machine while fixing the toaster, and every time he travels back he unintentionally changes the future in unforeseeable ways? And it was hilarious and captivating? Cursed Child is like that, only with nothing that was ever good about the HP franchise or really anything else either.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

Who the [expletive] decided we needed to have our noses rubbed in the reality that when our favorite magical children who saved the world grow up they become compromised boring sell outs full of regret and resentments just like everyone else?

JK probably really needed the money

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

thrill wrote:
September 14 21, 9:25 am
Who the [expletive] decided we needed to have our noses rubbed in the reality that when our favorite magical children who saved the world grow up they become compromised boring sell outs full of regret and resentments just like everyone else?

JK probably really needed the money
And then make Harry Potter a dick to his own son! Just because he's a little different! When that is literally the story of Harry Potter's own [expletive] childhood! Also, the writing is so wooden i got splinters from the book.