Where should I move?

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
33anda3rd
Replies Authoritatively

Re: Where should I move?

Post by 33anda3rd »

Smith, can you take 1-7 and rank them in pref order?

Like, Seattle. Super walkable. Temperate climate. Over-the-top amazing Asain food. Very pretty. Good air quality. Near the ocean--and the mountains for a bonus. Bunch of cool stuff to do.

But it's gray 6 months/year. Is that a deal breaker, or is other stuff more deal-breaker-y?

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

Cannon Beach for me as well. Let’s start a pickleball league.

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

Radbird wrote:Cannon Beach for me as well. Let’s start a pickleball league.
One of my good friends discovered pickleball over the summer. I have only seen her once since as pickleball is apparently her life now.

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

before i left wichita, a big pickleball (and restaurant/bar) place opened. it was completely foreign to me and i was amazed it was/is as popular as it must be.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

Radbird wrote:Cannon Beach for me as well. Let’s start a pickleball league.
No more excuses for dozing off on west coast Cardinal games!

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

Popping in to say Seattle isn't that gray. Definitely not 6 months a year. Highly exaggerated. I'm on year 1 and there was so much sun now in global warming era Seattle. Plus after spring it's light out until like 10 due to how far north it is.

It's cloudy here but the sun comes out a lot. And summers here are second to none. It snowed yesterday, and clear all day today with Mt.Rainier booming on my drive to work. Now it's snowing again. Fun stuff.

Kayaking, mountains, every body of water, great food. This city is the best in the US that I've seen. And I have lived in 6 states and 8 major cities. Love Portland too but job market isn't as good as here. I suggest here over San Fran or Portland. Lived 5 years in CA and the sun gets old. Not kidding. Plus fires won't burn you up in the PNW.

My $0.02

st.lewis11
Hall Of Famer

Post by st.lewis11 »

I was very impressed with Toronto on a visit almost a decade ago during the month of March. Was surprised that the cold wasn't too bad at that time of year. A very beautiful city, lots of different cultures, great public transportation (buses & subway were easy, clean & cheap). I wouldn't know about real estate costs.

My cousin loves Nashville.....I don't know much of your boxes that would check off.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

Big Amoco Sign wrote:Popping in to say Seattle isn't that gray. Definitely not 6 months a year. Highly exaggerated. I'm on year 1 and there was so much sun now in global warming era Seattle. Plus after spring it's light out until like 10 due to how far north it is.

It's cloudy here but the sun comes out a lot. And summers here are second to none. It snowed yesterday, and clear all day today with Mt.Rainier booming on my drive to work. Now it's snowing again. Fun stuff.

Kayaking, mountains, every body of water, great food. This city is the best in the US that I've seen. And I have lived in 6 states and 8 major cities. Love Portland too but job market isn't as good as here. I suggest here over San Fran or Portland. Lived 5 years in CA and the sun gets old. Not kidding. Plus fires won't burn you up in the PNW.

My $0.02
FWIW I also love Seattle... It does stay light in the summer but it also gets dark early in the winter. So pro with con. The only drawback for me is the city has felt a lot more congested the last few times I've been there.

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

It is congested but I luckily don’t live in any congested part being over by Madison Park. I’m moving to Crown Hill soon and it’ll be a nice little quaint, walkable area. When Ballard to West Seattle train is done, it’ll be real nice. Also the main light rail going to Northgate and Bellevue will be done later this year or early 2021.

Dark early in winter but it goes by quick. I spend most of the winter visiting Eastern WA where it’s sunnier and warmer as well as CA to visit family. That definitely helps.

Portland is nice if you can find a good paying job. If you work in service industry then you’ll love it.

Indu WangZi
Everyday Player

Post by Indu WangZi »

1. San Diego, CA - the weather is perfect. Cost of living is much more reasonable than LA and SF. It still isnt cheap but it isnt exorbitant either. Lots of Asians - Chinese, Korean and Vietnamese...so good food. Checks all your boxes save good public transport

2. Columbia, SC - beautiful The entire state is beautiful. Weather is awesome...people are nice...cost of living is good value for money. Great food...easy to navigate...not far from the ocean. Public transport is ok, but not great.

3. Santa Rosa, CA - love the city. Its nothing like you want but its paradise

If you want SF living but want it a bit cheaper...think Oakland. I lived there (Berkeley actually) for a number of years. Easily accessible to the Bay...great perks...great food...cheaper cost of living (but not too much). Castro Valley could be an option too (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castro_Valley,_California)