Coronavirus

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Coronavirus

Post by GeddyWrox »

Just read we have 63 cases now here in the US. This seems to be spreading faster than SARS or MERS ever did.

I'm supposed to be going to Mexico City for work next month and TBH I'm starting to freak out a little.

edit: 63 suspected cases *
Last edited by GeddyWrox on January 24 20, 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GeddyWrox

Re: Coronavirus

Post by GeddyWrox »

https://www.stltoday.com/news/national/ ... me-just-in
A second confirmed U.S. infection of a new viral respiratory illness was reported in Illinois and up to 63 cases are suspected across the country, news agencies reported Friday.

US state and national health officials on Friday announced steps to confront the global spread of a novel coronavirus that emerged in China last month. Meanwhile, France confirmed two cases of the deadly new virus from China, the first reports in Europe.

Hundreds of cases of the illness have been confirmed in China since an outbreak began last month in the Chinese city of Wuhan. Coronaviruses are a large family of viruses, some of which cause the common cold. Others have evolved into more severe illnesses, such as SARS and MERS, although so far the new virus does not appear to be nearly as deadly or contagious.

WHAT'S NEW TODAY

— The number of confirmed cases rose to 830. Twenty-six people have died, including the first two deaths outside Hubei.

— After Wuhan halted all outbound flights, trains, buses and ferries on Thursday, 12 other cities in the central province of Hubei followed suit, with a combined population of more than 36 million now under lockdown.

— Wuhan is swiftly building a 1,000-bed hospital dedicated to the disease. The prefabricated structure, slated for completion Feb. 3, is modeled after the Xiaotangshan SARS hospital in Beijing. The SARS hospital was built from scratch in 2003 and featured individual isolation units that looked like rows of tiny cabins.

—- The new virus claimed its youngest victim. A 36-year-old man in Hubei was admitted to the hospital earlier this month after suffering from fever for three days. He died following a sudden cardiac arrest on Jan. 23.

— South Korea and Japan both detected their second cases, and Singapore two more for a total of three.

— Hospitals in Wuhan are grappling with a flood of patients and a lack of supplies. At least eight hospitals in Wuhan issued public calls for donations of masks, goggles, gowns and other protective medical gear, according to notices online.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

All sorts of viruses out there, this one spread from animal to a human, which it can presumably do again, then obviously it's spreading human to human, presumably through cough/sneeze ejections (not medical term), as well. So, it checks a lot of scary boxes.

That said, I can never take the news seriously when they start banging the scare drums like this. So....let's rant for a second about why.

Symptoms of the coronavirus are: runny nose, fever, cough, sore throat, a general feeling of being unwell. That probably covers half of America at the moment given the weather and general attitude of the nation. Throw in the fact there are countless other viruses that cause these exact symptoms, and the assumption that people will present at hospitals nationwide is pretty valid. When someone goes to a doctors office with those problems & has had any contact with China or possibly even an airport, it's going to be a suspected case. And, the media is going to go wild. It's like they're cheering this virus on so they can open up every program/newspaper/story/whatever with an update and how [expletive] we all are. On top of all that, Atlanta is the only city where samples can be tested, so samples tested have to travel there. Which means it takes upwards of 3 days. And the media can continue to stroke the fears to increase ratings because they're souless ass clowns. And we're moronic consumers duped by manipulative media.

Here's probably all you need to know. It's a new virus among hundreds of viruses that can infect humans. And a new virus among millions or billions or some astronomical number of viruses in the world. The mortality rate is .... probably not known at this point as it's tough to know how many have the virus. But it will become more apparent as time progresses. Regardless, one thing is certain, 41 have died as of this post and 1000+ cases have been reported. The mortality rate will likely fall just shy of 10% when all is said and done. Of those deaths, one person under the age of 55 has died. For reference, the mortality rate of the common flu is around 2%.

So, is it something to know about? Sure. Outside of Wuhan or other specific areas in China, is it worth altering your life? Probably not. And, we will certainly know quite a bit more here in the coming weeks. I wouldn't worry too much about Mexico City, Geddy. Especially since it's a work trip, I'd imagine your company wouldn't want to send you if there were legit concerns about global outbreaks. And, as we learn more, you'll be able to determine if there is a threat for yourself.

CardsofSTL
All Hail the GDT Master

Post by CardsofSTL »

I ain't too worried about it

Smith Corks One
All-Star

Post by Smith Corks One »

Did you guys see how this thing supposedly started? Like, I saw pictures of people eating bat soup...I don't mean they cooked up some bat meat and made a soup out of it, I mean this woman had a whole [expletive] bat between her chopsticks with its [expletive] bat hair and bat teeth and bat eyes and she had its [expletive] bat wing between her teeth. I mean, what the [expletive]?

cardsfantx
Hall Of Famer

Post by cardsfantx »

I don’t drink that pi$$ corona so I think I’ll be ok

GeddyWrox

Post by GeddyWrox »

Smith Corks One wrote:Did you guys see how this thing supposedly started? Like, I saw pictures of people eating bat soup...I don't mean they cooked up some bat meat and made a soup out of it, I mean this woman had a whole [expletive] bat between her chopsticks with its [expletive] bat hair and bat teeth and bat eyes and she had its [expletive] bat wing between her teeth. I mean, what the [expletive]?
I try not to judge other cultures, but ugh. That's nasty.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

GeddyWrox

Post by GeddyWrox »

Trying not to be an alarmist, but this sure seems like it is growing into a pretty big deal:
Chinese scientists racing to keep up with the spread of a novel coronavirus have declared the widespread outbreak an epidemic, revealing that in its early days at least, the disease’s reach doubled every week.

By plotting the curve of that exponential growth and running it in reverse, researchers reckoned that the microbe sickening people across the globe has probably been passing from person to person since mid-December 2019.

Scientists in China are also closing in on the source of the aggressive new germ — bats.

The furry flying mammals may have been the original host of the coronavirus now crisscrossing the world, says one of three scientific studies released on Wednesday. But it may be another wild animal sold in Wuhan City’s Huanan Seafood Market that served up the virus to humans, who quickly began passing it to others through close contact.

The new studies, coming just five days after Chinese research teams offered their first detailed analyses of the virus known as 2019-nCoV, offer genetic and other evidence to suggest that Chinese health authorities probably caught the virus soon after it made its jump to humans. And it supports the theory that something in the Huanan market served as a bridge for the virus to cross between bats and humans.

Such evidence is consistent with the Chinese government’s public assertions about the sudden appearance and spread of a virus that has sickened as many as 9,000 and claimed at least 170 lives in China and six other countries. Chinese authorities have said they believe that Wuhan’s principal “wet market” is the cradle of the outbreak, and they have no evidence that the new virus spread earlier anywhere else.
coronavirus roughly as communicable as was the 1918 Spanish flu
https://www.latimes.com/science/story/2 ... ed-in-bats

Jocephus
99% conan clips

Post by Jocephus »

my boss's (that looks weird) HS aged son was going to go on a china trip over spring break but that got cancelled. i don't think they were going to one of the "hot spots" but nonetheless it was deemed too risky. she mentioned something where the state dept must have elevated the risk of travel to "level 3" so that's what cancelled/delayed the trip. the school is now looking at a June trip for the students.