House of the Dragon (HOT D) (possible spoilers ahead)

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Re: House of the Dragon (HOT D) (possible spoilers ahead)

Post by heyzeus »

vinsanity wrote:
September 12 22, 10:42 pm
thrill wrote:
September 12 22, 9:22 am
Pretty gross ep last night!
I mean the first episode had twincest an child murder.

I was more annoyed with the female director talking about shooting sex scenes from a female perspective but the cut in shots they used during the interview were the camera looking at the woman?

I'm probably desensitized to it all that.
Game of Thrones: Where We're All A Little Desensitized To
[SHOW]
Uncle Phucking

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

I thought that whole sequence was kind of nicely done. I feel like GOT would kind of have it's cake and eat it too. Like make sure to get the nudity in there, but also take the attitude that it was gross and debasing to all involved. Just making brothel scene all about power dynamics. Nobody's ever enjoying it. Not to suggest the brothels would be a completely ethical, fully consenting environment in this world but at least some people seem to be enjoying themselves. As far as Rhaenyra goes, she's wanted to be treated like an adult this whole time and this is the first time anyone's done that. Once Daemon takes her hat off you know something's up, but that was more bothersome to me than the incest which is just a thing for this family and world. Viserys' reaction notwithstanding.

G. Keenan
Sucking on the Rally Nipple

Post by G. Keenan »

So what is Daemon's game here?

I assume that what the camera shows the viewers is the "truth" which we then see characters spin/lie about. It looked to me like they did not have actual intercourse. They are about to and then he stops it. He then tells the King that they did. Why? Does he really want to marry his niece? Or was this just a stunt he hoped would lead to the Hand's firing?

AdmiralKird
MBA, CPA, CFA, CFP, JD, PE, MD

Post by AdmiralKird »

G. Keenan wrote:
September 14 22, 1:39 pm
So what is Daemon's game here?

I assume that what the camera shows the viewers is the "truth" which we then see characters spin/lie about. It looked to me like they did not have actual intercourse. They are about to and then he stops it. He then tells the King that they did. Why? Does he really want to marry his niece? Or was this just a stunt he hoped would lead to the Hand's firing?
I don't think he was playing a deep of game as to gunning for Otto's firing. That seems like more collateral, unpredictable damage caused by Rhaenyra. Daemon wanted them to be seen; He threw off her cap in the brothel. But that was it. I don't know how much of it involves Rhaenyra, or a plan with her involved other than as a setpiece, but I tend to think most of it stems from his self-toxic relationship with his brother. His return to King's Landing went almost... too well, and I think he wanted some new way to hurt Viserys.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

These answers are all out there for you, but I think it’s clear that Daemon is more of a reactor than a planner.

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

Weird episode last night. Perfectly executed mechanically and I was on the edge of my seat for most of the second half but plot-wise rather sketchy.

AdmiralKird
MBA, CPA, CFA, CFP, JD, PE, MD

Post by AdmiralKird »

ghostrunner wrote:
September 19 22, 8:45 am
Perfectly executed mechanically
You didn't notice any of the lighting problems during the feast?

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

AdmiralKird wrote:
September 21 22, 9:58 pm
ghostrunner wrote:
September 19 22, 8:45 am
Perfectly executed mechanically
You didn't notice any of the lighting problems during the feast?
Mostly talking about the suspense and what’s happening with the actors on screen. I think for a second I thought it looked a bit dark but otherwise didn’t really notice anything.

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

Having thought about it more, I'm sitting better with Alicent's end of things. That was most of my problem. Still wasn't sold on it in the moment, but it's not like Dany suddenly becoming a genocidal psychopath.

heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

Post by heyzeus »

So I don't entirely get...
[SHOW]
Triston just flat out bludgeons Joffrey to death at Rhanerys' wedding. To everyone in attendance it would appear for no reason at all. I get that the Queen seems to have plans for him, but I don't see how he wouldn't be immediately removed from his post, at a minimum, and more likely than not executed. Yet after the flash forward, it appears he suffered no consequences at all!