TikTok

Chat about non-baseball topics. No political discussions!
heyzeus
Everday Unicorn

TikTok

Post by heyzeus »

A colleague was trying to convince me that it's fun/addictive/good. I'm a 44 year old dad. I don't feel I have any use for TikTok in my life. GRB: Is this the correct position?

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Re: TikTok

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

I bet I could have a good time on there.

I don’t trust the way social media [expletive] with your brain, and Tik Tok is the worst. That dopamine hit of ‘Im about to be pleased’ is, I’m sure, incredibly addictive and I think dangerous. I’m going to keep my kids off as long as possible (at least on their own), and try and prime them to be in control when they do engage.

I’m troubled that things are more designed to be addictive than necessarily good or useful these days. I guess it’s always been true where there is opportunity in capitalism, but the way our brains are being messed with in modern times is bad. Not to mention the shame and pain and loneliness of all the unavoidable comparison.

Now someone share a bunch of hilarious Tik Toks, because I’m a bummer.

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

Like everything else. Lots of funny, incisive and intelligent stuff on there. Also a lot of purely deranged stuff like "Ancient Rome didn't exist" lady. I think unlike Twitter you're less inclined to waste time arguing with morons though. Just move on. I really only see what gets posted to Twitter.

I'm often impressed by the moviemaking skills on there too. It's obviously minimal or no-budget, but it's cool what they can do sometimes with just iPhones and camera/editing tricks.

There's a fun account on there by a guy who can look at a picture from Google Maps for half a second and identify it on a map.

Leroy
a bad penny always turns up
Location: Hanging out with my redneck, white socks and Blue Ribbon beer.

Post by Leroy »

I'm at that age that if a teenager tells me something is really cool, I assume it is dumb and stay away from it.

ghostrunner
Hall Of Famer

Post by ghostrunner »

Big Amoco Sign
Master of Hyperbole

Post by Big Amoco Sign »

It's really easy to rip on and hate what the kids like. It's whatever. There's comedy reels on there. I usually watch those. Sometimes good reporting too during civil unrest times.

I guess it's like either be a curmudgeon and hate it for no reason and watch Gunsmoke reruns. Don't know what people are supposed to like these days. Media and government and corporations give us a finite amount of breadcrumbs.

This isn't directed at anyone here, but I am getting tired of everyone seeming "too cool" for things though. When I hear "man things are more addictive these days, " I start to remember how many people grew up smoking and being two inches from a TV watching commercials all day.

TGantz
R-E-S-P-E-C-T...What Dr Pepper Means to Me

Post by TGantz »

Big Amoco Sign wrote:
January 12 23, 10:20 pm
It's really easy to rip on and hate what the kids like. It's whatever. There's comedy reels on there. I usually watch those. Sometimes good reporting too during civil unrest times.

I guess it's like either be a curmudgeon and hate it for no reason and watch Gunsmoke reruns. Don't know what people are supposed to like these days. Media and government and corporations give us a finite amount of breadcrumbs.

This isn't directed at anyone here, but I am getting tired of everyone seeming "too cool" for things though. When I hear "man things are more addictive these days, " I start to remember how many people grew up smoking and being two inches from a TV watching commercials all day.
Tik Tok is on another level. Why else would all the other social media companies add Tik Tok reels? Youtube pulls me in to Youtube shorts all the time. I'll be watching videos about hunting or fishing and then I find myself in some loop where a young Asian couple is acting out some staged stupid video with a narrator talking in a monotone voice or there's a 5 second video of a 17 year old female athlete getting ready to run on a track. The worst are when it shows some stupid teenager watching a different video with their mouth hanging open and giving zero reaction at all. What is the point of that? The only positive thing about it is snapping me awake to how zonked out I got in the video loop and I need to turn my phone off.

Cell phones have always been a distraction and problem in my line of work, but it is way worse with Tik Tok the last couple years. People are absolutely addicted.

I'm not trying to be cool by [expletive] on social media. I'm genuinely worried about what world my kid is growing up in.

AdmiralKird
MBA, CPA, CFA, CFP, JD, PE, MD

Post by AdmiralKird »

I wish I could ban youtube shorts in my subscription feed. All of them. Tik Tok exists in this weird realm of permanent guaranteed crap quality for everything. You can get a decent amount of enjoyment out of a short idea in a 5 second gif. You can get a decent amount of info out of a 10 minute youtube video. You can't get crap out of a 30 second video. It's both too long for a short idea and too short for a long idea. It's No Man's Land. All of it is trash. All of it. Imagine going to the movie theater and waiting 20 minutes to see a 6 minute clip or 6 hour movie. There are just certain lengths things are not meant to be.

What shocks me is how Vines flew too close to the sun and exploded into a puff of nothing, and then Tiktok comes along, does the same thing, and is wildly successful.

TGantz
R-E-S-P-E-C-T...What Dr Pepper Means to Me

Post by TGantz »

AdmiralKird wrote:
January 13 23, 6:45 am
I wish I could ban youtube shorts in my subscription feed. All of them. Tik Tok exists in this weird realm of permanent guaranteed crap quality for everything. You can get a decent amount of enjoyment out of a short idea in a 5 second gif. You can get a decent amount of info out of a 10 minute youtube video. You can't get crap out of a 30 second video. It's both too long for a short idea and too short for a long idea. It's No Man's Land. All of it is trash. All of it. Imagine going to the movie theater and waiting 20 minutes to see a 6 minute clip or 6 hour movie. There are just certain lengths things are not meant to be.

What shocks me is how Vines flew too close to the sun and exploded into a puff of nothing, and then Tiktok comes along, does the same thing, and is wildly successful.
Judging by how much I get pounded with Tik Tok ads, I would say the issue was marketing for Vine.

Every time I see someone on Tik Tok I think of the chimpanzee being experimented on in the beginning of 28 Days Later. They had its eyes stuck open and forced it to watch short clips of humans doing awful things. Sounds like Tik Tok to me.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

AdmiralKird wrote:
January 13 23, 6:45 am
I wish I could ban youtube shorts in my subscription feed. All of them.
Agreed. I watch a ton of podcasts and youtube shows where they'll post their whole show and a million short clips and it spams my subscription timeline.

This happens a lot to "older" social media where a new thing will get popular and then the old thing will lean into copying it and get worse. instagram is the worst example of this. Don't try to be tiktok. Be instagram. If I want tiktok, I'll go to to tiktok.