Post by CardsofSTL »

Scammer thieving sons of [expletive]

G. Keenan
Sucking on the Rally Nipple

Re: Debit card fraud

Post by G. Keenan »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
February 21 23, 4:45 pm
Got a letter of delinquency from our POA. Called to let them know we paid months ago. They said they didn't receive payment. Got online and looked at the picture of the cashed check.

Mrs. AW put it in mailbox (Sunday) 12.18. Check was cashed at 8:14am (Monday) 12.19.

Someone added their name to the 'pay to the order of' line on the check behind the POA name. It's a person's name. Said person has a revoked business license in Arkansas and deposited the check to a banking account with their name on it.

Either the dumbest criminal in history or the smartest. Filed a police report and initiated a dispute with the bank. Guess we'll see what happens. People are ass holes.
Apparently there is a lot of check fraud going on the past year plus. People are stealing them from out of mailboxes using stolen postal worker master keys. 1 key will unlock all the mailboxes in a given area. We started getting a lot of check fraud at work I'd say middle of last year. Someone out there was depositing fake checks from our business account. We had to close those accounts and open new ones, but it happened again. So then we had to switch our banking to "positive payments" so that we now have to approve all outgoing payments before they will clear.

I want to say the first batch of fraud happened around June that forced us to close and reopen accounts. Then it happened again, on new account numbers, last November. The bank's response was "oh yeah, we see a lot of check fraud this time of year (November)."

I am 100% sure none of the culprits were investigated for even a nanosecond. As best I can tell, this kind of fraud is essentially free money for the criminals. Our bank would automatically clear any check under $4500 until we switched to "positive payments." The fraudsters clearly new this because each fake check they wrote would be a few dollars less.

I bet you the police will not go looking for the name on that check. For that, the bank would have to make a fuss with the police and if it's a small enough amount it's just a cost of doing business.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

G. Keenan wrote:
February 22 23, 12:51 pm
AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
Got a letter of delinquency from our POA. Called to let them know we paid months ago. They said they didn't receive payment. Got online and looked at the picture of the cashed check.

Mrs. AW put it in mailbox (Sunday) 12.18. Check was cashed at 8:14am (Monday) 12.19.

Someone added their name to the 'pay to the order of' line on the check behind the POA name. It's a person's name. Said person has a revoked business license in Arkansas and deposited the check to a banking account with their name on it.

Either the dumbest criminal in history or the smartest. Filed a police report and initiated a dispute with the bank. Guess we'll see what happens. People are ass holes.
Apparently there is a lot of check fraud going on the past year plus. People are stealing them from out of mailboxes using stolen postal worker master keys. 1 key will unlock all the mailboxes in a given area. We started getting a lot of check fraud at work I'd say middle of last year. Someone out there was depositing fake checks from our business account. We had to close those accounts and open new ones, but it happened again. So then we had to switch our banking to "positive payments" so that we now have to approve all outgoing payments before they will clear.

I want to say the first batch of fraud happened around June that forced us to close and reopen accounts. Then it happened again, on new account numbers, last November. The bank's response was "oh yeah, we see a lot of check fraud this time of year (November)."

I am 100% sure none of the culprits were investigated for even a nanosecond. As best I can tell, this kind of fraud is essentially free money for the criminals. Our bank would automatically clear any check under $4500 until we switched to "positive payments." The fraudsters clearly new this because each fake check they wrote would be a few dollars less.

I bet you the police will not go looking for the name on that check. For that, the bank would have to make a fuss with the police and if it's a small enough amount it's just a cost of doing business.
Interesting. Thanks for the info.

Seems like prosecution would be low hanging fruit for police.

I googled the name that was added to the 'pay to' line and within a couple minutes found a person with the exact same name - not a name I've heard ever before - currently has a few felony charges in the city for credit/debit card fraud that are currently ongoing.

Seems like the police could contact the bank where the check was deposited (info they have), confirm who the person is with the bank account holders info, and then bam what else is there? Isn't stealing mail a felony and/or federal offense?

At the same time, yeah, I can see police not caring about $500 especially if they're not being pressured by a bank.

G. Keenan

Post by G. Keenan »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
February 22 23, 1:21 pm
G. Keenan wrote:
AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:

I googled the name that was added to the 'pay to' line and within a couple minutes found a person with the exact same name - not a name I've heard ever before - currently has a few felony charges in the city for credit/debit card fraud that are currently ongoing.

Seems like the police could contact the bank where the check was deposited (info they have), confirm who the person is with the bank account holders info, and then bam what else is there? Isn't stealing mail a felony and/or federal offense?

At the same time, yeah, I can see police not caring about $500 especially if they're not being pressured by a bank.
As best as we could tell, none of our checks were actually stolen because otherwise we'd have a vendor asking where their money was. More like they were just copied to get the account numbers and then the crooks just wrote new fake checks to themselves and deposited them. I saw copies of these fakes and they were so amateurish I couldn't believe they actually worked. The crooks would deposit the fake checks through ATMs and since they were under the $4500 per check threshold they would just clear right away. The bank was so casual about it all like they didn't even care. Chicago PD took a report but like I said, I am quite sure they do not even investigate this stuff. The bank reimburses the money and seems to treat this level of fraud as unimportant.

AWvsCBsteeeerike3
"I could totally eat a pig butt, if smoked correctly!"

Post by AWvsCBsteeeerike3 »

G. Keenan wrote:
February 22 23, 1:52 pm
AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
G. Keenan wrote:
AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:

As best as we could tell, none of our checks were actually stolen because otherwise we'd have a vendor asking where their money was. More like they were just copied to get the account numbers and then the crooks just wrote new fake checks to themselves and deposited them. I saw copies of these fakes and they were so amateurish I couldn't believe they actually worked. The crooks would deposit the fake checks through ATMs and since they were under the $4500 per check threshold they would just clear right away. The bank was so casual about it all like they didn't even care. Chicago PD took a report but like I said, I am quite sure they do not even investigate this stuff. The bank reimburses the money and seems to treat this level of fraud as unimportant.
That's insane.

What's to stop a group of people, like say a random group of people that discuss baseball on a random message board, from exchanging pictures of their checks that can be fraudulently used for a maximum of say $1,000 time to time?

Going through the process now, the affidavit that you have to fill out just says that you aren't gaining monetarily from the check that was cashed. You can claim that.

G. Keenan

Post by G. Keenan »

TGantz wrote:
January 15 10, 1:41 am
People steal them from mailboxes and print their name and address and everything on there to make it look legit. They alter the MICR and it makes it very hard to tell.
Ha, @TGantz was hip to the stolen check fraud scam 13 years ago!

These thread bumps are kinda trippy. I see in the original post that I spent New Year's in the Bay Area in 2010. Did I? Seems like another lifetime.

It goes fast homies.

Smith Corks One
All-Star

Post by Smith Corks One »

AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
February 22 23, 2:33 pm
G. Keenan wrote:
February 22 23, 1:52 pm
AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:
G. Keenan wrote:
AWvsCBsteeeerike3 wrote:

That's insane.

What's to stop a group of people, like say a random group of people that discuss baseball on a random message board, from exchanging pictures of their checks that can be fraudulently used for a maximum of say $1,000 time to time?

Going through the process now, the affidavit that you have to fill out just says that you aren't gaining monetarily from the check that was cashed. You can claim that.
I remember my high school economics teacher saying that you could use a fast food hamburger wrapper or the back of an envelope as a check if you wrote the proper names and numbers on it. Never knew if that was actually true.

TGantz
R-E-S-P-E-C-T...What Dr Pepper Means to Me

Post by TGantz »

G. Keenan wrote:
April 28 23, 1:16 pm
TGantz wrote:
January 15 10, 1:41 am
People steal them from mailboxes and print their name and address and everything on there to make it look legit. They alter the MICR and it makes it very hard to tell.
Ha, @TGantz was hip to the stolen check fraud scam 13 years ago!

These thread bumps are kinda trippy. I see in the original post that I spent New Year's in the Bay Area in 2010. Did I? Seems like another lifetime.

It goes fast homies.
I have zero recollection posting that or even knowing about that scam, but I take full credit.

BottenFieldofDreams
Perennial All-Star

Post by BottenFieldofDreams »

Be careful out there. A scammer duped my Bank's number for caller ID and had me going longer than I would have guessed I'd be good for. He was responding to 'fraud' on the account, and I had had some recently (and very recently now I suppose) so I was listening. When he asked me for my pin I pretended I was busy and called the bank back on my work phone to listen in on the call. It definitely wasn't them and she told me to shut it down.

Had he got my pin his buddy would have called the automated line to check my balance which he could tell me to sound legit--the lady told me that's the new move. Your bank won't ask for your pin. Be skeptical aa [expletive].