Debit card fraud

The forum for ranting, raving, complaining and praising
lukethedrifter
darjeeling sipping elite

Re: Debit card fraud

Post by lukethedrifter »

ATM Skimming 101: How to Keep Safe. Tips for Identifying Skimming Devices and Keeping Your Transactions Safe

also

ATM fraud, a.k.a. skimming, is on the rise
http://blogs.consumerreports.org/money/ ... secur.html

It pays to be wary at the ATM these days. The convenience of getting cash from a machine appeals to crooks even more than it does to you. Skimming crimes—whereby thieves tamper with an ATM or card payment device to steal your PIN and the account data stored on your card’s magnetic stripe—are on the rise, according to financial security experts.

The trade publication BankInfoSecurity reports that ATM skimming is expected to be among the top forms of fraud that banking customers will face in the coming year. The publication noted that ATM fraud ranked among the top scams last year too. A wave of skimming crimes was reported in the last two months of the year in cities such as Nashville and Las Vegas.

At the same time, law enforcement officials in Maryland, Illinois and Georgia were investigating ATM skimming schemes that netted at least $120,000 from bank customers’ accounts. And over the holidays, BankInfoSecurity reports criminals hit ATMs to steal money from the accounts of bank customers in Florida and credit union members in North Carolina.

slide_into_first
is unaware that dangerous is the real Tyler Durden

Post by slide_into_first »

My wife found this week someone in North Carolina ordered blinds from Overstock.com on her debit card for $200.

TGantz
R-E-S-P-E-C-T...What Dr Pepper Means to Me

Post by TGantz »

Carry around cash then it's easily lost or stolen. Writing checks is a hassle and easy to fake. Credit cards cause tons of debt in our society.

Let's just go back to bartering.

Seriously though, I'm a checker at a grocery store and we've had major problems with fraudulent checks. People steal them from mailboxes and print their name and address and everything on there to make it look legit. They alter the MICR and it makes it very hard to tell.

That should be what the death penalty is for.

That goes for punks with fake I.D's. Do it the old fashioned way and wait outside a liquor store asking people to buy it for you.

sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Post by sighyoung »

Gantz wrote:Carry around cash then it's easily lost or stolen. Writing checks is a hassle and easy to fake. Credit cards cause tons of debt in our society.

Let's just go back to bartering.

Seriously though, I'm a checker at a grocery store and we've had major problems with fraudulent checks. People steal them from mailboxes and print their name and address and everything on there to make it look legit. They alter the MICR and it makes it very hard to tell.

That should be what the death penalty is for.

That goes for punks with fake I.D's. Do it the old fashioned way and wait outside a liquor store asking people to buy it for you.
In seriousness, counterfeiting WAS a crime that could lead to the death penalty in many societies (such as ancient Rome) because it was seen as undermining the entire economy.

Leroy
a bad penny always turns up
Location: Hanging out with my redneck, white socks and Blue Ribbon beer.

Post by Leroy »

I'd be happy to help gneen. Just send me your credit/debit card numbers and expiration dates, birth date, social security number, mother's maiden name, and favorite color along with your first pet's name. The offer stands for all here as well.

Sutter'sBeard
is the oscar meyer weiner kid

Post by Sutter'sBeard »

G. Keenan wrote:Somehow, someone out in the San Francisco area has gotten a hold of my debit card and been using it at Old Navy, Build-a-Bear, and other random [expletive]. It's weird, because I was out there for 5 days over new New Years, BUT, I never once used this card, for anything. I used a credit card and a different debit card the entire time. I still have the card in my wallet. As far as I can remember it was never out of my possession.

Kudos to Chase for calling me up about it. Big F U to Chase for the fact that the guy on the phone was barely comprehensible, and that instead of just giving me the money back I have to wait until the transactions actually go through and then dispute them. That'll be fun!
Some F'ers in Brea, CA got me Christmas eve. Charged up $800 in a few hours (could have been worse). The resolution with Visa went pretty smooth (so far). My guess was that they are cloning cards from online purchases and selling cards to jamokes. My wife had made exactly one purchase with that card online and that place was based out of Cali. The funniest purchase they made was at a Sbarro Pizza. My guess is that professionals wouldn't buy pizza with a stolen credit card.

JackofDiamonds
Bringer of Boston Baked Blue Balls

Post by JackofDiamonds »

When my debit card was stolen outright, the funniest thing was a $250 purchase at McDonalds. What?

cards2468
Hall Of Famer

Post by cards2468 »

JackofDiamonds wrote:When my debit card was stolen outright, the funniest thing was a $250 purchase at McDonalds. What?
somebody was high

G. Keenan
Sucking on the Rally Nipple

Post by G. Keenan »

JackofDiamonds wrote:When my debit card was stolen outright, the funniest thing was a $250 purchase at McDonalds. What?
How is that even possible?

Arthur Dent
Hall Of Famer

Post by Arthur Dent »

G. Keenan wrote:
How is that even possible?
Gift cards I'll bet.

There is a scam involving these. I can't remember exactly how it works, but once an employee gets the cards, they can convert them into cash by running customer orders on the cards and pocketing their cash.