Alzheimer's

The forum for ranting, raving, complaining and praising
planet planet
http://tinyurl.com/2e4x5hy

Re: Alzheimer's

Post by planet planet »

Radbird wrote:St. Clare's sent her to Cardinal Ritter Senior Services on Watson for rehab. She had another stroke on Xmas eve. Last weekend the c. diff came back with a vengeance and sapped what little strength and will to fight she had left.

They were getting ready to move her to the hospice wing when she passed away last night. We were driving in to say goodbye and making a pit stop in Raytown when we heard the news. She spent most of her last month more dazed and confused than ever, wondering what in the hell was happening to her. While sad that we didn't make it in time, it was comforting to know her suffering, both physical and mental, was over.

She had a long and remarkable life. Family is coming in from all over the country. We are meeting with the funeral home folks tomorrow to set the schedule. Mini-rad and her cousins have spent today going through family photos to make photoboards for the viewing.

I'm extremely lucky to have had her in my life for so long. I recognize that many are not so fortunate. I forward to celebrating her life with family and friends over the next week.
I'm heart broken to hear the news about your mom, Rad. I'm glad to hear she didn't suffer in light of her recent strokes. She must have been an amazing lady to raise such an amazing son.

sighyoung
Mayor of GRB

Post by sighyoung »

I'm so sorry. I know you loved her very deeply. It's hard to watch loved ones decline like that.

I wish you and your family the best in the wake of this. She was very fortunate to have family who loved her, cared for her, and tried to comfort her. I'm also glad you could spent some time with her in December, as you did.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

Sorry Rad.

Gashouse
Perennial All-Star

Post by Gashouse »

Sorry to hear this.

Fat_Bulldog
likes to grate his own cheese

Post by Fat_Bulldog »

Sorry

redbirdjazzz
Perennial All-Star

Post by redbirdjazzz »

Really sorry to hear this, Rad.

Freed Roger
Seeking a Zubaz seamstress

Post by Freed Roger »

http://www.radiolab.org/series/podcasts/

Interesting podcast on alzheimers therapy showing success in mice studies.

IMADreamer
Has an anecdote about a townie he overheard.

Post by IMADreamer »

I don't know which I hate worse Cancer or Alzheimer's, but probably Alzheimer's actually. My uncle has it, he's pretty early. For the last few years he's repeated himself a lot and get stuck in routines. I guess these are early stage signs according to the doctor. I believe he's also been on some medicine to slow the progression. It is obviously a big deal for us because he operates tractors and trucks at the farm and is in sometimes dangerous situations and if it progresses we obviously have to stop that. However he's is still a great farmer. Still very intelligent, great at problem solving, and an excellent equipment operator. However today we were spraying fields and he'd been spraying all morning. Then all the sudden I get a call on my phone and he's kind of worked up and says "I need you to come over here, I can't figure this out." So I went to the side of the field he was in and climbed up and he was just confused. Like all the sudden he had no idea how to operate the controls. Don't get me wrong he could run the tractor fine, but not the sprayer. Now I will say, it's freaking complicated. There are three controllers and two monitors and between them there are no less than 100 buttons. However he just couldn't figure out how to turn the pump on which is a sequence of two buttons.

I got on and tried it myself it worked fine. Now I'm sitting here with a dilemma. Do I tell my uncle, who is one of my hero's that I think I better take over from here. Can I just send him to the truck and trust he can make it back to the shop ok? Ultimately I said, maybe you should take a break and let me spray a while. He agreed saying he was getting worn out. Whew. So I watch him get to the truck and he takes off just fine. I call my aunt and tell her what happen and that he should be up there in a few minutes to watch for him.

So I took over. I cried for a while. For all intents and purposes my Dad is retired off the farm and I don't know how much longer my uncle will be around now. Seeing one of the strongest, smartest, people I know decline because of this god awful dieses is going to be the worst.

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Post by GeddyWrox »

God that suck IMA. I'm sorry man.

Radbird
There's someone in my head but it's not me

Post by Radbird »

Damn. Sorry to hear that, Dreamer. God awful disease is right.