Thanks team. We're getting through it.
:toast:

tlombard
tl;dr

Re: Life changes

Post by tlombard »

thrill wrote:
October 5 22, 7:37 am
I will have an extra bedroom. Must be 420 and dog friendly. If you fit those criteria you can stay. If you don't, we'll meet for a drink and I'll tell you the good places to eat.
I am still trying to decide where to take my next time off but I very well may spend at least a few days in Jupiter for spring training. I won't try and stay at your place but I may see if you're available for a drink. I haven't been home since August so I do want to spend a few days there at least but I am considering spending two weekends back home in St. Louis and flying down to Florida for a few days during the week. I still have about four more weeks to finish up this current trainee that I have on the truck with me to figure out what I want to do. I've decided to just start taking a week off somewhere different every three months or so. Last time was Vegas for a Blues game in November.

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

I’m down!

tlombard
tl;dr

Post by tlombard »

I finally picked up a new tablet Tuesday with a keyboard cover so I can be more active on here again too. It was just too much hassle to break out the laptop all the time, especially with trainees on the truck where I can't just leave it out as much. Plus I can take this tablet into truck stops and places a whole lot easier than my big, heavy laptop. I love my laptop but it's a beast.

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Post by GeddyWrox »

I am most likely going to be looking for a new place in about a year and a half. I am currently pondering whether I'm going to get another house or an apartment.

Backstory: Wife and I have been essentially separated (but cohabitating and co-parenting) for 7+ years now. I would have moved out long ago but we don't fight, and I wanted to be here every day with my kids. I have also had a (very patient and understanding) girl friend for 10 years.

Our youngest daughter is 17 now and will be graduating highschool in '24. Once she's off to college, I don't have anything tying me to this house (way out in the boonies).

I will be moving in with my GF. But we aren't sure if we want to buy a house right away or get an apartment for a few years.

Some considerations:
- GF works in a lab. Not able to do remote. So inside of the 270 loop will be ideal.
- I have a dog that I will need to take with me.
- GF has an adult son that doesn't drive and still lives with her (but we might try to push him out on his own).
- GF and I have serious wanderlust and want to spend extended periods in Europe and elsewhere.
- I love the idea of no maintenance apartment living.
- But I also think a house is a good long term investment.
- I'm 47 currently and the thought of another 30 year mortgage makes me feel a tad ill.

What say you GRB?? Apartment or buy a house??

thrill
bronoun enthusiast

Post by thrill »

Seems like flexibility and freedom to adjust to your new reality should be your priority for the next couple of years. Moving is a pain in the ass, but I think you might enjoy the flexibility for a couple of years while you and GF figure out your plans for the future. Right now it seems like much of that has been on hold while you get your kids through high school, so renting for a year or two in an ideal location will give you time to figure out this new chapter for each of you, while giving her son pressure to move out (less space, you'll be living there full time and as an adult son of a single woman, I would want to gtfo asap if I was still living with my mom and her bf moved in) AND if you decide you want to buy in a couple of years, you can take your time and make it worth a new mortgage commitment rather than rushing into something.

Basically, that mortgage will be there in the future if you decide it's what you want. Why not try the renting life first to see if you like it. It's only a year commitment and right now you're transitioning to a lot of new lifestyle changes and a one year commitment will pass like a flash. A mortgage is much trickier to get out of if it turns out you want the flexibility of renting. Worst case, you decide you want to buy and have to move again in a year. Like I said, it's a pain, but not that big a deal.

GeddyWrox
Caught you a delicious bass

Post by GeddyWrox »

I've definitely been leaning that way. The thought of having a dog in an apartment is about the only hang-up I have nagging at me (besides the moving multiple times thing). Luckily she's not a big dog - just under 40 lbs. But she's part pittie - looks like an overgrown boston - some complexes might not allow her.