GRB Fantasy Football 2012 Season

Talk about fantasy sports here
Post Reply
User avatar
longhornbaseball
Perennial All-Star
Posts: 5527
Joined: April 18 06, 10:37 pm

Re: GRB Fantasy Football 2012 Season

Post by longhornbaseball »

TheoSqua wrote:I agree with Admiral that WRs are very up and down year-to-year since TDs are such a big variable for WR points.
This is true. I looked at the year to year correlations over the past 9 years for yards and TDs at each position. These are the correlation coefficients.

Code: Select all

Position             r
TE receiving yards  .59
RB rushing yards    .53
QB passing TDs      .47
RB rushing TDs      .46
QB passing yards    .42
RB receiving yards  .37
WR receiving yards  .37
RB receiving TDs    .34
TE receiving TDs    .33
WR receiving TDs    .27

User avatar
AdmiralKird
MBA, CPA, CFA, CFP, JD, PE, MD
Posts: 10174
Joined: March 7 07, 4:50 pm
Location: Tycho Crater, Luna

Re: GRB Fantasy Football 2012 Season

Post by AdmiralKird »

It's WAYYY more easy to shut down a wide receiver simply by nature of the position. With a QB, you need synergy between every defensive player on the field to shut him down. Running backs are always going to get touches, and will have a chance to pound it away twenty-five times a game. Wide receivers, you pull a safety to double team him with the corner and that player isn't going to gain any points, no matter how good they are.

The receivers that are successful are the ones that blindside defensive coordinators because they're not players that have been spotlighted. They break out, then get accounted for. Rarely will you find a player like Hakeem Nicks that just gets open all the time. I'd like to see what the correlation numbers are for WR in the top 100, 50, 25, 10 of yardage accumulated.

I'd suspect QB's/RB's will have almost a uniform correlation throughout their ranks (comparatively), but WR will start with almost no correlation then increase gradually as you near the top five players. So pretty much if you draft a WR outside the top ten players its a gamble, and you might as well take Antonio Gates early or a RB3

User avatar
JackofDiamonds
Bringer of Boston Baked Blue Balls
Posts: 15010
Joined: April 16 06, 9:15 pm

Re: GRB Fantasy Football 2012 Season

Post by JackofDiamonds »

TheoSqua wrote:I made the offer the day before the report came out. I figured he'd start the first game of the year. But I think manning still has the potential to out perform the point differential hit between mike wallace and mike williams.

If I had known for certain he wasn't practicing this week and was doubtful I would have held off. But that's the risk of buying low on potential.

Plus my other offer was tony romo.
HOW'S TONY HOMO LOOKING NOW?!

User avatar
TheoSqua
Next Gen Wart
Posts: 8950
Joined: April 22 06, 6:53 pm
Location: St. Louis
Contact:

Re: GRB Fantasy Football 2012 Season

Post by TheoSqua »

JackofDiamonds wrote:
TheoSqua wrote:I made the offer the day before the report came out. I figured he'd start the first game of the year. But I think manning still has the potential to out perform the point differential hit between mike wallace and mike williams.

If I had known for certain he wasn't practicing this week and was doubtful I would have held off. But that's the risk of buying low on potential.

Plus my other offer was tony romo.
HOW'S TONY HOMO LOOKING NOW?!
hahahaha. Yeah i'm pretty screwed now.

User avatar
thrill
bronoun enthusiast
Posts: 30539
Joined: April 14 06, 10:45 pm
Location: barely online

Re: GRB Fantasy Football 2012 Season

Post by thrill »

TheoSqua wrote:
JackofDiamonds wrote:
TheoSqua wrote:I made the offer the day before the report came out. I figured he'd start the first game of the year. But I think manning still has the potential to out perform the point differential hit between mike wallace and mike williams.

If I had known for certain he wasn't practicing this week and was doubtful I would have held off. But that's the risk of buying low on potential.

Plus my other offer was tony romo.
HOW'S TONY HOMO LOOKING NOW?!
hahahaha. Yeah i'm pretty screwed now.
I just dropped him from my work league.

KEVIN KOLB BETTER STEP UP

User avatar
TheoSqua
Next Gen Wart
Posts: 8950
Joined: April 22 06, 6:53 pm
Location: St. Louis
Contact:

Re: GRB Fantasy Football 2012 Season

Post by TheoSqua »

Well if this week is any indication of my season it's gonna be fun chillin' in the cellar.

User avatar
clevername
Bringer of FRBG
Posts: 10380
Joined: April 16 06, 7:13 pm
Location: Alabama

Re: GRB Fantasy Football 2012 Season

Post by clevername »

can I carry points over to the next week? I have about 85 too many points this week, enough to compete with someone next week.

User avatar
JackofDiamonds
Bringer of Boston Baked Blue Balls
Posts: 15010
Joined: April 16 06, 9:15 pm

Re: GRB Fantasy Football 2012 Season

Post by JackofDiamonds »

GRONKOWSKI!

User avatar
AdmiralKird
MBA, CPA, CFA, CFP, JD, PE, MD
Posts: 10174
Joined: March 7 07, 4:50 pm
Location: Tycho Crater, Luna

Re: GRB Fantasy Football 2012 Season

Post by AdmiralKird »

That Brady/V. Jackson Combo is killing. Glad I'm not playing them, although my matchup is going to come down to the wire. Never should have sat Matthews.

User avatar
clevername
Bringer of FRBG
Posts: 10380
Joined: April 16 06, 7:13 pm
Location: Alabama

Re: GRB Fantasy Football 2012 Season

Post by clevername »

don't leave out Peterson.

Wish I had started Jackson today.

Post Reply